Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Triple Variety Tomato Graft Experiment (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=29665)

Delerium August 10, 2013 07:20 PM

Triple Variety Tomato Graft Experiment

1 Attachment(s)
Pretty Happy about how this turned out. Out of the 3 varieties 2 varieties have already set tomatoes. Still waiting on the Brandywine graft to set but I am sure we will get a few before the end of the season. 2 Potato Leaf varieties with 1 regular leaf. I have about 14 grafted plants all doing excellent.

ginger2778 August 10, 2013 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=Delerium;370360]Pretty Happy about how this turned out. Out of the 3 varieties 2 varieties have already set tomatoes. Still waiting on the Brandywine graft to set but I am sure we will get a few before the end of the season. 2 Potato Leaf varieties with 1 regular leaf. I have about 14 grafted plants all doing excellent.[/QUOTE]
Very strange, and intriguing!
Andrey was describing an apple tree with 4 apple grafts and a pear on it in his think of a business thread, this is neat to do it with tomatoes. Clever. I think you have bragging rights here.
8-)8-)8-)8-)8-)

Marsha

livinonfaith August 10, 2013 07:42 PM

Oh, come on Delerium! You're making all the rest of us single variety grafters look bad!:evil: (Especially since a lot of us struggled to get even the single ones going!)

(But it is pretty darn cool!:yes:)

Delerium August 10, 2013 08:00 PM

This was the grafting experiment based on (*what i call branch grafting*) :) the friendly bet with Redbaron who was skeptic about this working out. He has been awful quiet lately (just teasing RB). So far.. I feel like I am winning the bet *smiles*

Redbaron August 10, 2013 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Delerium;370369]This was the grafting experiment based on (*what i call branch grafting*) :) the friendly bet with Redbaron who was skeptic about this working out. He has been awful quiet lately (just teasing RB). So far.. I feel like I am winning the bet *smiles*[/QUOTE] hmmmm It better be good Home-Made ketchup![ATTACH]37583[/ATTACH]

Delerium August 10, 2013 09:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Picture 1 & 2 - Macro Bin - Dual Variety Tomato Grafts
Picture 3 - Branch Graft on to Beaufort (Potato Leaf / Regular Leaf)
Picture 4 - Not impressed with Maxifort and Multifort. Beaufort is in the lead compared to the other 2 graft types.

gardenfrog August 10, 2013 09:47 PM

Did you know you can graft a tomato onto a tobacco plant?! It's true, but I wouldn't want to risk my life by eating the fruit (Ha!). : )

Salsacharley August 10, 2013 10:31 PM

Dude! (or is it Dudette)!

You're making the Christmas tree I was referring to a couple of months ago (only I was contemplating cherry plants).

Well done!

Charley

Delerium August 10, 2013 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a Father Daughter Team effort :)

The brains behind the Tomato Grafting Project

Delerium August 11, 2013 12:19 AM

[QUOTE=Salsacharley;370401]Dude! (or is it Dudette)!

You're making the Christmas tree I was referring to a couple of months ago (only I was contemplating cherry plants).

Well done!

Charley[/QUOTE]

Yeah... The Christmas Tree plans are for 2014 garden. This was more of a Trial Run to see if it was going to work or not. Still have a few months to see how these triple variety plants workout. I will update here till the end of the season. Now i have a pretty decent idea of what root stocks i wanna use again. Grafting just added a whole new level of fun!

Delerium August 11, 2013 12:20 AM

[QUOTE=livinonfaith;370365]Oh, come on Delerium! You're making all the rest of us single variety grafters look bad!:evil: (Especially since a lot of us struggled to get even the single ones going!)

(But it is pretty darn cool!:yes:)[/QUOTE]

Nah Nah! More like teasing than trying to make anyone look bad lol!

Delerium August 11, 2013 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Redbaron;370387]hmmmm It better be good Home-Made ketchup![ATTACH]37583[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

lol. You mean like this? 2nd Jar is Ketchup

livinonfaith August 11, 2013 01:40 AM

[QUOTE=Delerium;370423]Nah Nah! More like teasing than trying to make anyone look bad lol![/QUOTE]

Oh, I know! Just teasing you back.

Hey, people like you keep us on our toes and trying to do our best!

Delerium August 11, 2013 02:00 AM

[QUOTE=livinonfaith;370427]Oh, I know! Just teasing you back.

Hey, people like you keep us on our toes and trying to do our best![/QUOTE]

Growing Tomatoes will never get Dull or Boring that's for sure. My goal for next year is to grow 3 variety grafts for every plant in my growing space. Right now I am trying to decide which varieties i want on the same plant (trying to do different colors, sizes, shapes on the same plant). It's going to be lots of fun & totally cool! For eg Black Cherry, Sungold and Red Velvet on the same plant would be a sight to see..
Imagination going wild! =)

livinonfaith August 11, 2013 11:19 AM

Back when I lived in a small apartment, this would have been a dream come true! Three kinds of tomatoes in the space of one? Wow! I could have grown nine varieties of tomatoes on one tiny little patio! Totally cool, indeed!

But having given it some thought, I'll probably just live vicariously through your experiments, admiring them but not attempting them myself. These days, I have enough space for at least one plant per variety, so while the multi-grafts are ridiculously cool, they aren't necessary for me anymore.

The truth is that, I don't know how you keep them all straight! I am obsessive about labeling my seeds and plants so that I don't get them mixed up. Even so, adding in the grafting process with so many different scions, I lost track of which were which a couple of times. There were two plants that I knew were one of two varieties, but I couldn't figure out which.

That's with just one variety per plant! I'm imagining how confusing it would be with three per plant. Nope! That kind of stress might give me a stroke!:twisted: