Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Sweet red peppers for a beginner (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46722)

uno February 17, 2018 01:50 AM

Sweet red peppers for a beginner

It's been so long since I grew peppers that I'm practically a beginner.

I'm looking to try to grow a few peppers this season as long as they turn red and are not hot at all.

I was looking at Jimmy Nardello and King of the North but I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Just looking for suggestions for good sweet red pepper varieties for a new pepper grower.

Thanks

Jim

bitterwort February 17, 2018 01:57 AM

Try Lipstick. I like it red/ripe and for me it's much more prolific than bell peppers and possibly sweeter too.

Nan_PA_6b February 17, 2018 01:40 PM

Every time I hear about Jimmy Nardello, it's something good.

Nan

bower February 18, 2018 07:35 PM

I can vouch for Jimmy Nardello, and Lipstick too. One thing I'll say for Jimmy N. it is just so richly tasty everyone loves it even though it is pretty thin fleshed and really a fryer, we eat them up raw as well. Lipstick has the juicy crunchy thick walled sweet pepper thing, earlier than most and a very respectable pepper.
Good choices, both of them. :)

IronPete July 27, 2018 04:31 PM

Tolli's Sweet Italian is a great one but this thread is a few months old so maybe its too late for this year. ;-)

Pete

pmcgrady July 27, 2018 06:45 PM

I bought a 4 pack of Giant Marconi from the local greenhouse for filler plants ( I've got 130 pepper plants) and had a few replaced with these. I picked 2 a little early. The rest are green yet, but there are a dozen of them per plant. I haven't eaten one yet.[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180727/cc645c18b27ff2d1eb7cc06077602180.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nematode July 27, 2018 07:43 PM

Jimmy nardello is excellent, but not really a bell replacement, as its a thin wall.
Can't grow a bell to save my life but red belgian is an excellent sweet pepper that can replace a bell anywhere. Corno di toro can as well, but hard to get them to ripe in short season up north here.

IronPete July 27, 2018 09:25 PM

Pmcgrady those are some sweeeet peppers in both senses of the word!!

2 winters ago I was looking through the 'reduced for quick sale' bin at the local grocery store. I found a bag under their President's Choice label listed as 'perhaps the sweetest pepper in the world'. They looked just like your GMs there. I couldn't eat the ones I bought as they were starting to rot but I got seeds from them which I grew last year and was very pleased with. Seeing those 2 bad boys of yours I suspect that is what type they actually were! Pete :)

pmcgrady July 27, 2018 11:14 PM

Although I'm not growing any, everyone is raving about how well " King Arthur" are doing well this year for a red bell.

Worth1 July 28, 2018 05:28 AM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;683840]Every time I hear about Jimmy Nardello, it's something good.

Nan[/QUOTE]

The guy owes me money.:evil:

Worth

Nan_PA_6b July 28, 2018 01:06 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;709775]The guy owes me money.:evil:

Worth[/QUOTE]
:lol::lol::lol: Okay, not everything I hear about JN is good...

Nan

b54red July 28, 2018 08:20 PM

King Arthur is good and also Socrates. I am growing a lot of different bells this year and trying to keep the suckers down so they produce larger peppers and it seems to be working. Socrates is almost always the first bell to produce a ripe pepper each year and this year was no exception. If fertilized well it produces some really large peppers with nice thick walls. Revolution is another that does well but the skin is tougher on it than some bells. I think I have about 8 different varieties of bells and they all seem to be setting good now and I should have some good peppers come fall if no disaster befalls them. I am having a heck of a time with aphids on the peppers at the shady end of my garden.

Bill

Nematode July 28, 2018 11:16 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;709775]The guy owes me money.:evil:

Worth[/QUOTE]

Good luck collecting he's been planted.:))

pmcgrady July 29, 2018 12:00 AM

[QUOTE=b54red;709832]King Arthur is good and also Socrates. I am growing a lot of different bells this year and trying to keep the suckers down so they produce larger peppers and it seems to be working. Socrates is almost always the first bell to produce a ripe pepper each year and this year was no exception. If fertilized well it produces some really large peppers with nice thick walls. Revolution is another that does well but the skin is tougher on it than some bells. I think I have about 8 different varieties of bells and they all seem to be setting good now and I should have some good peppers come fall if no disaster befalls them. I am having a heck of a time with aphids on the peppers at the shady end of my garden.

Bill[/QUOTE]

I only fertilized the peppers once this year with Tomato Tone, but I make sure they have plenty of water and it seems to be working.

Cole_Robbie July 29, 2018 07:18 PM

Ajvarski Sweet is a consistent performer for me.