Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Started Very Hots (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46554)

whoose January 28, 2018 10:46 AM

Started Very Hots

After a poor season last year with very hots I am jumping the gun as recommended. My understanding I can expect low germination rates and slow growth. What is your experience?

Father'sDaughter January 28, 2018 12:11 PM

I'm starting mine in two weeks for plant out at the beginning of June.

Last year I decided to wait and started them in mid-March. It was the lowest pepper production year I've ever had, which is why I'm going back to starting them in February. And yes, slower germination and the only seeds I find bottom heat necessary for. Even then, I've had some take about two weeks to germinate.

Salsacharley January 28, 2018 12:45 PM

I'm starting super hots this week. They do much better with bottom heat and lots of patience. I'm going to soak seeds for about 5 hours before I sow this year.

BigVanVader January 28, 2018 12:50 PM

I've never had issues with pepper germination. I use a heat mat and sow in moist potting mix then cover with press & seal. I always start them Feb 1st.

Cole_Robbie January 30, 2018 01:35 AM

Yeah, they like heat. I have never had problems either, but I use a big grow light that heats up the room. I also like the ridiculously expensive Light Warrior seed starting mix, which I dilute. Most of my seeds get covered in vermiculite. I hardly notice a difference in germination and growth rates between my sweet peppers and my super hots, at least until they go out into the greenhouse and are exposed to cold nights. Then the difference is substantial. I start them late and not early for that reason. The early spring cold weather will stunt them.

ScottinAtlanta January 30, 2018 03:20 PM

Agree with others. About 75-85 degrees in the tray.

pondgardener January 30, 2018 06:17 PM

How about soaking seeds for a period of time? Methods? Benefits? Results?

George

clkeiper January 30, 2018 07:16 PM

I started my Bhut Jolakias this past week. they are already germinated. yipee! they are sloooow growers.

FourOaks February 6, 2018 09:50 PM

This year, I measured the potting mix temp. 82 degrees. I kept the trays covered with domes. Those trays were on TOP of t8 ballasts with plastic draped down to trap the heat and humidity.

4 Days, Habs. popped up. Fastest ever for me.

(whole other discussion as to whether or not Habs are "super hots" or not)

Gerardo February 6, 2018 10:02 PM

Some superhots are heartier, Trinidad Scorpion Choc comes to mind, as does regular Bhut Jolokia.

Tasmanian Habanero has great germ rates (not superhots but a cousin) .

whoose February 15, 2018 11:51 AM

not good

2 of 6 sprouted? I guess this is not too good.

Rajun Gardener February 15, 2018 12:29 PM

Give it time, some take longer and I've had some sprout 3 weeks after the others.
Patience Grasshopper!!

clkeiper February 15, 2018 05:10 PM

I ended up with about 50 germinated. I pulled the peppers off the plant and smashed them up and plopped them in the potting mix. No idea how many seeds I started with but it is the most I have ever gotten to germinate.