Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Alliums (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Garlic Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46155)

pmcgrady October 30, 2017 12:19 PM

Garlic Recipes

It was suggested that we start a garlic recipe thread, so here it is. I'll start with a easy one, only 2 ingredients.

Garlic Salt

1 cup Course Kosher Salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup peeled garlic cloves (I use 1/2 cup)

Run garlic thru food processor, then add salt.
Processed till mixed well.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread garlic salt
mixture over paper evenly.
Bake in preheated oven at 170 degrees F until dry (maybe an hour or more). When dry the garlic salt forms a hard sheet, break apart
and return to clean food processor and grind till desired texture.
Store in jars. Good stuff!

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171030/9ca1dd62c88b1c5083e08fc658493601.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171030/1d46f8a7d20e779d166b1f9747e880dc.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

imp October 30, 2017 01:16 PM

My that is handy. I don't have any recipes for garlic as the star, so will enjoy reading this thread1

MissS October 30, 2017 01:39 PM

Roasted Garlic

Take one or two heads of garlic with the paper still on. Drizzle with olive oil and roast at 350 degrees for at least 30 minutes. (I just put mine in with whatever I am roasting). The cloves become a beautiful paste. Squeeze the garlic out of each clove onto a fresh warm bread or a good cut of meat.

~ Enjoy ~

Tormato October 30, 2017 04:10 PM

Garlic necklace, tomorrow night.:bat:

AlittleSalt October 30, 2017 05:10 PM

Yes, a garlic necklace on Halloween. :skll::frank: (No vampire emoticon)
I'm interested in garlic recipes too. I like raw garlic and onions most. Pan browning them will run me out of the house. It burns my eyes.

KarenO October 30, 2017 05:51 PM

Garlic lovers would enjoy an Arabic/Lebanese sauce called "toum" It is simple to make and there are lots of recipes online, it is made with raw garlic, lemon, salt, and chilled olive oil. The technique is similar to making mayonnaise but without egg.
excellent as a sauce or dip with meats and/or breads like pita.

bower October 30, 2017 06:12 PM

MMMM, I've been thinking about the same thing. I've had 'toum' and it is :love::love::love: so good. Found a recipe on you tube (Sania's kitchen) I'm gonna try as soon as I get a fresh lemon and some sunflower oil. :yes:

bower October 30, 2017 06:26 PM

Alioli aka garlic mayonnaise

This is the recipe I use at home.

In a blender, assemble ingredients:

one egg
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp cayenne
2-3 large cloves of garlic, grated on a rasp
juice of half a lemon 1 tbsp nominally but sometimes we use 2

measure a cup of olive oil
add 1/4 cup oil to the above and process on high speed for 20 seconds,
then open the cap and slowly pour in the remaining oil in a continuous stream.

bower October 30, 2017 06:42 PM

Spanish Roja recipes

I'm hoping that someone can give me advice about Spanish Roja. I have a lot of it this year.

I really like the flavor of SR when it's raw, but I've been really disappointed using it in cooking - the flavor is so easily gone! :evil:
- Used some in roasted tomato sauce - no garlic taste detectable at all.
- Used a ton in chinese food stir fry - got one little taste from a larger piece, nothing else.
etcetera... it is basically wasted on cooking. :cry:
I had thought to make garlic powder with the extra but I can only guess that it too will be tasteless if used in cooking. :bummer:
What to do with it? (aside from the 'toum' recipe that uses a whole cup of raw cloves :yes::lol:)

Worth1 October 30, 2017 06:43 PM

Here's mine.
Garlic.

Worth

henry October 30, 2017 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=bower;669922]I'm hoping that someone can give me advice about Spanish Roja. I have a lot of it this year.

I really like the flavor of SR when it's raw, but I've been really disappointed using it in cooking - the flavor is so easily gone! :evil:
- Used some in roasted tomato sauce - no garlic taste detectable at all.
- Used a ton in chinese food stir fry - got one little taste from a larger piece, nothing else.
etcetera... it is basically wasted on cooking. :cry:
I had thought to make garlic powder with the extra but I can only guess that it too will be tasteless if used in cooking. :bummer:
What to do with it? (aside from the 'toum' recipe that uses a whole cup of raw cloves :yes::lol:)[/QUOTE]

Add the garlic late in the cooking the more you cook it the milder it gets.

dmforcier October 30, 2017 08:11 PM

[B]Garlic Soup[/B] (Sopa de Ajo)
[LIST][*] 6 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced, whites and greens separated[*] 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced [lengthwise] [is that all??][*] 6 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus extra[*] 4 tsp sweet paprika[*] 1˝ tsp smoked paprika[*] 6 oz. sourdough or other rustic bread, cut into ˝-inch cubes (about 4 cups), divided[*] 6 cups water[*] 2 Tbsp chicken bouillon (such as Knorr chicken Base) [[I]Better than Boullion[/I] is better][*] Kosher salt and ground black pepper[*] 4 large egg yolks[*] 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar (optional) [but recommended][/LIST][U]Establish the Flavor Base[/U]

In a medium saucepan over medium-low, combine the scallion whites, garlic, and 3 Tbsp of the oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to color, 8 to 10 minutes.

Add both paprikas and cook, stirring, until fragrant and darkened, 30 seconds.

[U]Add the Bread[/U]

Add 1 cup of the bread cubes and stir well. Whisk in the water and bouillon, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.

Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, whisking occasionally to break up bread, for 15 minutes. Whisk vigorously to ensure bread is thoroughly broken up.

[U]Prepare the Croutons
[/U]
Meanwhile, in a 12-inch skillet over medium, combine the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, the remaining 3 cups bread, the scallion greens, and ˝ tsp each salt and pepper.

Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.

[U]Whisk in the Yolks and Serve[/U]

In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Temper by slowly whisking in about 1 cup of the hot broth. Remove the soup from the heat. Off heat, vigorously whisk the egg yolks into the soup, then whisk in the vinegar. Taste and season with salt and pepper.

To serve, fill individual bowls with the crouton mixture, then ladle the soup over them. Drizzle with additional oil, if desired.

-----
Recipe from Milk St.
177milkstreet.com

dmforcier October 30, 2017 08:12 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;669923]Here's mine.
Garlic.

Worth[/QUOTE]

Yep. Sometimes I'll scarf down a whole clove just to keep my innards percolatin'

AlittleSalt October 30, 2017 08:27 PM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;669936]Yep. Sometimes I'll scarf down a whole clove just to keep my innards percolatin'[/QUOTE]

That also keeps away in-laws, outlaws, potential significant others, and vampires.:twisted:

MissS October 30, 2017 08:33 PM

Garlic Jelly

I found this one tonight. It sounds quite interesting.

[url]http://allrecipes.com/recipe/21147/garlic-jelly/?internalSource=recipe%20hub&referringContentType=search%20results&clickId=cardslot%2023[/url]