Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   MAGTAG™ XII - 2017 (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Two weeks until magtag vii! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=24450)

Cecilia_MD7a August 5, 2012 02:15 PM

Two weeks until magtag vii!

Yup, it's that time again.

As I mentioned in another post, I'm sorry I haven't been as on-the-ball about everything this year, but after an incredibly busy spring at work, then being laid off, then being thrust into a new job almost immediately, my head is spinning! At least after 6 years of doing this, it's almost automatic. I'm going into the MAGTAG bin in the basement to check out what kinds of supplies we already have. I'll get back to everybody about what we still need. Greg, I assume that your kids are supplying the awards and the tip box again. Is this the case? I found a prize for largest tomato when I was at the dollar store ...

The good news is that I have lots of tomatoes fruiting!

I'll post the directions to SW Area Park again soon.

gflynn August 6, 2012 03:01 PM

Cecilia,

The girls are very excited about making the awards. I will tell them to hold off on the largest award since your making it.

Let me know what you find. I could get some of that plastic roll for the tables and some sweet and hot sausages if you like but let me know what meat your hubby plans on bringing because I don't want to bring stuff that isn't necessary. Also I could just bring dogs for the kids with rolls if your husband has the meat covered as he seemed to like to do in the past.

Greg

Cecilia_MD7a August 7, 2012 09:11 PM

That's great, Greg - your kids are so creative. Bet they're especially psyched because of the Summer Olympics. I need to figure out what I did with that prize ... either that, or I'll just go back to the dollar store and get another one! Dave the Spousal Unit says he'll dig out the MAGTAG storage bin from the basement this week. We have PLENTY of supplies, although the plastic tablecloth role is definitely something we can use. I can supply some burgers, unless somebody else wants to. Dave will be happy to grill.

gflynn August 11, 2012 10:08 AM

Cecilia,

My daughters are doing the prizes today and will do a largest. Don't bother to buy another one.

Greg

gflynn August 11, 2012 10:10 AM

We are going to do top 15 again as last year so everyone gets recognition. Alot of my usuals are not doing well so I am not sure I will do as well this year. It would be nice to see more folks get recognition for their contributions.

tnpeppers August 11, 2012 11:18 AM

I have noted that the varieties of tomatoes offered at these public tastings are often indicated by writing directly on the tomato. This is a GREAT way of keeping track of the dozens of different tomatoes I have coming in the door right now. Do folks use a standard Sharpie pen, or are there food-grade markers out there that I am not aware of? I was just concerned about eating a tomato with ink that might not be considered 'food grade'...or am I just being paranoid?

kath August 11, 2012 11:29 AM

[QUOTE=tnpeppers;297851]I have noted that the varieties of tomatoes offered at these public tastings are often indicated by writing directly on the tomato. This is a GREAT way of keeping track of the dozens of different tomatoes I have coming in the door right now. Do folks use a standard Sharpie pen, or are there food-grade markers out there that I am not aware of? I was just concerned about eating a tomato with ink that might not be considered 'food grade'...or am I just being paranoid?[/QUOTE]

An industrial sharpie works better for me than the standard kind, especially if the fruits are at all damp. I mark them near the stem using small initials so that part isn't eaten by anyone...and no, I don't think you're paranoid.

kath

tnpeppers August 11, 2012 11:31 AM

Great advice...thank you! I have somewhere near 100 varieties, and I am having trouble telling some of them apart!

hank August 11, 2012 07:50 PM

You have 100 varieties? I have definitely got to get to know you. Hank

Cecilia_MD7a August 12, 2012 11:51 AM

Does anybody have any extra tomatoes to donate to the BLT bar? If not, I can get some from a local veggie stand ... I know Greg mentioned that his crop isn't as big this year because of the weird weather.

Cecilia_MD7a August 12, 2012 11:52 AM

tnpeppers, if you're coming to MAGTAG and have some unidentified tomatoes, I can use them for the BLT Bar!

gflynn August 13, 2012 11:18 AM

Cecilia,

I may have some Toms for you yet for the BLT bar. Also, if your husband is doing the grilling can you PM me his Phone # or email address. I want to cooridinate with him to make sure we arn't buying the same grilling products.

Greg

cdbva August 16, 2012 09:56 PM

What about useful stuff to bring -- paper towels, ziploc bags -- any accessories needed?

Christine

gflynn August 17, 2012 10:08 AM

Christine,

Ziploc bags and paper towels are a fine addition and as I remember, once they had no paper products in the bath room so a roll of toilet paper may be prudent.

Thanks for your help!

Greg

rsrb August 17, 2012 01:19 PM

MAGTAG

I'm new but I can also bring some paper supplies along with food.
Looking forward to learning how you-all managed to achieve harvests this year. Maybe I should bring pictures of my plants and the green baby tomatoes?
Just to reconfirm, we should aim for 10 am arrival?
Rose