Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Making More Tomato sauce (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43353)

Gardenboy December 22, 2016 03:23 PM

Making More Tomato sauce

1 Attachment(s)
Tomatoes are ripening at full force now. Been picking 10 to 12 tomatoes each day. Will have the freezer full of stewed tomatoes and sauce in no time. Plus I'm have tomatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner in some form or fashion. Best season for me so far since 2011. Hope you others are having a bountiful harvest as well. Happy Holidays to ALL!!:)

ginger2778 December 22, 2016 04:43 PM

What are the greens?

Gardenboy December 22, 2016 04:47 PM

sauteed green onions, leeks, celery. I blanch fresh basil and add to the greens and then minced sweet onions at the end.

oakley December 23, 2016 09:11 AM

Gorgeous. Just saying last night all i want for Christmas is an early August BLT, lol.
Not going to happen but i just might pick up a lousy pack of that hot house chocolate one
in all the markets and soak in a tbs of maple syrup and a splash of cider.

jtjmartin December 23, 2016 09:14 AM

Just read b54red freezes a lot of sauce too. Do many of you use a manual food processor to make the sauce? (separate the skin and seeds?)

Otherwise, what's the best way to make more tomato sauce?

Gardenboy December 23, 2016 11:46 AM

I never separate the skin and seeds. Boil the whole tomato. I remove the core if the tomato has one. To me, the flavor of the tomato is in the juice, meat and seed gel. :surprised:

Barb_FL December 23, 2016 04:41 PM

Doug - So no ice bath to remove the skin? - that's what takes so long or maybe the part I don't like the most.

Worth1 December 23, 2016 05:42 PM

We never skinned the either we just ran them through the cone thing dealy.
Then cheese cloth.

Worth

TC_Manhattan December 23, 2016 05:45 PM

What is [i]"the cone thing dealy"[/i]??

Worth1 December 23, 2016 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=TC_Manhattan;606326]What is [I]"the cone thing dealy"[/I]??[/QUOTE]

I knew someone would ask. :lol:
[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThFDoLrF4yHaLSu6q4_ucLTHJO9OnlQ8dvSTt5gVeJvVWak4jq[/IMG]

ginger2778 December 23, 2016 06:00 PM

We must be running parallel

1 Attachment(s)
Douglas, I don't skin mine either, I remove the cores, then I chop them down very fast using the Cuisinart, even green ones that I had to cut to the spots out of. Cook the sauce down to where I want the thickness to be, then I run it through my food mill. Luckily split all the skins stay in the mill, sauce goes through the holes, easy peasy . I had a huge vat of it to do.

Gardenboy December 23, 2016 06:04 PM

No, never did ice bath or the cone thing dealy...I don't mind the seeds and skin in the sauce. By the time the tomatoes boil down and cook, the skins are so thin that you don't know the skins are in the sauce. My paternal grandparents did it the same way...I learned from watching them. They were transplants from KY and knew how to can and cook tomatoes and all kinds of veggies. My grandmother would even pickle tomatoes...red and green ones. Haven't tried that yet!!:roll:

jtjmartin December 23, 2016 07:42 PM

Thanks Gardenboy. I was debating whether to buy a food mill.

I made a low-sugar barbecue sauce this summer and didn't peel the tomatoes either - it even passed my wife's more defined taste test!

Worth, I've seen those cone thingys at Goodwill. Will pick one up.

Jeff

Gardenboy December 23, 2016 08:30 PM

After boiling the tomatoes you can pick out the tougher skins that don't soften to your taste. As I've said before, I like my sauce a bit more chunky than a puree sauce. :surprised:I like to save the thinner sauce and use it for fresh tomato juice.

Barb_FL December 23, 2016 08:41 PM

Marsha - I totally forgot about the food mill. I tried it last year.

So I've made a lot of sauce, but have only froze it; any good links about canning it. We have lots of jars from when DH made pickles; just need new tops.