Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Cherokee Tiger, Dark Pear (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46302)

ContainerTed December 15, 2017 06:33 PM

Cherokee Tiger, Dark Pear

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some pictures of what I got this past season. Definitely unstable, but it sure did taste good. I'm looking for anyone else who tried this one and what results you got.

Thanks in advance.

ginger2778 December 15, 2017 06:58 PM

Ted mine looked very much like yours in the second photo, except they were absolutely pear-shaped, and there was rugose, chartreuse foliage. Did yours have chartreuse foliage?

AlittleSalt December 15, 2017 10:10 PM

Chartreuse foliage sounds interesting. I have always been interested in the way a plant looks.

Ted, I didn't know they existed, so no help from me this time.

ContainerTed December 16, 2017 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As you can see, no pear shapes. Taste was 8/10. Yes to chartreuse foliage. In my pictures above, picture #3 is actually the fruit in picture #2 cut open. Production was extremely high = I quit counting at 35 I'd estimate something over 50.

I'll grow yours along side this one this coming season. Should be "VERY interesting". (Sorry about that. I just watched an infomercial on the show "Laugh In")

Thanks, Marsha, for taking the time to look at this one.

Edited to add picture of seedlings. Now I wish I had grown out the one without the chartreuse color as well. Again, my brain is late to the party. :shock::cry:

Edited to add: And my seedlings and plant were not dwarf. Full sized indeterminate medium sized plants that produced all the way to frost.

ginger2778 December 16, 2017 11:57 AM

Was your foliage rugose? Mine grew to almost 6' but did have rugose foliage. I always have time for you Ted. Happy to help.

Patihum December 16, 2017 11:58 AM

The pear shape showed up on one of my CT Black plants back in 2014. The plant was dwarf and had chartreuse foliage. I passed the seeds out in trades in 2015. While I haven't grown it again it was used in 2 crosses using Beduoin and Cherokee Green Pear both of which have produced the pear shape but the chartreuse foliage has been hit and miss along with the dwarf size. All have produced good tasting tomatoes.

ginger2778 December 16, 2017 12:25 PM

[QUOTE=Patihum;674895]The pear shape showed up on one of my CT Black plants back in 2014. The plant was dwarf and had chartreuse foliage. I passed the seeds out in trades in 2015. While I haven't grown it again it was used in 2 crosses using Beduoin and Cherokee Green Pear both of which have produced the pear shape but the chartreuse foliage has been hit and miss along with the dwarf size. All have produced good tasting tomatoes.[/QUOTE]

Patihum was my seed source and they grew true to her pictures, except the size of the plant. Pat, was your plant a very large dwarf?

Patihum December 16, 2017 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;674896]Patihum was my seed source and they grew true to her pictures, except the size of the plant. Pat, was your plant a very large dwarf?[/QUOTE]

Yes it was fairly large but definitely dwarf - had rugose foliage.

KarenO December 16, 2017 02:54 PM

Is there also one called Cherokee tiger dark red?
When I grew that one I did not know about the expected chartreuse foliage and couldn’t figure out what was wrong with the seedlings :). Then I realized they were supposed to be that paler lime green. That one produced very firm medium beefsteaks red with yellow stripes in a shorter dwarf with very long sprawling laterals. Unusual form.
Who bred these?
KarenO

ContainerTed December 16, 2017 05:56 PM

The seeds I grew to produce the pictures and descriptions above came from MorayEelBite. Now, please know that I'm only interested in this one because it has that great tomato taste that I love to capture and present for other folks. Plus, my current efforts are to make sure I have the right name on this obviously unstable segregate.

I think growing Marsha's version along side my 2017 results will help shed some light on this issue. But I would really like to hear any other data others have to offer from their experiences.

Please, let's continue the discussion.

Patihum December 16, 2017 07:03 PM

MEB would have received the seeds from Marsha or me.

KarenO December 17, 2017 01:41 AM

[QUOTE=Patihum;674930]MEB would have received the seeds from Marsha or me.[/QUOTE]

Do you know who the breeder is?
KO

ginger2778 December 17, 2017 07:38 AM

[QUOTE=KarenO;674958]Do you know who the breeder is?
KO[/QUOTE]

I do not, do you Pat? I think it can be researched on Doc and Katie's. For some reason stuff on that site doesn't show up on a Google search.

Patihum December 17, 2017 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;674962]I do not, do you Pat? I think it can be researched on Doc and Katie's. For some reason stuff on that site doesn't show up on a Google search.[/QUOTE]

Bill Jeffers was the breeder. Original cross was Tigerette X Cherokee Purple.

KarenO December 17, 2017 11:02 AM

Thank you for this. Good to know who bred these.
Karen0