TomatovilleŽ Gardening Forums

TomatovilleŽ Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Which jalapeno for large size? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43711)

Stainless January 25, 2017 07:10 PM

Which jalapeno for large size?

I'm about to start buying seeds. Wanting to grow some large jalapenos this Summer.. some that can be stuffed and whatnot. The rest can be chopped up and made into salsa. Anyone have any recommendations?

dmforcier January 25, 2017 07:28 PM

I've grown Mammoth Jalapeņo from Bonnie Plants, and they were pretty big (not very prolific, though). But recently I've been able to buy truly enormous japs in the store. No idea what variety they are. You might lurk and see if you can snag one of them for seed.

pmcgrady January 25, 2017 07:45 PM

I'm hearing Biker Billy is a good one!

ginger2778 January 25, 2017 09:59 PM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;613627] But recently I've been able to buy truly enormous japs in the store. [/QUOTE]

Oh really? For Sumo wrestling?:)):P

AlittleSalt January 25, 2017 10:10 PM

Marsha :lol:
~~~

I am growing Mammoth Jalapeņo this year. I'm also going to take the seeds out of the 6" long almost 2" wide one I got at the grocery store today and plant them tomorrow.

shule1 January 26, 2017 03:59 AM

I tried Jalapeno Gigante F1 in 2016. I had two plants in one moving tote. So, they were a bit crowded and probably could have gotten bigger. They weren't huge, but they were quite fat/broad, and good for stuffing. They were much fatter proportionately than the ones pictured on Burpee. Production was good. They didn't have much of the jalapeno flavor I'm familiar with, though, unfortunately.

I saved seeds if anyone wants F2s to try for breeding (although they may be crossed with any number of other peppers, including, but not limited to, the following: Black Jalapeno, Randy Sine's Evil Jalapeno, Jumbo Jalapeno, Corbaci, Planet F1, etc.) I don't bag my blossoms since I want them to cross (but I let them do it on their own, if they're going to).

Randy Sine's Evil Jalapeno sure had awesome flavor (it has a good strong jalapeno flavor that also reminded me of bacon); however, it's a pretty thin pepper (like a serrano); so, it's more difficult to stuff.

Anyway, Jalapeno Gigante F1 is supposed to be up to 5 inches long. My somewhat crowded ones were maybe 3 inches at the most.

Patihum January 26, 2017 05:50 AM

Out of the 5 varieties of jalapeno that I grew last year Numex Jalmundo was easily the largest.

Worth1 January 26, 2017 06:52 AM

Store bought for me too, at 0.058 cents a pound it is totally not worth growing them.
I think they fertilize them with rice to make them so big.:))
Worth

ginger2778 January 26, 2017 07:26 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;613723]Store bought for me too, at 0.058 cents a pound it is totally not worth growing them.
I think they fertilize them with rice to make them so big.:))
Worth[/QUOTE]

Worth, I don't think they cost only 58 1000ths of a cent per pound. Maybe you meant that they cost 58 cents?

Worth1 January 26, 2017 07:37 AM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;613726]Worth, I don't think they cost only 58 1000ths of a cent per pound. Maybe you meant that they cost 58 cents?[/QUOTE]

Stupid auto correct again. :lol:

roper2008 January 26, 2017 07:55 AM

Even though Jalapeno's are cheap in the stores. I still prefer to grow my own plants, and
pick them as needed. It is my most used pepper.

I grew Mammoth Jalapeņo last year and they were pretty big.

mecktom January 26, 2017 08:40 AM

Another good one, Marsha!��

My Foot Smells January 26, 2017 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=roper2008;613735]Even though Jalapeno's are cheap in the stores. I still prefer to grow my own plants, and
pick them as needed. It is my most used pepper.

I grew Mammoth Jalapeņo last year and they were pretty big.[/QUOTE]

great for stuffing for sure. had one LY and grew 6ft tall and loaded with 100's of peppers. store bought here goes soft quickly, are not well maintained and often soft at the store (locally speaking). I wonder how long it takes to pick, bring to market, and stock? My guess would be min. 3 days, which is way too long.

I like to pick my pepper fresh off the plant for dinner. Although the mammoth is not best in taste and lacks the heat of reg. jap, they can easily get to 6". They are great grilled (cored) with a cream cheese medley and bacon topper.

imo.

gssgarden January 26, 2017 10:14 AM

Goliath Jalapeno from Totally tomatoes has been in my garden for years. Very prolific plants with large fruits for sure! I can't ask for anything more and see no reason to change.

I like to grow them to pick as needed. Also have made Jalapeno Shrimp boats with them with cream cheese! :)

Greg

rdback January 26, 2017 12:05 PM

Another vote for Burpee's Biker Billy. It's grows to a nice size, but the thing I like is the heat. I've grown at least 10 different jalapenos over the years, and BB is the spiciest. The only thing I don't like is its an F1 hybrid, so seed-saving isn't an option.