Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Legumes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Gigandes Beans (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=21269)

Fusion_power February 8, 2012 01:56 PM

Gigandes Beans

I received a pound and a half of Gigandes beans this morning, cost to me was $22. These beans are HUGE. They are all over an inch long and some of them are over an inch and a half. These are clearly Runner Beans, not Lima.
[URL]http://www.allgreektome.net/[/URL]

The website is just a link to their Ebay page.

I am going to try germinating these beans and see if they grow.

DarJones

Tormato February 8, 2012 02:06 PM

Darrel,

I might have found something of yours that you can send me, in exchange for what I sent you.;)

Gary

Goldie February 8, 2012 02:17 PM

I hope you will keep us posted with your results, taste and growth habit. Sounds very interesting

akgardengirl February 8, 2012 02:41 PM

I love those beans! I buy them marinated in olive oil, spices and vinegar from the antipasto bar at a local super market and they are very expensive. I just went and ordered some also. I hope you get a huge crop of these beans so that I can buy them from you.
Sue B.

Fusion_power February 8, 2012 02:54 PM

Folks, if you are interested, I will send you a pack of 20 seed for $4. I only have enough beans to make up about 10 packs plus keep 100 of them to grow and see if I can get them to mature. The seed will be unselected, in other words, whatever size hits my hand first is the size I will ship.

$1.50 for 20 beans
$0.65 for a bubble mailer
$1.50 estimated postage
I am rounding up to $4.00

You can always go to the website I listed above and purchase them for about $12 per 13 ounce bag which contains roughly 150 seed. Please remember that runner beans are adapted to cool long moderate climates. They do NOT normally produce a crop in the deep south.

DarJones

Jeannine Anne February 8, 2012 03:37 PM

Fusion..you know how I so deparately am looking for them.

XX Jeannine

Got them..fingers crossed they are the right size..as you know from the other thread I have been searching for replacements for mine and have bought many others.. but the size sounds right by your description. I haf founf=d inch ones several times but the elusive bigger I was use was what I was after.

Stay in touch, maybe one of will germinate them and be able to share fresher ones later.

Thank you

XX Jeannine

akgardengirl February 8, 2012 03:49 PM

I know that runner beans are grown for the flowers here but I don't think our season is long enough to produce the beans. It certainly is cool enough tho.
Sue B

Jeannine Anne February 8, 2012 03:57 PM

I have grown Gigandes in BC and in the UK for years. I start them in 3 inch pots as early as I dare

I don't know about Alaska though they are pretty long season runners but very special.

XX Jeannnine

PNW_D February 8, 2012 10:55 PM

Eva's recipes are really good, here's a video clip

[URL]http://thursdayfordinner.com/2008/11/gigantesyiyantes-greek-giant-baked-beans/[/URL]

edited to add I haven't tried this particular recipe, not sure if pressure cooker was used or not??

Petronius_II February 8, 2012 11:38 PM

(deleted) This post was a mess... That'll teach me to try to figure out what's being said in a video when my sound card doesn't work and I can't hear it...

Zeedman February 8, 2012 11:41 PM

Congratulations, Fusion, on your find. As you know from another forum, I've been searching for these for quite some time. Like Jeannine, I've found that there are both limas & runners sold by the name "Gigandes" (or variations thereof) and most of those I've come across were limas, even when they claimed otherwise. I'll be ordering some myself.

Petronius_II February 8, 2012 11:53 PM

Darrell, I sent an Ebay message to the dealer, asking if the beans were oven-dried or air-dried. Just got back his reply, they're air-dried and should be good to plant after being soaked in water for approximately 24 hours.

I think I want some too, will send PM shortly.

Farmette February 8, 2012 11:56 PM

Darrell:
Sounds like these would grow in Wisconsin. I would like to take you up on your offer for the 20 seeds. PM coming.
Thanks
Chris

Petronius_II February 9, 2012 12:04 AM

@ PNW_D: The gist of the embarrassingly inept post I deleted was, I don't think Eva used a pressure cooker, and I don't think she used dried beans. I think she was using freshly shelled Gigantes the whole time.

I still sort of think so, but then I realized that all the rest of you have working sound cards on your computers and can actually [I]hear [/I]what she's saying... And yateda yateda... Don't wanna look even more like a fool than I usually do, should it happen that I'm obviously wrong...

Jeannine Anne February 9, 2012 03:40 AM

Plaki is a regular dish in my house

|XX Jeannine