Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Peppadew Patent (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=11806)

tomatoaddict July 18, 2009 12:57 PM

Peppadew Patent

It was always my understanding that there was an attempt to get a patent on the Peppadew but that it was denied.
One of my blog readers sent me this link to a copy of the actual patent application by Peppadew International. If I'm reading it right, it looks like they were given a full patent right to it. :no:
[URL]http://apps.ams.usda.gov/PVPO/CertificateDatabase//AdobeImages/009800051.pdf[/URL]

Maybe someone wiser than me can read this and see if that is correct.

kevokie July 18, 2009 02:20 PM

Well, it is definately interesting. It does appear to be a legit document, but then again, I don't read legalese. I didn't know the name of it was Juanita.

ContainerTed July 18, 2009 04:04 PM

While page 1 (the Certificate page) looks good, there are so many corrections (WITHOUT ANYONE'S INITIALS OR ?????) on the subsequent pages, that, as a former U.S. government worker trained in US DoD contracts, I have all kinds of red flags going up on this. Usually, changes are made by some kind of official amendment with additional signatures, etc. Strike-thrus are usually only found on Draft documents and then only with someone's initials.

Something seems out of the ordinary here. However, after looking at a few other patent approvals, it seems the pencil-in stuff is not uncommon.

Ted

Blueaussi July 19, 2009 12:23 PM

I've been hearing chatter about this pepper for a while now, but I've never heard from anyone who'd had one fresh, just pickled or canned. I was also under the impression that the taste had as much to do with how it was pickled as how the pepper tasted. So, I'm wondering if there will be any market for it beyond a burst of novelty interest.

remy July 19, 2009 10:09 PM

That was an interesting document. It is a very good plant id aid. So peppadew is a baccatum type which requires a long growing season. They grow well in pots and can be brought in for the winter. In case anyone is growing a baccatum type pepper.
Remy

Blueaussi July 20, 2009 12:27 PM

Well, not all baccatuums do well in containers. Some are quite tall and sprawly, and do much better in the ground. Baccatuums that I have grown that do better in the ground are Bishops Hat, Chaco Yellow, Pilange, and Queen Laurie.

svalli July 20, 2009 04:54 PM

I have jar of peppadews in fridge. The pickling liquid is so sweet that I would not known by taste that they are baccatums.

I have four baccatum plants growing in pots indoors. I have found earlier that overwintering them and pruning makes them grow more compact. Now I have bent the braches down in circles to keep them from growing all over.

remy July 20, 2009 07:15 PM

[quote=Blueaussi;138305]Well, not all baccatuums do well in containers. Some are quite tall and sprawly, and do much better in the ground. Baccatuums that I have grown that do better in the ground are Bishops Hat, Chaco Yellow, Pilange, and Queen Laurie.[/quote]

I think you missed my point. I was sort of saying that if you lived up north, and if you were growing a certain baccatum pepper, and if you were worried about getting a harvest from that certain pepper that you might have luck in pot and bringing it indoors. Not that anyone would be growing a certain baccatum pepper.;)

Remy

Blueaussi July 20, 2009 09:44 PM

[QUOTE=remy;138365]I think you missed my point. I was sort of saying that if you lived up north, and if you were growing a certain baccatum pepper, and if you were worried about getting a harvest from that certain pepper that you might have luck in pot and bringing it indoors. Not that anyone would be growing a certain baccatum pepper.;)

Remy[/QUOTE]

*sigh*

Sometimes it's so hard to be a blond.

Sorry, I let my general enthusiasm for the species bubble over.

remy July 20, 2009 10:24 PM

[quote=Blueaussi;138390]*sigh*

Sometimes it's so hard to be a blond.

Sorry, I let my general enthusiasm for the species bubble over.[/quote]
:lol: I have that problem often, and I can't blame it one being blonde!

Remy

tomatoaddict July 24, 2009 07:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, Here's some pics of what is supposed to be Peppadews. Taken today.

Blueaussi July 24, 2009 08:12 PM

Can you get one of the flowers? Baccatuum flowers are pretty distinct, they have green around the inside of the petals.

Barbee July 24, 2009 10:37 PM

Sure is a purty plant TomatoAddict.

Zana July 24, 2009 10:59 PM

Terry,
My how they've grown since you showed me those plants 3 weeks ago! Hope the rest of your garden is flourishing. I'll be interested to see what the peppadews are supposed to look like since I've never seen any...as yet.
Z

tomatoaddict July 25, 2009 12:14 AM

Blue, I will take a pic tomorrow of the flowers. Yes, they do have a greenish color around the inside. These are the tallest peppers I have ever grown.