Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Sweet but spicy (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44470)

Starlight April 7, 2017 09:14 PM

Sweet but spicy

I have several types of seed that say , " Sweet but Spicy" or "Sweet and mildly hot" in the descriptions.

I don't know what the spicy means or if that another word for hot or not. What I'm trying to figure out is if those with that type of description need to be grown in a different section than in all sweets. I want my sweets to stay sweet.

Do I need three areas? Sweet, mildly hot and regular hots? I'm not sure if those that say sweet but mildly hot will turn real hot if they in with the hots, but don't want my sweets with any heat.

dmforcier April 8, 2017 02:11 PM

Starlight, you're making trouble and confusion for yourself with this artificial distinction between "hot" peppers and "sweet" peppers. [B]It isn't real.[/B]
[B]
[U]ALL[/U][/B] peppers are of the genus [I]Capsicum[/I], so named because they [B][U]ALL[/U][/B] produce capsaicin, the heat juice. Some produce more and some produce less -- how much depends on growing conditions and the fickle will of the fickle garden [STRIKE]gnom[/STRIKE] .. gods.

And no, heat doesn't "leak" between plants, nor is it infectious.

Just plant them where you want them and watch out for cross-pollination in last year's seeds. (Sometimes that can't be detected until pods.)

Worth1 April 8, 2017 02:54 PM

Drives me up the wall when people say "spicy" for hot peppers in food.
Starlight this in not pointed towards you but the description of food and peppers.

As was said no the bell peppers wont be hot this year but the seeds may very well produce a hot cross next year.

Planting hot peppers next to non hot peppers and saying it will make the fruit hot is hog wash.
Just not gonna happen.

Worth

Gardeneer April 9, 2017 09:56 PM

Spicy pepper ?
Pepper can have heat or no heat like bell peppers.
Then there are mild peppers. I can think of Poblano as mildly hot. The next up is regular Jalapeno. Its heat is just in the placenta . Serrano is hot (~ 6k on Scoville ?)

swellcat April 10, 2017 10:28 AM

Sounds delicious.

Starlight April 15, 2017 09:32 AM

Finally getting to a computer. Yah! I was still in my freak-out mode of computer problems when I made the first post. Sorry wasn't a bit clearer, my mind was gone at the time, not that it around much anyways. ; )

That's what I was wondering. I'll bag some of the peppers for seed and then the rest I will just let do their thing. I will save seed from those for my personal use.

Though I didn't say it at the time, what I was wondering was about the seed for next year if the ones that said spicy were going to have heat or even low heat and if they did cross with ones that are sweet tasting, if the unbagged fruits will pick up the spiciness and if so, how far away do they need to be from the sweets to try and prevent some cross pollination.

Am I making any sense yet? LOL

roper2008 April 19, 2017 08:23 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;630445]Drives me up the wall when people say "spicy" for hot peppers in food.
Starlight this in not pointed towards you but the description of food and peppers.

As was said no the bell peppers wont be hot this year but the seeds may very well produce a hot cross next year.

Planting hot peppers next to non hot peppers and saying it will make the fruit hot is hog wash.
Just not gonna happen.

Worth[/QUOTE]

Peppers do cross pollinate.