Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Legumes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Scarlet runner beans. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39451)

Worth1 January 23, 2016 10:35 AM

Scarlet runner beans.

Scarlet runner beans I know they have been talked about here before someplace but I cant find it.
Thinking of finding some and planting them in the front for show and the critters.
What is your experience and in what type of soil.
In good soil how long (Vines)could I expect them to get?

Worth

PNW_D January 23, 2016 11:58 AM

mine used to grow up into the nearby hazelnut tree ....... very long vines, but slow to set here in PNW

JoParrott January 23, 2016 12:02 PM

Runner beans don't set beans in my climate- 2 years ago I grew one from Park's -I think it was named Stardust--it made beautiful vines with huge foliage and blossoms--not one bean! I posted asking what was wrong and someone said runner beans only set in cool summers-which ain't here!

Worth1 January 23, 2016 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=JoParrott;527560]Runner beans don't set beans in my climate- 2 years ago I grew one from Park's -I think it was named Stardust--it made beautiful vines with huge foliage and blossoms--not one bean! I posted asking what was wrong and someone said runner beans only set in cool summers-which ain't here![/QUOTE]

There is also from what I have heard too much nitrogen that causes this.
I dont buy this to a point.
I think it is an imbalance of fertilizer.
My reasoning behind this is I planted pole beans last year and the soil was hammered with nitrogen plus everything else.
I had a good crop.
Worth

JoParrott January 23, 2016 12:48 PM

I also don't agree on too much nitrogen- because I grew Kwintus pole beans close to the runner beans, and got a great harvest--- I don't supplement my soil with nitrogen, so I know that wasn't the problem. I looked back to some of my posts on Dave's Garden Forum--I received several replies that runner beans need cool, humid summers to set beans. Coming from 3 different people I tend to agree.

Worth1 January 23, 2016 12:59 PM

[QUOTE=JoParrott;527580]I also don't agree on too much nitrogen- because I grew Kwintus pole beans close to the runner beans, and got a great harvest--- I don't supplement my soil with nitrogen, so I know that wasn't the problem. I looked back to some of my posts on Dave's Garden Forum--I received several replies that runner beans need cool, humid summers to set beans. Coming from 3 different people I tend to agree.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.
It doesn't look like it would do well for me.

Worth

Worth1 January 23, 2016 01:14 PM

I just did a wee bit of looking on line, not gonna happen.:lol:
One of the problems is people say they come from Mexico and bla bla.
Well Mexico isn't all desert hot and dry.:lol:
I will look for some sort of cow pea or yard long bean to grow like I did one year.
I need something to fill in my arbor and I want a big bean Teepee in the front yard.
Worth

KarenO January 23, 2016 01:29 PM

hmmm scarlet runner beans grow well here. maybe 12 feet, lots of red blossoms that attract hummingbirds and bees. Very attractive and the beans are delicious, very large but delicious eaten under say 10".
I think they would grow well for you. they are from the mountains in central America but also are known to be grown commercially in north Africa and Greece according to wiki.
never know til you try. They are very ornamental as well as edible.
I have also grown a Dutch variety with white seed and white blooms. very similar.
KarenO

Worth1 January 23, 2016 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=KarenO;527600]hmmm scarlet runner beans grow well here. maybe 12 feet, lots of red blossoms that attract hummingbirds and bees. Very attractive and the beans are delicious, very large but delicious eaten under say 10".
I think they would grow well for you. they are from the mountains in central America but also are known to be grown commercially in north Africa and Greece according to wiki.
never know til you try. They are very ornamental as well as edible.
I have also grown a Dutch variety with white seed and white blooms. very similar.
KarenO[/QUOTE]

If I run across some I am going to give them a try anyway.
It wont be the first time I grew something I wasn't supposed to be able to grow.

I still have a volunteer pinto bean plant growing in the yard.:lol:

Worth

PNW_D January 23, 2016 01:41 PM

didn't know this .........

[QUOTE]Unlike snap beans, runner beans require pollination by bees to set seed.[/QUOTE][URL]https://www.westcoastseeds.com/shop/vegetable-seeds/bean-seeds/runner-bean-seeds/[/URL]

PhilaGardener January 23, 2016 01:45 PM

How about Chinese red noodle beans (Vigna)? Very vigorous for me (topped an 8-9 foot trellis), seemed to love the heat, and good in stir fries. Glad to share some seed (a few years old now) if you PM your mailing address, Worth!

Worth1 January 23, 2016 02:05 PM

[QUOTE=PhilaGardener;527610]How about Chinese red noodle beans (Vigna)? Very vigorous for me (topped an 8-9 foot trellis), seemed to love the heat, and good in stir fries. Glad to share some seed (a few years old now) if you PM your mailing address, Worth![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer but I am swamped in beans.
I still have to figure out where I am going to plant some roman type beans from south America.:lol:

Worth

Redbaron January 23, 2016 02:47 PM

Why not the Hyacinth Bean for you Worth? It is also an ornamental perennial, edible and vining. Very much like the scarlet runner, but it is a more tropical plant.

Worth1 January 23, 2016 02:57 PM

[QUOTE=Redbaron;527639]Why not the Hyacinth Bean for you Worth? It is also an ornamental perennial, edible and vining. Very much like the scarlet runner, but it is a more tropical plant.[/QUOTE]

I think one of my friends grew that one year and it took up the whole fence I might look for it today.
What I would really like to have is grapes growing on the arbor.
And I need to dig up a Butterfly vine and move it.
Worth

Tracydr January 23, 2016 03:09 PM

I couldn't get them to set in AZ but they were quite pretty in the spring.
Now,hyacinth bean on the other hand,made itself into quite a native in my AZ yard. That is a much better bet for your climate.
I grew mine up the palm trees with some strings that I hung from up high with a ladder. Once they got close to the canopy they covered it. The whole thing was pretty amazing to look at.