Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   The Workbench: BIY™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Easy Flower Beds (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43192)

AlittleSalt November 29, 2016 03:06 PM

Easy Flower Beds

4 Attachment(s)
There's an oak tree about 25' away from the window I sit beside while at the computer. I've looked at it countless times thinking, "I need to do something to make it look better." Not that it was ugly, but there were a few briars growing near it that I would mow.

I didn't take any before pictures, so I took a picture of a tree that looks basically the same (First picture).

I dug out the briar roots and dug a trench around the tree a few inches deep. The soil there is heavy clay. Luckily, it rained yesterday morning and there were no shallow roots to dig around. Then I placed stones around the perimeter and filled the trench with sandy loam, mulched oak leaves, and 10-10-10.

The easy part is where the stones come into play. Being there is no concrete or mortar involved - you can change the shape of the flower bed however you like. I chose an oval/roundish shape to match the tree.

I like the natural look of stone, but you could use brick, pavers, wood, whatever you like. It's just an easy flower bed. Those are second year onions planted in it. Sometime next year, I'll plant some shade loving perennials in that bed. After I post this, I'll go take some pictures of shade loving plants.

AlittleSalt November 29, 2016 03:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The first picture is of Asparagus Fern (A little burry) It grows in almost complete shade. This is third year of growing in the same place.

The second picture is of Oxalis Triangularis. It is growing in dappled shade. This is the second year for them.

I have not researched Asparagus Fern or Oxalis Triangularis to know if they have bulbs or ??? Both keep their color until a heavy freeze gets them, and both come back the next spring.

The third and forth pictures are of Wandering Jew. They have been growing out here forever I think. They are very easy to start new plants.

GrowingCoastal November 29, 2016 09:06 PM

Up here we grow the Wandering Jew, fern and Oxalis as houseplants. The Oxalis do have little bulbs. I keep a purple one on the patio and it dies back over winter.

AlittleSalt April 9, 2017 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The second year onions grew well even with a couple of nights of 10 and 12F temperatures. Yesterday, I watched a half grown squirrel running up and down the tree and squashing my onion plants, and today, it is our pregnant cat making it her nesting area... The discolored torn up ground in the picture was donated by some armadillos.

Worth1 April 9, 2017 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;630621]The second year onions grew well even with a couple of nights of 10 and 12F temperatures. Yesterday, I watched a half grown squirrel running up and down the tree and squashing my onion plants, and today, it is our pregnant cat making it her nesting area... The discolored torn up ground in the picture was donated by some armadillos.[/QUOTE]

:))

Worth

Nattybo! April 9, 2017 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;630621]The second year onions grew well even with a couple of nights of 10 and 12F temperatures. Yesterday, I watched a half grown squirrel running up and down the tree and squashing my onion plants, and today, it is our pregnant cat making it her nesting area... The discolored torn up ground in the picture was donated by some armadillos.[/QUOTE]

Aww, silly kitty, don't make your nest there! She prolly likes it b/c the soil is all soft and fluffy.

Our momma cats were given a closet in a quiet room. But we were a family of a bunch of girls and we wanted to see and love on all the pretty babies. :love:

Love your garden and plants! I need to do something around here. Ty for the inspiration:)