Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Early moonbeam watermelon. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=40624)

MikeInCypress April 10, 2016 11:25 PM

Early moonbeam watermelon.

Does anyone have experience growing this one? I got it from SESE and was intrigued by their description of having 18"l vines.

MikeInCypress

Scooty September 3, 2016 02:24 PM

Thanks Mike for sharing seeds! It's the same here as you described in Texas. Short 3 foot vines with watermelons. I planted late so they are still ripening.

luigiwu September 4, 2016 12:15 AM

How many fruit on each 3ft vine? I'm super curious!

Scooty September 6, 2016 02:09 PM

Don't know about per vine. but it's 2-3 per plant for me.

ddsack September 6, 2016 09:10 PM

Looking forward to a taste review from you guys! I've never had a yellow fleshed watermelon, do they taste the same as the pinks, or is there a definite difference in flavor notes? Really interested in the 3 ft vines!

imp September 6, 2016 11:07 PM

I have some seed for these, so looking forward to how they do and taste, too!

How did the melon seeds I sent you do, scooty?

And, I want to know about the dogs in your avatar, LOL, greyhound and inca terrir???

Scooty September 6, 2016 11:48 PM

[QUOTE=imp;591296]I have some seed for these, so looking forward to how they do and taste, too!

How did the melon seeds I sent you do, scooty?

And, I want to know about the dogs in your avatar, LOL, greyhound and inca terrir???[/QUOTE]

They did pretty well. The first of Sakatas is just about to ripen. We just finished off a Noir de Carmes. Really tasty. Smelled like cotton candy even before we opened it. We're growing other melons too, don't remember all the names off top of my head.

Also the little one is a Manchester Terrier.

imp September 7, 2016 12:46 PM

Oh, both breeds are lovely dogs- and I'll guess the little one is also a standard size? We had one growing up- he loved to ride in my bicycle's front basket.

I only sent you two varieties, the Sakata Sweet and the Ha'Ogen. Both only are happy when it is very hot. Hope you enjoy them both.

Scooty September 17, 2016 09:42 PM

[QUOTE=imp;591362]Oh, both breeds are lovely dogs- and I'll guess the little one is also a standard size? We had one growing up- he loved to ride in my bicycle's front basket.

I only sent you two varieties, the Sakata Sweet and the Ha'Ogen. Both only are happy when it is very hot. Hope you enjoy them both.[/QUOTE]

The Sakata was good. Smelled like a sweet apple. We're about to crack open a Ha'ogen. Glad to be able to harvest a few. This morning we discovered someone (or something) poached one of the Ha'ogens near the road.

Scooty September 23, 2016 04:57 PM

Poop. Now I know its someone and not something! Second melon was poached just as it was finishing to ripe. Argggg...