Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Today's Harvest (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39383)

natural January 18, 2016 12:42 PM

Today's Harvest

1 Attachment(s)
It will drop into the teens here tonight. Figured I had better harvest some veggies. I love harvesting veggies in late January. It feels like some sort of accomplishment at a time when nothing else is happening.

Today's harvest includes brussels spouts, 3 colors of carrots, a few fennel bulbs, scarlet turnips (my favorites) and some heads of romanesco cauliflower. I have lots of greens as well, but I am taking a break from those for a few days.

Looks like I will have an Italian feast tonight.

Bill

ChiliPeppa January 18, 2016 12:51 PM

Beautiful!

RobinB January 18, 2016 02:01 PM

Bill, that's fantastic! I hope that next January, I can post a photo like this!

Deborah January 18, 2016 02:18 PM

Wow! Enjoy dinner!

charline January 18, 2016 02:23 PM

wow, enjoy it!
I too love Romanesco and purple carrots...

natural January 18, 2016 03:52 PM

Thanks everyone!

Charline, the purple carrots are Purple 68 from Johnny's. They are easily the best tasting purple carrot that I have tried. They are sweet and tender even when raw.

This is my first attempt at growing romanesco cauliflower. It is definitely later maturing. My kids love it and they do not like white cauliflower.

natural January 18, 2016 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I forgot to include the italian escarole. They get HUGE. The plate in the photo is a full size dinner plate. One head of escarole dwarfs the plate.

jmsieglaff January 18, 2016 04:46 PM

Impressing looking mid-winter haul! What is the coldest you've been this winter and have you given any of these protection?

sdambr January 18, 2016 04:47 PM

YUM! :D

natural January 18, 2016 05:25 PM

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;526250]Impressing looking mid-winter haul! What is the coldest you've been this winter and have you given any of these protection?[/QUOTE]

We hit 23 degrees last week for a few nights. I use heavy rowcover on the lettuces. Everything else has survived without protection.

I expect to lose the turnips, cauliflower, broccoli tonight. I harvested most of those today.

I am growing 6 varieties of kale. Each one has a 25 ft long bed. I am specifically checking the cold tolerance of the kales. Most of the kales take a pretty severe hit when we drop below 20.

luigiwu January 18, 2016 05:59 PM

AHmazing!!

AlittleSalt January 18, 2016 06:06 PM

That looks wonderful.

RobinB January 18, 2016 06:59 PM

Bill,
I ordered some "Scarlet Ohno" Turnips from Pinetree. Is that what you're growing? Funny thing about cauliflower and kids. Mine doesn't like the romansco, but likes the white. He picked out some purple (graffitti) to grow out this spring (just to try) and for next fall definitely.

lexxluthor January 18, 2016 07:00 PM

Nice pics.

Worth1 January 18, 2016 07:23 PM

Made me hungry I had to stop and eat.:lol:

Worth