Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Czech OP tomatoes- my project 2014-2016 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=30253)

MrBig46 June 13, 2014 05:09 PM

Darin,
That is right. I understand you. I agree with you that the name of the tomato should somehow correspond to the name of that immigrant.That he was Czech will be already highlighted in the story that will always be in that tomato story.
A nice day Vladimír

MrBig46 June 14, 2014 12:57 AM

I´m not a fan of renaming tomato varieties,but I had a good time with Google on Wednesday.
I´m not a fan of renaming tomato varieties,but I had a good time with Google on Wednesday.
Topic: Czech tomato – Urbikany
I wrote: Urbikany is not Czech word. It's probably in Hungarian.
Google: No, this is not a Hungarian word
I: In what language is it?
Google: Indonesian, but can not translate it
I: Urbikany could be any city in Indonesia
Google maps: No it is not
I: And so Urbicany ?
Google maps: Yes, they are Vrbičany in Czech Republic
I: In what language is Urbicany?
Google: English
I: Urbikany is Czech bush tomato that properly appointed Vrbičanské nízké (Vrbicanske nizke)
Vladimír

carolyn137 June 14, 2014 09:41 AM

[QUOTE=MrBig46;417468]I´m not a fan of renaming tomato varieties,but I had a good time with Google on Wednesday.
Topic: Czech tomato – Urbikany
I wrote: Urbikany is not Czech word. It's probably in Hungarian.
Google: No, this is not a Hungarian word
I: In what language is it?
Google: Indonesian, but can not translate it
I: Urbikany could be any city in Indonesia
Google maps: No it is not
I: And so Urbicany ?
Google maps: Yes, they are Vrbičany in Czech Republic
I: In what language is Urbicany?
Google: English
I: Urbikany is Czech bush tomato that properly appointed Vrbičanské nízké (Vrbicanske nizke)
Vladimír[/QUOTE]

Vladimir, I couldn't help laughing at your Google experience that you described above.

Right now I'm expecting Rob to bring the few plants that Freda will be taking care of, but here it is the midlle of June and she still doesn't have the gro bags and containers ready for plants. So all I can hope for is a very late frost.

I'll be back later and post about the most famous Czechoslovakian family heirloom I know of, yes, a large pink.:)

Carolyn

Desert Jonathan June 14, 2014 03:20 PM

Hello Darin and Vladimir how are you today ?
Darin those are some beutifull looking tomato pictures you shared. I think i have a possible solution for you if you cannot figure out the true name of this tomato and are left giving it a name. In respect to where the immigrant is from and that he is indeed a new warm and happy face on our shores here in the USA, maybe you might consider naming this wonderfull tomato
"Czech immigrant".

Just a thought. Happy and fruitfull gardening,

-Jonathan.

carolyn137 June 14, 2014 04:08 PM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;417496]Vladimir, I couldn't help laughing at your Google experience that you described above.

Right now I'm expecting Rob to bring the few plants that Freda will be taking care of, but here it is the midlle of June and she still doesn't have the gro bags and containers ready for plants. So all I can hope for is a very late frost.

I'll be back later and post about the most famous Czechoslovakian family heirloom I know of, yes, a large pink.:)

Carolyn[/QUOTE]

And I'm back, Rob delivered the tomato plants and then a neighbor stopped by and talked forever.

This is the Czechoslovakian family heirloom I referred to above:

[url]http://www.tomatofest.com/mariannas-peace-heirloom-tomato.html[/url]

And here is Tania's page for it which gives yet more information:

[url]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Marianna%27s_Peace#tab=General_Info[/url]

Vladimir, I went to Wikepedia to read up on which lands/areas were in Czechoslovakia originally and which ones didn't get included when The Czech Republic became a country, formally, in 1993.

So I can also speak of Slovakia, and Iva is from there and has sent to me several wonderful Slovakian heirloom varieties, ones I remember are Istra, Primorski Pacug, and now Domac Dolenjski, for growout this summer.

Between about 1880 and 1920 there were large immigrations to the US from countries in Western Europe, trying to escape various wars and trying to find a better life.

If I had the time right now, which I don't, I could go through many of my older SSE Yearbooks, where I know there are many from the former Czechkoslovakia, and that's b'c SSE was started in 1975 and as the membership grew members were looking for seeds from neighbors, and other contacts aswell.

I did the same, asking students and faculty where I taught if their families brought seeds to the US when they immigrated.

Some of those varieties would include:

Sandul Moldovan
Chris Ukranian
Bulgarian #7
Crnkovic Yugoslavian
Gogosha
Opalka
Soldacki

And many more from other contacts I made locally where I lived at the time such as Olena Ukranian, Kiev, Khirhiv and many more.

Most of the time the families had no name for the tomato seeds they brought with them, so we worked together to name them in English.

And in my seed offers here at Tville you'll see even more from W Europe when folks were visiting relatives back there and specifically asked where they could find some local heirlooms. I remember two are Mala Bishka and Zleovo from Macedonia.

I am both excited and thrilled when someone sends me some new heirlooms b/c only by distributing seeds can the varieties be preserved. Which is why I originally listed so many varieties in the SSE YEarbooks since for many years SSE itself asked for seeds back for their seed bank.

I also have sent seeds to many seed places for them to trial.

There are many countries that have been breeding varieties, as I'm sure you know, so it's important to me that I distinguish between family heirlooms and CV ( commercial varieties) that have been bred. But many of those newer ones that have been bred are also excellent.

Some family heirlooms being grown this summer for seed production include:

Meaty Russian
Anaga Pink and Anaga Red, from the Republic of Georgia
Mom's Heart from Romania as well as Pink Delice, Michaela's Pink and Garden Red Pride from Romania

Tekins' Bulgarian
George's Giant Italian Red
Stoina's Bulgarian
Acem, from Turkey
Turkish large Red
Gonen Red, from Turkey
Kivircik Balikesir, from Turkey

... to name a few.

And if you find some family heirlooms from the Czech Republic or neighboring areas that you could send me seeds for, perhaps we could work out a trade of something, I suppose tomato seeds,:lol:, but I love most pastries and chocolates from other countries as well.:D:lol::?::roll:

Carolyn

MrBig46 June 15, 2014 02:01 AM

[QUOTE=Desert Jonathan;417570]Hello Darin and Vladimir how are you today ?
Darin those are some beutifull looking tomato pictures you shared. I think i have a possible solution for you if you cannot figure out the true name of this tomato and are left giving it a name. In respect to where the immigrant is from and that he is indeed a new warm and happy face on our shores here in the USA, maybe you might consider naming this wonderfull tomato
"Czech immigrant".

Just a thought. Happy and fruitfull gardening,

-Jonathan.[/QUOTE]

Jonathan, it likes me too.
Vladimír

MrBig46 June 15, 2014 03:07 AM

Carolyn, thank you for your wonderful post. I have a lot to learn from you about tomatoes, not only about how to grow, but also about family heritage and heirloom tomatoes in general.
I guess I shall change my strict rating names of tomatoes, but I will continue to find of their original names. To me, a lot of fun.
Vladimír
PS.:Carolyn, will be looking forward to me when I will be able to send some Czech chocolate to taste.

MrBig46 June 15, 2014 04:26 AM

Breeding Station Urbicany (Vrbičany) today SEMPRA Prague (SEMPRA Praha)
In the years 1950-1953 are developed breeding of tomatoes Jaroslav Homola (author Stupices) after arrival from Stupice. He bred first Czech determinate tomato-Vrbicanske nizke (1952) from a cross Stupicke polni rane x Bellevue bush. Tatiana´s TOMATObase: Indeterminante from Czechoslovakia, some sources describe it as determinate.
My reasoning: If Milan Sodomka sent two bush tomatoes,the second could be Vrbicanske nizke.
The first is almost certainly Olomoucke nizke (Olomovic). In Tatiana TOMATObase is written:
Olomovic- Bred by Milan Sodomka in Czechoslovakia, who sent it to the United States in 1976.
Vladimír

carolyn137 June 15, 2014 07:44 AM

[QUOTE=MrBig46;417631]Breeding Station Urbicany (Vrbičany) today SEMPRA Prague (SEMPRA Praha)
In the years 1950-1953 are developed breeding of tomatoes Jaroslav Homola (author Stupices) after arrival from Stupice. He bred first Czech determinate tomato-Vrbicanske nizke (1952) from a cross Stupicke polni rane x Bellevue bush. Tatiana´s TOMATObase: Indeterminante from Czechoslovakia, some sources describe it as determinate.
My reasoning: If Milan Sodomka sent two bush tomatoes,the second could be Vrbicanske nizke.
The first is almost certainly Olomoucke nizke (Olomovic). In Tatiana TOMATObase is written:
Olomovic- Bred by Milan Sodomka in Czechoslovakia, who sent it to the United States in 1976.
Vladimír[/QUOTE]

Milan Sodomka did not breed tomatoes as you know, he was only the messenger who spread around seeds of some of those ones to both Europe and the US.

I don't know how there was so much confusion about Sodomka's role in all of this got spread around/ It was Kees Sahin, now deceased, former owner of Sahin Seeds in the Netherlands, who was part Czech, who explained Sodomka's role to me and I included that information on page 222, the page about Stupice, in my heirloom tomato book.

Carolyn

MrBig46 June 15, 2014 01:12 PM

Carolyn,
you are right. Milan Sodomka was not the breeder of tomatoes. Important for me is the second part of the message, that he sent Czech bush tomatoe Olomovic to the USA.
Vladimír

MrBig46 June 18, 2014 01:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Something new from ČR:
SEMO company introduced four new OP cherry tomatoes in a magazine „Zahrádkář“ last year (picture) - Mini, Bibi, Datlo, Valdo.
The seeds of these varieties in the trade package should be available already for this season, but for low germination percentage was not given to sales. The company offered only SEMO seedlings in their company store in Smrzice.
I grow these varieties in my garden and I try to imagine here on the site.
Advertisement (SEMO):
Mini-a tiny red cherry fruit is highly resistant to cracking (picture from my garden)
Bibi-a „hearts“ cherry fruit with the tip. Green fruits are darker cheek, ripe in uniform red color. The variety is extremely early with long grapes of fruits.
Valdo-a cylindrical fruits, red, with a balance of sugars and acids, very tasty.
Datlo- fruits datel shaped ripened into a deep orange color. They are attractive in looks and very tasty
The taste was the main thing had the breeder Ing. Zavadil in mind when choosing these new varieties.
Vladimír

MrBig46 July 1, 2014 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mini begins to blush
Vladimír

MrBig46 July 10, 2014 03:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
In the garden I compared tomatoes Stupice- Moravsky div-Stupicke polni rane. Among these varieties, I found only minimal differences. One curiosity: I harvested the first fruits from tomato Moravsky div (Moravoseed) followed Stupice and no later than from Stupicke polni rane(SEVA-SEED). Stupicke sklenikove is other variety of tomato (another type of inflorescence, significantly larger fruits, later maturing, etc.).
This year, I am still waiting to compare ripe tomatoes, next year I want to compare Stupicke polni rane from three companies which having the right to multiplication (Moravoseed, SEVA-SEED and SEMO).
Vladimír

MrBig46 July 10, 2014 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Family determinate variety Roubickovo pupikate.
Vladimír

MrBig46 July 18, 2014 01:21 PM

6 Attachment(s)
TOMATO MINI.
65 days, indetrminante, regular leaf, inflorescence simple sometimes double, 1“ oval red fruit with a faint tipped, 10-12 g, 10-14 fruits on the branch, with very good tomato flavor.

Vladimír