Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Seed & Plant Sources (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Wild Boar Farms web page open for orders (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=12640)

Raymondo February 25, 2008 07:24 AM

Wild Boar Farms tomatoes

Does anyone know of a commercial source for the range of tomatoes offered by Wild Boar Farms? The online shop attached to the Wild Boars Farm website does not ship overseas so I'm looking for alternatives.
Many thanks.

carolyn137 February 25, 2008 09:50 AM

[quote=Raymondo;90828]Does anyone know of a commercial source for the range of tomatoes offered by Wild Boar Farms? The online shop attached to the Wild Boars Farm website does not ship overseas so I'm looking for alternatives.
Many thanks.[/quote]

Ray, someone might know another source but I had to PM Brad about something else and also asked him the same question citing the fact that you're in Australia.

elkwc36 February 25, 2008 11:23 AM

Raymondo sent you a pm.

carolyn137 February 25, 2008 01:57 PM

[quote=elkwc36;90858]Raymondo sent you a pm.[/quote]

If he did I haven't received it yet.:no:

carolyn137 February 25, 2008 02:05 PM

I just got a PM from Brad and am posting it here b'c it should help those whoa re not in the US. When Brad refers to "him" he's referring to Ray who I told him about but not by name.

As far as seeds to Australia, localharvest is only for US purchase but I have told people in Canada and had an e-mail from Australia today that might have been him and I have told people that until I get my seeds available from my website that they can use localharvest to find out what they want and how much it is and order thru email and I will send the seeds, I did it a coulple times last year and everyone sent the money the the honer code has not been brocken yet.

Sounds good to me and thanks Brad.

Raymondo February 25, 2008 04:03 PM

Problem Solved: Wild Boar Farms tomatoes

Thank you one and all for your responses. It was indeed me that Brad refers to in the post from Carolyn above.
The problem has been solved. A T'villian and Tomatopaloozan has offered an address in NC. This works out very well as I'll be at the 2008 Tomatopalooza Extravaganza!
Thanks once again.

Lee February 25, 2008 08:49 PM

Ray,

I plan to grow a few of Brad's varieties again this year for Tomatopalooza[tm] so you should be able to try them first hand!

The list includes Black Heart, Fuzzy Cherokee, and Large Barred Boar.

Lee

Raymondo February 25, 2008 11:48 PM

Excellent Lee. I'm looking forward to trying those and many more!

carolyn137 February 25, 2008 11:53 PM

[quote=Lee;90949]Ray,

I plan to grow a few of Brad's varieties again this year for Tomatopalooza[tm] so you should be able to try them first hand!

The list includes Black Heart, Fuzzy Cherokee, and Large Barred Boar.

Lee[/quote]

Lee, I'm pretty sure that Fuzzy Cherokee is Darrel's work, not Brad's. And Darrel says it' not yet stable. I asked b'c he sent plants to some folks last year who ordered from him and asked for fedback on what they got, so at that time I asked him about it.

Lee February 26, 2008 09:01 AM

Hmmm... I don't know if FC is Darrel's or not.
Brad sent me the seeds a couple of years ago along with
some of his other selections.
The label said "Not Named Yet Fuzzy Cherokee"

Here's a picture of it from TPIV...

[IMG]http://www.tomatopalooza.org/tomatopalooza4/originalimages/IMG_0125.JPG[/IMG]

Same coloration as Cherokee Purple, but with an almost tangerine like skin texture.
A "flat" vs "glossy/semi-gloss" for you paint experts...

Lee

carolyn137 February 26, 2008 12:38 PM

Lee, let me check out Darrel's page b'c it's either CP Fuzzy or CChocolate Fuzzy that he was working with and I was under the impression that whatever it was had occured in his tomato patch which is why he was asking for feedback on it, so later. Or I may PM Darrel as well.

carolyn137 February 26, 2008 10:07 PM

Lee, I talked with Craig today and also got back a response from the PM I sent to Darrel.

Craig says that Brad sent him a Fuzzy Cherokee Purple and he brought the fruits to Tomatopalooza and that's where you got your seeds from, as he recalls.

Darrel says that he independently found a Fuzzy Cherokee Chocolate.

Hope that helps clarify the situation for both you and me and anyone else.

Raymondo February 26, 2008 10:41 PM

Why is it that I can never see Lee's pics?

Lee February 26, 2008 10:50 PM

My FC, and the ones in the TP picture are from the seeds BG sent me. I think he
sent the seeds to both Craig and I.
77 day tomato with the larget being 1/2 pound. I picked the two in the picture
around 7/23 just in time for Tomatopalooza[tm]!

Ray,

I'm not sure what you can't see the pix... have you tried right clicking to just
show the picture?
Also, can you go to tomatopalooza.org as see the pix from there? That's where
I'm linking too, so I don't have to use up the upload space here....

Lee

feralcatfriend February 28, 2008 11:11 AM

How to order directly from Wild Boar Farms

I spoke to Brad last week about how he can sell his seeds directly, in addition to his page on LocalHarvest. He is going to install a PayPal button on his Web site, [URL="http://www.wildboarfarms.com"]www.wildboarfarms.com[/URL], very soon. In the meantime, as noted above from his PM to Carolyn, there's e-mailing him directly and paying him by the honor system.

Also, if you order Berkeley Tie-Dye from him through LocalHarvest, and your seeds don't arrive in a week, just drop him an e-mail to see what's up. He told me that when he e-mails LocalHarvest about issues, he sometimes has to wait a couple of days before receiving a reply.

I'm really looking forward to growing Berkeley Tie-Dye.

Cynthia

Wi-sunflower December 1, 2008 01:51 PM

Does anyone have a more up to date source for seeds from Brad/Wild Boar ??

The wildboarfarms link brings up pages that are at least 2 years old with no pages for seeds available.

The localharvest link doesn't have any of the Boar seeds listed any more. The merchant link gives an opps mesage about the seller no longer there or something like that.

In reading about some of the Boar tomatoes several of them were intregueing and looked like something I would like to try if I could find them.

Thanks for the help

travis December 1, 2008 04:34 PM

Try [EMAIL="wildboarfarms@hotmail.com"]wildboarfarms@hotmail.com[/EMAIL] and address the email to Brad Gates. Tell him what you're interested in and offer to mail him payment for what it is you want. Don't neglect to try Pink Tie Die and Pork Chop, two of the best in my opinion.

seymour_man December 1, 2008 07:36 PM

I have to agree about Pink Berkeley Tie Dye and Pork Chop.

I grew several of Brad's tomatoes for the first time last year and those 2 were real winners for me also.

Wi-sunflower December 1, 2008 07:44 PM

Sounds great.

In some other threads I saw mention of Black & Red Boar, Striped Red Boar, and Evan Purple Pear. Those sounded good to me too. Anyone concure ?

salix December 2, 2008 12:31 AM

Plan to try Evan's Purple Pear and Brown and Black Boar next year - hear good reports. Must say that Brad's Black Heart did very well for me this year, tasty and productive, definitely a grow-again!

amideutch December 2, 2008 01:43 AM

Grew "Brad's Black Heart" and "Scabitha" this year and looking forward to "Pork Chop" and others next year. Ami

Lomatia December 2, 2008 02:36 AM

I've got a range of the Boars in down under and looking forward to the results. Good to hear such positive comments. Unfortunately I will have to collect seeds if I am to grow them again due to Oz import restrictions (or get some Christmas cards!!!!) :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

travis December 2, 2008 08:44 AM

Evan's Purple Pear was under productive, pretty but bland.

Black and Brown Boar was a very healthy plant, relatively late, concentrated and very productive, a bit on the bland side, but not bad except very seedy.

Wi-sunflower December 2, 2008 09:19 AM

See we all have our own different taste buds. Someone else had Evan's Purple Pear in a "must grow" list in another thread.

Thanks for the info gang.

ContainerTed December 2, 2008 10:54 AM

Black and Red Boar was given out as a gift labeled "Trial Seeds" from Baker Creek this past summer. I believe the Niagara Tfest had it in their tasting samples. Maybe one of those folks can tell us about the tastiness.

feraltomatoes December 11, 2008 11:24 AM

Hopefully I will get my act together and have things going in a week or so.
Long on work, short on time. What els is new?

Thanks to all.

Wi-sunflower December 11, 2008 12:13 PM

That's wonderful to hear. Please keep us posted with a link as to which site you got set up when it's ready.

I'm new here but I've heard good stuff about quite a few of your varieties and would like to be able to grow several this coming year.

I know how the web site stuff can get put on the "back burner" when the garden needs attention. My own web site just got up dated last week since I had a flu-bug and the weather was too awful to be outside anyway.

Thanks for letting us know.

feldon30 December 11, 2008 05:13 PM

Just want to add that Black and Brown Boar has been really fantastic for me this fall. Even though I planted a few weeks late and we started getting temps in the 40's, which usually suck the flavor right out of the tomatoes for me, Black and Brown Boar has really held up in the flavor department, and I got a decent harvest.

Definitely returning next spring!

Zana December 11, 2008 08:20 PM

[QUOTE=ContainerTed;113054]Black and Red Boar was given out as a gift labeled "Trial Seeds" from Baker Creek this past summer. I believe the Niagara Tfest had it in their tasting samples. Maybe one of those folks can tell us about the tastiness.[/QUOTE]

As of the attendees, and the one that ended up saving seed from almost all the varieties we had there, I can attest to tasting Black and Red Boar. In fact, I wrote it as one of my fav's on my notes, and also made a note to snare some seeds (that was before I agreed/offered to save Remy the work of processing all the leftovers for seeds.). Can't remember how it placed in the voting, but perhaps Remy can say, since she was the one that tabulated the votes/ballots, I believe.

DuckCreekFarms December 28, 2008 07:43 PM

:wait: :wait: :wait: :wait: :wait: :wait: