Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Herbs (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Basil seems to be a slow grower (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35573)

gregory March 18, 2015 09:17 PM

Basil seems to be a slow grower

Compared to the nightshade family. They germinated within 3-4 days. It's been
A good week and they are starting to get the first hint of new leaves forming but not to much height. They look healthy. I have them inside the garage instead of the house since it's warmer in the garage.

RayR March 18, 2015 09:26 PM

Yep, that's typical for basil starting out from seed. Outside in the heat and sunshine and they'll grow real fast.

pmcgrady March 18, 2015 09:53 PM

Basil grows quick, compared to Rosemary...

shelleybean March 19, 2015 05:11 AM

Basil always germinates and grows quickly for me. One of the easiest herbs to grow.

EBCIII March 25, 2015 09:25 AM

My Basil has come up very quick. My question is this? Now that it is up and looking good what can I do with it? Do I put it in Pots? I may not be able to put in the soil in my garden depending on what the Surgeon says about my back? Thanks in adavance, Beale

shelleybean March 25, 2015 09:38 AM

What kind of basil is it, Beale? Some are very compact and other varieties can grow a couple of feet tall and as wide. I think they can all be grown in containers but some varieties will need bigger pots than others.

EBCIII March 26, 2015 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelleybean (Post 459711)
What kind of basil is it, Beale? Some are very compact and other varieties can grow a couple of feet tall and as wide. I think they can all be grown in containers but some varieties will need bigger pots than others.

It is the Basil you sent me, Standard Basil. Thanks in advance, Beale.

shelleybean March 26, 2015 10:00 AM

If it's sweet basil or Genovese basil, it will get pretty large. I'd say at least a 12 inch pot. Bigger if you have it.

EBCIII March 26, 2015 10:07 AM

Thanks shellybean! At what point do I do this? Beale?

shelleybean March 26, 2015 10:39 AM

Do you have single plants in small pots or a bunch of seedlings in one container? If all together, get them separated and into their own pots. After all danger of frost, when the plants are 2-3 inches tall, you can move them to their permanent pots.

EBCIII March 26, 2015 11:00 AM

Thank you again! Beale.

hiker_ April 21, 2015 09:32 PM

I'm happy to see this thread because I have the same question as Beale. The basil seedlings I started on the 12th are just starting to show their tiny little true leaves. I have 2-3 per 2" pot. Should I immediately separate them and pot them up? Into what size temporary pots? I have Blue Spice (from Baker Creek), "Italian" and "Italian large leaf" (old seeds someone gave me).

Beale, what did you do and what happened?

UFXEFU April 21, 2015 10:20 PM

Last year I planted Sweet Basil between my tomatoes, and it grew 5 feet tall in full sun. Bees love it and they say deer dislike it.

hiker_ May 6, 2015 05:55 PM

I separated my basil seedlings, potted them up and stuck them in my cold frame, and they didn't turn a hair. When I plant out my indeterminates, I'll plant some basil among them.

Tracydr May 6, 2015 07:06 PM

I wait until it's hot and sow outdoors. They like it really hot and really sunny. They also like plenty of nitrogen so I feed it well.