Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Must be Living Under a Rock - Fungacide Free (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47589)

mobiledynamics May 29, 2018 03:35 PM

Must be Living Under a Rock - Fungacide Free

um, err.....I've been growing tomatoes for the last 15-20 years I suppose. Crazy as this sounds, I've never[U] ever[/U] sprayed anything on mine until this growing season. Yes, there has been years where I've lost one or two. Some may have fade earlier as we get to the end of summer. I sorta said it was mother natures course....and it it what it is. I can only count a handful of times where I have lost a plant early in the summer season

I have lost one just due it toppling over and the main stem broke in half....

After spending a bit too much time on t-ville, I've got 2 new sprayers with Daconil in one and Copper in the other !
I've done the Daconil spraying every 10 days-2 weeks. Laying off the copper until I see the something warranting it.

What camp are you in.
Proactive/Reactive - and or like me prior , which is literally nada, zip, let mother nature decide who stays

KarenO May 29, 2018 03:53 PM

same rock as me. I have never sprayed a tomato plant with anything.
KarenO

mobiledynamics May 29, 2018 04:05 PM

I still have much to read up on. Aka, is this stuff safe if one touches them and does not wash their hands. My kiddo's touch everything and anything..

nbardo May 29, 2018 04:12 PM

I spray the root zone daily with dihydrogen monoxide, but thats it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ginger2778 May 29, 2018 05:00 PM

Wish I lived where there isn't much fungus, here you don't spray, you don't get a crop. I don't use Daconil, not very effective for me. I'm a liquid copper fungicide mixed at 1/2 of the weakest recommended strength type of gal. If you spray don't spray the blossoms if you can avoid it.

mobiledynamics May 29, 2018 05:05 PM

Does said affect fruit if the blossoms get sprayed ?

I have a extra ~atomizer~ off the wand before the tip, which makes the output even more ~mistier~ than if I did not use a atomizer before the tip end. Leaves and ~all~ sorta get dousing.

Don't tell me you are individually painting each leaf Ging, on your 100+ plantings to avoid getting product on the blossoms (JK) :roll:

carolyn137 May 29, 2018 05:32 PM

[QUOTE=mobiledynamics;702097]um, err.....I've been growing tomatoes for the last 15-20 years I suppose. Crazy as this sounds, I've never[U] ever[/U] sprayed anything on mine until this growing season. Yes, there has been years where I've lost one or two. Some may have fade earlier as we get to the end of summer. I sorta said it was mother natures course....and it it what it is. I can only count a handful of times where I have lost a plant early in the summer season

I have lost one just due it toppling over and the main stem broke in half....

After spending a bit too much time on t-ville, I've got 2 new sprayers with Daconil in one and Copper in the other !
I've done the Daconil spraying every 10 days-2 weeks. Laying off the copper until I see the something warranting it.

What camp are you in.
Proactive/Reactive - and or like me prior , which is literally nada, zip, let mother nature decide who stays[/QUOTE]

I can only speak for myself, but I would like to know where you garden , was it zone b , short term memory here,sorry, and also how close to you are others that are also growing tomatoes.

Thanks in advance,

Carolyn

mobiledynamics May 29, 2018 05:35 PM

7A and 7B. Primarily 7B. A is just the weekend getaway. Both less than 1/2 mile from the water. We get the dewey nights in the summer, etc.
Most neighbors around me garden to some degree. I often give my backup seedlings to my neighbor, who doesn't start her own seeds.

Fungicides was never really my thing. Always took the less is more approach....

Tvill is just a ~enabler~ of all things...

carolyn137 May 29, 2018 05:46 PM

[QUOTE=mobiledynamics;702115]7A and 7B. Primarily 7B. A is just the weekend getaway. Both less than 1/2 mile from the water. We get the dewey nights in the summer, etc.
Most neighbors around me garden to some degree. I often give my backup seedlings to my neighbor, who doesn't start her own seeds.

Fungicides was never really my thing. Always took the less is more approach....

Tvill is just a ~enabler~ of all things...[/QUOTE]

Ja, but what kind of water, ocean water,lake water, river water,etc.;):)

It might or might not make a difference. And yes I know about dew on the plants in early AM,and sometimes fog around as well,before the sun hopefully comes out and takes care of those conditions.

Carolyn

mobiledynamics May 29, 2018 05:47 PM

Ocean water

ginger2778 May 29, 2018 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=mobiledynamics;702112]Does said affect fruit if the blossoms get sprayed ?

I have a extra ~atomizer~ off the wand before the tip, which makes the output even more ~mistier~ than if I did not use a atomizer before the tip end. Leaves and ~all~ sorta get dousing.

Don't tell me you are individually painting each leaf Ging, on your 100+ plantings to avoid getting product on the blossoms (JK) :roll:[/QUOTE]

No, I just dont directly spray the blossoms. They shrivel and drop off from the copper. If a little mists onto them no biggie.

Koala Doug May 29, 2018 06:47 PM

[B][SIZE=3][FONT=Garamond]I've never sprayed anything on my tomatoes either. But last year, I did get powdery mildew in late summer on a couple of plants after an unusually cool, wet week.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=Garamond]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=Garamond]I'm not opposed to spraying, but I don't own a sprayer or the chemicals and wouldn't consider buying anything unless I started having serious issues early in the season (and for multiple years in a row).
[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=Garamond]Honestly, I think I'm just in a lucky geographical area that isn't too hot, too humid, or have too many disease/pest problems (except for hungry deer!).
[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=Garamond]The trade-off is the season isn't long enough to to get good production from very late season tomatoes like those with DTM's approaching 100 days.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]

seaeagle May 29, 2018 07:13 PM

I do not use any fungicides and cannot understand why anyone would use a substance like Chlorothalonil that is a suspected carcinogen if it was unnecessary.

Chlorothalonil is a Group B2 "probable human [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcinogen"]carcinogen[/URL]", based on observations of [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancers"]cancers[/URL] and [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumors"]tumors[/URL] of the kidneys and [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forestomach"]forestomachs[/URL] in laboratory animals fed diets containing chlorothalonil

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorothalonil[/url]

Also it ti terrible for the environment and especially bees and is being banned all over the world for use in home gardens because of safety concerns.

But as always it is the gardener's choice. My garden is my refuge from the chemical world.

Worth1 May 29, 2018 07:20 PM

I spray mine with water if dust gets on them.
No need to push a plant into July where I live.:no:

Worth

bower May 29, 2018 08:07 PM

No chemical sprays here, now or ever.

Just this past week though I sprayed some soap on lower leaves for aphids. First time ever.. I prefer to keep my greenhouse tomatoes dry. I put borax baits out for ants, but this year they are having a party with their little cows anyway it seems.

I have lost plants in the middle of the season, rarely though. But at the end of the season, they all get fungus and die. That's the cycle.... No amount of sprays would stop that ever. :lol: