Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Has anyone ever tried pickled green tomatoes? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=16393)

alamo5000 December 3, 2010 09:54 PM

Has anyone ever tried pickled green tomatoes?

We had a dozen or so tomato plants in the ground that we stripped clean just before the first real frost. We had somewhere around 15 or 20 pounds of green tomatoes...

I heard of people making pickled green tomatoes so I looked online and found a whole bunch of recipies for it... all varying widely. So what I did was just kinda mix and match what I would want in mine....

I used about 1/2 box of pickling spices....some vinegar and water...a few cups of light brown sugar (about 1 pound) and a little bit of mustard powder, salt, and some dry dill weed.

I sliced up the tomatoes, two big white onions and 4 huge mexican bannana peppers...I marinated the tomatoes, onions, and peppers in really salty water... and while that was going on I had my mix all boiling away.

I had to add a little more sugar and vinegar and so on and so forth to fine tune it...once I got the taste I wanted I added the tomato/pepper/onion mix and let it soak for a few minutes.

I bottled it up and put them in a big pickle jar and then ladeled the soup over it and sealed it up.

Initial impressions are that I impressed myself. Not too shabby AT ALL.

Definitely worth a try.

On a side note we fried some of the green ones, and made another recipie with some of them, and this is now the pickled ones...

(PS I have 5 big tomato plants that are putting out nice fat red tomatoes in December thanks to my greenhouse...MMM!!! I have 35 Brandywine Suddith plants already a foot high as well)

seeker December 19, 2010 11:32 AM

Hi alamo,

My mother used to make pickled green tomatoes. She called it "piccallily" (guessing at the spelling). Your recipe sounds very similar to what she made. It was sooooo good. I hope yours turns out great as well.

Paula

Stepheninky December 19, 2010 01:27 PM

I posted this in another thread as well but what we do is make Amish Green Tomato relish.

I guess the same spices would work with pickled tomatoes as well.

ingredients

2 quarts green tomatoes chopped
3 cups sugar
3 green peppers diced
3 red peppers diced
3 cups vinegar
5 large onions finely chopped
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoons celery seed
1 tablespoons allspice
2 tablespoons mustard seed
1 tablespoons turmeric

Mix all vegetables in a large bowl.
Sprinkle with salt and let stand 10 minutes then drain well.
In large pan mix celery seed, mustard seed, turmeric, allspice, sugar and vinegar with vegetables.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat and bring to a second boil then remove from heat.
Pour into jars and store in refrigerator or freeze.

barbara January 5, 2011 02:13 AM

Will this have to be processed and how long do you think it will keep on the shelf..Sounds so yummmmmyy

Stepheninky January 5, 2011 12:23 PM

If by processing you mean putting them thru the canning process then yes. As far as self life anything properly canned will be safe as long as the seal remains intact. There is several cases of canned goods from the civil war era still being safe to eat, the problem is it will not taste that good as the longer the canned food sits the softer the texture becomes. So I would say you should try and eat it within 2-5 years. but as long as the seal is intact and the taste is fine it should be ok.

barbara January 5, 2011 06:25 PM

Thank you and there will be lots of that on my shelf next summer..

Mischka January 19, 2011 09:46 AM

This is my absolute favorite - I could eat this stuff by the jar.

Dawningstar1 January 19, 2011 10:02 AM

I make a lot of pickled varieties and then hubby adds them to his spaggetti sauce or stir fries for winter... homemade is always better!!!:cute: :cute:

montanamato January 19, 2011 12:20 PM

Used to make a curry green pickle recipe with small cherry or salad size green tomatoes...They were a hit with many folks...It called for whole tomatoes...The larger green ones were ground up for green salsa or piccallili...

Jeanne

matilda'skid January 19, 2011 02:39 PM

Do you think I could freeze your tomato relish in jars? I don't trust my canning skills.

Dawningstar1 January 19, 2011 05:05 PM

For myself I have been freezing tomatoes and sauces and jams with little problems... just make sure they are good freezer bags, with all the hype out there about plastic containers giving off toxins I am going for freezing in smaller jars like the cherry jars one gets at dollar store they take up more room but as long as one leaves a space at top for them to expand I have had no problems, one would need larger jars for more quantity...

Stepheninky January 19, 2011 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=matilda'skid;195010]Do you think I could freeze your tomato relish in jars? I don't trust my canning skills.[/QUOTE]

I do not think it would hurt it to freeze it. the freezing point of vinegar is 28 Degrees F or -2 C pretty sure most freezers are well below that.

raindrops27 June 29, 2011 02:06 PM

Ok, what do you use the relish with?? Do you eat it with something? Like on hot dogs, what types of foods do you, eat this along side of.

Stepheninky June 30, 2011 11:17 PM

[QUOTE=raindrops27;221132]Ok, what do you use the relish with?? Do you eat it with something? Like on hot dogs, what types of foods do you, eat this along side of.[/QUOTE]

Use it like any other type of relish to be honest. My family members use it with beans and various meats. I have also heard of people mixing it with cream cheese or salad dressing (miracle whip) and using it as a spread for crackers and sandwiches.

JohnWayne May 15, 2012 04:42 AM

I've put up green tomato pickles for years. On the strong side with apple cider vinegar and lots of strong onions and hot pepper (ram's horn).

No sugar for mine just plenty of salt and nothing better with a bowl of pintos or great northern beans !

I also tried Salsa Verdi with green tomatoes instead of tomatillo. I liked the green tomato salsa better.