Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Thought on the New Earthbox Root and Veg? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41528)

JosephineRose June 3, 2016 01:16 PM

Thought on the New Earthbox Root and Veg?
 
I picked up the new Earthbox to try, and so far my opinion is mixed. I'm using the box for chard now, but I hope to use it for a single tomato plant.

I like the configuration and dimensions, but I'm concerned the internal components are too flimsy to hold the weight of that much soil. There is not enough surface area to distribute that weight. I also think the construction of the box's tray and watering tube seems less sturdy than the original box.

I'm concerned about the volume of the water reservoir. Every time I go to fill, the water just immediately pours out the drainage hole. The issue? The water tube does not set down in the bottom of the box like the original box. It doesn't fit firmly in at assembly, it is meant to float above in a small grove and doesn't snap into place. So you cannot be sure it is in the right position once you've filled with soil, and it moves. I'm constantly worried the water is flowing right out the drainage pipe instead of into the reservoir.

The plants struggled a bit the first few weeks until I began top watering as well. That's a long distance for the seedling roots to travel to reach the reservoir. I wonder if I will have to water more frequently once they finally get there?

Finally, although more upright, the box is a substantial size, and begs for a caster set up almost more than the original box does. I cannot believe there isn't a wheels or trellis option. It really needs one.

schill93 June 3, 2016 06:25 PM

Don't have mine yet. Just ordered 4 today. Hope I don't regret my purchase. I don't think chard has a very deep root system, so it might be a reach for water. I am planning on planting zucchini and Eggplant in them. (one per box) I like the aesthetic look of them, but that won't matter if they don't perform as well.

Was hoping more people on the EB forum would chime in.

Bipetual July 13, 2017 03:36 PM

Earthbound Root & Veg Call for Reviews
 
I also ordered four of these this year and have indeterminate tomatoes growing in them.

I got an email today asking me to review the product, so I wanted to get the word out. Maybe if plenty of us encourage a more thoughtful design we could get them to make a better quality version. :)

Surprisingly, the average review was five stars.:?:

I love the dimensions. It's so nice to be able to space the plants vs. squeezing them together in an Earthbox because it makes it a lot easier to spray for early blight and whiteflies (or whatever your particular challenge is).

But the quality leaves a lot to be desired. Flimsy sides, a flimsy grate that isn't supported in two corners, and the fill tube design leave a lot to be desired. After purchasing, I read on a forum that they are made out of existing planters and converted to self-watering planters as an afterthought. This explains a lot!

Here is the link if you wish to leave a review.

https://earthbox.com/catalogsearch/r...em++terracotta

Sun City Linda July 14, 2017 11:24 AM

The Earthbox Root box is Piece of junk. New owners tried to turn an existing planter they had in inventory into a SWC without understanding how they work. They were released untested and the drainage holes were drilled at wrong height. Their forum had lots of comments all negative before it supposedly crashed a long time ago. They have never fixed the forum. I got a refund on the Root boxes I purchashed. As an aside the screen is also flimsy and fails under the weight of wet potting mix. Total disaster.

Bipetual July 14, 2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun City Linda (Post 654543)
The Earthbox Root box is Piece of junk. New owners tried to turn an existing planter they had in inventory into a SWC without understanding how they work. They were released untested and the drainage holes were drilled at wrong height. Their forum had lots of comments all negative before it supposedly crashed a long time ago. They have never fixed the forum. I got a refund on the Root boxes I purchashed. As an aside the screen is also flimsy and fails under the weight of wet potting mix. Total disaster.

Thanks, Linda. That would be a great thing to put in a review on the Earthbox website, if you wish. I'd like to see them fix it.:)

Edited to add: It may be hoping for too much, given the new owners, but...

Sun City Linda July 15, 2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bipetual (Post 654595)
Thanks, Linda. That would be a great thing to put in a review on the Earthbox website, if you wish. I'd like to see them fix it.:)

Edited to add: It may be hoping for too much, given the new owners, but...


I have long wished for an Earthbox with the deeper dimensions of the root box but sadly, there really is no fix. Again this is an existing and much less sturdy planter that they already had in production. Not even close to original Earthbox quality. :no:

Worth1 July 15, 2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun City Linda (Post 654734)
I have long wished for an Earthbox with the deeper dimensions of the root box but sadly, there really is no fix. Again this is an existing and much less sturdy planter that they already had in production. Not even close to original Earthbox quality. :no:

Where I come from this is called a Pig in a poke.

Worth


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★