Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Florida TAG™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=175)
-   -   →Any interest in a South and Central Florida Gathering?← (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=22819)

ginger2778 May 16, 2012 01:58 PM

→Any interest in a South and Central Florida Gathering?←

Hi to Floridians,
Is there any interest in doing a plant swap and or tomato tasting during or after the fall planting. I wish we had more than just the one in Plant City, pictures on it's website look disappointing IMHO. I can get one organized if there is some good interest.:)

kurt May 16, 2012 04:07 PM

I think it is a good idea.I guess we would have to take a poll and see who is growing and when thier harvest times are.Down here for me I am done at the end of Feb.So let me be the first to chime in.Kurt Homestead Florida

ginger2778 May 16, 2012 06:11 PM

Cool Kurt,
i was hoping you would want to.:D

kurt May 16, 2012 06:26 PM

I guess since you initiated you would be the helm and make up a name for it in the gathering forum.I belong to myfolia and can start some interest since they have a S fla blog as soon as its gets going full strength.

ginger2778 May 17, 2012 09:07 AM

[QUOTE=kurt;275402]I guess since you initiated you would be the helm and make up a name for it in the gathering forum.I belong to myfolia and can start some interest since they have a S fla blog as soon as its gets going full strength.[/QUOTE]
I want to keep it casual, but anyone would be invited, even if not from Florida.
How about meeting twice, once in Nov. or Dec. to trade seedlings, and once in March (or late February) to do a tasting. I can figure out where to meet based on how many to attend.
Kurt how does the name FlaGaTagroup sound. Stands for FloridaGAther and Taste Group.? Or do you have a different suggestion?

kurt May 18, 2012 07:41 PM

Calling all Floridians and beyond.

[FONT=Impact][SIZE=7][COLOR=red]Calling all Floridians and beyond(ex Floridians and family).Please support the newly proposed [COLOR=yellowgreen]FLA GA TAGROUP.[/COLOR][COLOR=red]This stands for Florida Gather and taste Group.We need members to show Tville administrators we are serious.Details to follow once we get established.Spread the word and lets get this going.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

horses4jess May 18, 2012 09:32 PM

Count me in :) Sounds like a great idea!

ginger2778 May 19, 2012 11:02 AM

[COLOR=Red][SIZE=7]Non Floridians also welcome. Bimini, Bahamas, Georgia, etc.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

donlaclair May 19, 2012 09:30 PM

I'm interested in a Florida group. Don

ginger2778 May 19, 2012 09:44 PM

Horses and Don, glad to hear of your interest. Please spread the word! ANd welcome. I will use this thread to keep everyone updated:)

feldon30 May 20, 2012 11:10 AM

FLA GA TAGROUP. I think the name could use a bit of polish. ;) We spent days trying out different names.

Otherwise, I think all you have to do is announce a date and a location and get some interest and Mischka will be happy to add a subforum for it.

ginger2778 May 20, 2012 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=feldon30;276350]FLA GA TAGROUP. I think the name could use a bit of polish. ;) We spent days trying out different names.

Otherwise, I think all you have to do is announce a date and a location and get some interest and Mischka will be happy to add a subforum for it.[/QUOTE]

Well Ok Feldon. We did bounce around some names first, but since you mention it, what would your suggestion for a Florida group be? If it is better we'll certainly keep it instead.:)
Mischka has started to help by putting a sticky on this thread to keep it front and center, so it can gather more people interested. Many thanks to Mischka for this kindness.:yes:

feldon30 May 20, 2012 01:54 PM

Some ideas:
[list][*]Gator-Mater[*]Florida State Tomato Tasting[*]Florida Area Tomato Enthusiasts ([B]FATE[/B])[*]Tomato Club of Florida[*]Gulf Area Tomato Enthusiasts ([B]GATE[/B])[/list]

meadowyck May 26, 2012 09:29 PM

I'm new to tomatoville and new to trying to figure out how to grow tomatoes down here.... (still scratching head). So even though I wouldn't have any to bring, I sure could muster up an [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]appetite[/FONT][/COLOR] for tasting.

Jan

ps so when is the time to really grow tomatoes in Florida????? Sure isn't now.

ginger2778 May 26, 2012 09:52 PM

The plant swap date is Nov. 3rd from 2 to 6 pm at my house in Plantation. Please PM me for my address as I don't want to put it on the public forum :)
The official name is the Florida TAG group, Stands for Florida Tasting And Growing group, and I think it will be a fun time :yes:

kurt May 26, 2012 10:02 PM

Here in Homestead Fl.I start seeds late Aug.Then 1 1/2 month later another stagger start and finish up sometimes in late April(two crops).I read the other day some growers in the Tampa and Homosassa area just picking thier fruit now.I could imagine N Florida going into late May June.I do have Everglade Cherrys that grow wild around here but too small .They do grow all year.Last year we had some cold stretches(late 2010-2011)Even here we had some 30-35 nights.So if you want to designate the Fl growing season it would be end of one year and beginning of another.Where up north it would be 2010, 2011,2012,season.Confusing for some and drives me crazy when all the seed catalogs come out for us out of season.Now I get jealous reading about all the maters up north from the posts but then we get our revenge when the notherners are all freezing and our crops are coming in.Could probly grow produce now but the temps are running past 85 and humidity for me is around 70-80 on average plus two days ago it rained 8 inches in one day.so by design I will not go past March -April.So now we get to enjoy mangos,lychees,papayas bananas,strawberrys,avacados and some tropicals I cannot even spell or pronounce.

meadowyck May 27, 2012 09:00 PM

thanks so much Kurt.

I would love to come, but plantation is way too far for this old girl to travel. So I'll just be an online visitor to see all the wonderful maters.

horses4jess May 27, 2012 11:01 PM

Kurt,

Labor-intensive and crazy as it is, I'm still trying to coax a few more tomatoes out before I quit for the summer. I still have Berkley Tie-Dye Pink, Sweet 100, KBX and Pineapple plants going strong. I did a pretty late planting in April, but it looks like I'll have a kazillion (yes, that is an actual greenie count) :) cherry tomatoes and a few beefsteaks before the humidity and heat shut the plants down. The blossom drop is increasing by the day, but so far only a little bacterial speck.

Ginger,

Aiming for a plant swap in November, is there any way to find out what varieties might be in demand? I need something to focus my gardening obsession on once the summer garden downtime hits, and planning out my seeding schedule usually satisfies my inner crazy for a few weeks.

meadowyck May 27, 2012 11:11 PM

so what suggestions would yall have for sources to purchase seeds from. I would like to try about 15-20 varieties that would grow well here and I have no seed stock at all, so starting from scratch and kinda glad I have a little time to study and plan.

Jan

ginger2778 May 28, 2012 11:18 AM

[QUOTE=horses4jess;278273]Kurt,

Labor-intensive and crazy as it is, I'm still trying to coax a few more tomatoes out before I quit for the summer. I still have Berkley Tie-Dye Pink, Sweet 100, KBX and Pineapple plants going strong. I did a pretty late planting in April, but it looks like I'll have a kazillion (yes, that is an actual greenie count) :) cherry tomatoes and a few beefsteaks before the humidity and heat shut the plants down. The blossom drop is increasing by the day, but so far only a little bacterial speck.

Ginger,

Aiming for a plant swap in November, is there any way to find out what varieties might be in demand? I need something to focus my gardening obsession on once the summer garden downtime hits, and planning out my seeding schedule usually satisfies my inner crazy for a few weeks.[/QUOTE]

No not really, nobody is really concentrating on any given varieties , just grow it if you want to, and bring it along.
Most of these plant swaps have the participants post what they have in the thread here, and people tell them what they like from that person's list. We then bring the requested plants, and any others we think may be interesting or tasty.
I will be supplying some snacks and beverages too, and others can bring stuff to eat even if no plants, and still take some home.
I am looking forward to swapping gardening tips as much as plants. Also looking forward to meeting people in my region that share my obsess OOPS I mean hobby;)

ginger2778 May 28, 2012 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=meadowyck;278276]so what suggestions would yall have for sources to purchase seeds from. I would like to try about 15-20 varieties that would grow well here and I have no seed stock at all, so starting from scratch and kinda glad I have a little time to study and plan.

Jan[/QUOTE]
Jan, Sorry to hear that you won't be joining us for the plant swap, because I know it would be fun. There's a wonderful website , Tatiana's Tomatobase that lists thousands of tomatoes, with descriptions, and where to buy them, several different sources for a given tomato type usually, and it's set up to link to the seller.
There is also a forum here on the main page that lists well thought of and ethical seed sellers, many of them. I have had personal experience with Sandhill Preservetion, Tomatogrowers Supply, and Sample Seed Shop, all are simply great, but there are very many others. That forum also suggests some to stay away from, such as Burpee, and the reasons why.
Lastly, there is a forum for wanted seeds where you can request if anyone has your wanted variety, and just send them a self addressed stamped envelope (SASE) and they will help you out.
Are you sure you cant make the 2 hour drive to plantation? Such a shame to miss it:(

kurt May 28, 2012 11:34 AM

There is a good source for seeds here on Tville in the seeds wanted and for trade section.All you have to do is maybe pm the person.I know the cherrys and blacks do good for me here down south.My selections are determined by my wife.Remember "Man has last word,Yes Dear"

meadowyck May 29, 2012 12:35 AM

I though plantation was down by fort lauderdale? If it is north then it might be possible.

Thanks for all the tips of places to look for seeds.

Kurt, you are too funny, but I'm sure your DW knows a gem of a hubby she has in you.

Jan

ginger2778 May 29, 2012 08:37 AM

Plantation is about 12 miles west of Ft. Laud.

ginger2778 May 29, 2012 12:15 PM

[FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]
OK everyone, we are an official gathering. Nov. 3 from 2-6 PM for the plant swap, and a later date in March for a tasting get together.
PM me for my address please.:)

kurt May 31, 2012 12:40 PM

The admins have recognized the Fla Tag group,ginger2778 is the go to person and has a Nov 3 2012.FYI

ginger2778 June 9, 2012 04:58 PM

Help with our name

[QUOTE=feldon30;276392]Some ideas:
[list][*]Gator-Mater[*]Florida State Tomato Tasting[*]Florida Area Tomato Enthusiasts ([B]FATE[/B])[*]Tomato Club of Florida[*]Gulf Area Tomato Enthusiasts ([B]GATE[/B])[/list][/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions Morgan. I meant to get back to you sooner but just now remembered. It took alot of thought and effort on your part, and I have to admit these were much better than our original name, and inspired us to do better, which I hope you will agree that we have.:yes:
Again, many thanks.
-Marsha

ginger2778 June 9, 2012 05:02 PM

Logo and plant list

We are working on a logo for our group, look for it soon as my new avatar.(Not yet though!)
I am also getting my spreadsheet finished of all the seed varieties I have, and then people can make requests as to which plants they might like to have from my list.

I would like to encourage the others to do the same. This is getting good:D
-Marsha

feldon30 June 9, 2012 06:45 PM

Glad I could contribute in some small way. ;) I've been working on a packing list for all the things we tend to need/use during a tomato tasting. When I get it sorted, I can send a copy to you.

ginger2778 June 9, 2012 08:58 PM

[QUOTE=feldon30;281611]Glad I could contribute in some small way. ;) I've been working on a packing list for all the things we tend to need/use during a tomato tasting. When I get it sorted, I can send a copy to you.[/QUOTE]

I would so very much appreciate that. Thank you, and for your thoughtful help also.
-Marsha