Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Condiments/Sauces (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=81)

rhoder551 August 9, 2016 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=Nematode;582603]DO NOT DISCARD THE EXCESS LIQUID.
There got that out of the way, this salsa will get very wet, the juice is as fine a beverage as you will ever taste. Put it in a shot glass and sip, or make some kind of martini.

The amounts on everything are whatever you want, its different every time.

Tomato, chopped. I usually try and have a couple types and colors, but the backbone is almost always sungold.
Red onion finely chopped
Garlic finely chopped/minced
Jalapeno or other hot pepper finely chopped adjust to your preferred heat level
Juice of lime, go a little heavy on the lime juice.
Splash very good olive oil. This adds a richness that is missing without it.
Salt
Cilantro optional.

Let it sit a while and the heat from the peppers will distribute, making a most pleasurable dish.

We have this with chips for summer supper.

I may have to liquify some and make a whole batch as juice......[/QUOTE]

This is a very good recipe... This weekend, I cut up a couple of tomatoes for seed saving, they were both almost 2 lbs so I had a lot of chopped tomatoes. I made your recipe, with a pinch of the cumin, and dang was that salsa good! My tweak was to add cubed avocado....

Ganado September 26, 2016 04:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Any condiment can be made from a few basic ingredients

I have attached pdf's of recipes and the list [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/UvDU4Pw.jpg[/IMG]

oakley August 11, 2017 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made Ketchup last night...what a bloodbath:))

Made more than I thought the ingredients would make. Used the smaller blender jar.
Slow roasted a tray of tomatoes with lots of garlic and onion. Lots of Mexican dried
chilis in hot water to soften while toms were oven drying.

two different heat levels. One for the kids just using ancho chilis. Maple syrup.
Adult heat level I used guajillo, pula, costeno, ancho, and my home grown Aji.

One sauce I left chunky and added tarragon and lemon juice and zest.

Made a olive caper tapenade with some of the toms. And I'll make a fresh salsa tonight.

Most of the tomatoes were early picking and some not that great. Good way to use them
up.

Good as is but adding any combination to your liking...AC vinegar, cumin, turmeric,
mustard powder, worcestershire, tamari, maple syrup or honey....

Made the mustard 'bears' last week.

Having a casual brunch this Sunday.
Bruschetta
Zucchini Flower, green tomato Frittata
Great American Burger, (fresh ground)
Tomato salad, green salad
Corn on the cob
fresh cherry Clafouti (Julia Child recipe) I add dark chocolate chunks

coronabarb August 11, 2017 12:52 PM

Wow, your kitchen looks fun! ;-) So, you put tarragon in the ketchup? I have never used that spice and had someone ask just recently what to use it in. What does it add to the sauce?

oakley August 11, 2017 01:03 PM

Lets see, how to explain FrenchTarragon. No, it is in a chunkier sauce I made with some
of the slow roasted tomatoes. But it would be great in a Ketchup!

It is a bit like Thai Basil. Maybe. It grow well in color climates and will return most years.

I like it in a tomato salad side dish with steak. Or on burgers.

I'l probably add it with mixed herbs in the frittata. Great with eggs.

oakley August 11, 2017 01:18 PM

Best discovery is using bland early harvest tomatoes...I have a small heart pumping
out fruit but bla...slow roasting on a heat tray, 225, for a couple hours until concentrated
really perks up flavor.

Think I may add grilled cheese; pesto, mozzarella, roasted toms. On homemade Boule.
A six yr old said a few yrs ago, "this is the best grilled cheese ever!"
Might be a good way to avoid hot dogs. I do love a good 'dog', but the parents try to
avoid the hot-dog-a-day that is at every summer gathering.

Redbaron August 15, 2017 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=coronabarb;659689]Wow, your kitchen looks fun! ;-) So, you put tarragon in the ketchup? I have never used that spice and had someone ask just recently what to use it in. What does it add to the sauce?[/QUOTE]I use Tarregon and lots of it too.:yes: As you can see by looking back at my post [URL="http://tomatoville.com/showpost.php?p=308273&postcount=65"]#65[/URL]:

That was for yellow banana pepper catsup, but I make red catsup/chili sauce versions too. It says "to taste" but in my case that generally means a whole lot.:))

oldman May 14, 2018 02:54 AM

Tarragon is like cilantro in that you love it or you hate it, no middle ground. I love it in potato soup and I have a potato salad recipe with fresh herbs where it steal the show. No tomatoes in it though.

I've never tried it in catsup before since I like tangy, spicy, or earthy/smokey in catsup and tarragon is herby and almost floral. Maybe I'll try it this year with green or white tomatoes and give it an herbal name. (just because it's tarragon catsup doesn't mean I have to call it that ;-). Zebra sauce? Cherokee lime spread? We'll see.

coronabarb May 14, 2018 02:57 PM

That sounds interesting, oldman. Let us know how it turns out. Sounds like something that could be good on chicken.

oldman May 14, 2018 03:05 PM

I thought about it some more. I'm thinking since I like tarragon with potato I want a catsup I can mix with mayo to get a great fry sauce, but that has enough tanginess to stand on its own. I'm thinking green giant and green Zebra and maybe a third variety for more sweetness.

I'll see what works in August when I have tomatoes :-)

Worth1 May 14, 2018 09:41 PM

I like clove and hot pepper in ketchup.
Tarragon in chicken and dumplings.

Sounds interesting.

Worth

oldman May 14, 2018 10:11 PM

I agree catsup needs clove, that and tomato are what makes it catsup (although I have used mushrooms instead of tomatoes before).

Getting tarragon to work with tomatoes is probably going to require the right kind of tomato and I'm not sure the result will be something that can be called catchup. But I always have extras of greens because people seem reluctant to try greens even if they get used to the idea that it doesn't have to be red to be ripe or taste good. Any way you can get people to try a new tomato is progress though. :-)

Shrinkrap August 26, 2020 01:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Tomato Confit with Maglia Rosa tomatoes..