Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Does anyone know what this is? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=51454)

pinklady5 June 14, 2022 05:18 PM

Does anyone know what this is?

This is a new one for me. The edges of the leaves are turning black/brown. Is this a fungus or something else. It’s on my German Johnson plant. I wish I could post a
Photo but I’m not currently utilizing a hosting company for photos. It looks like someone took a black marker and drew along every edge of each individual leaf. It’s in the interior and bottom of the plant.

wxcrawler June 14, 2022 05:34 PM

It's really hard to say without a picture, but I know my seedlings can look like that when I over-fertilize them.

Lee

PaulF June 14, 2022 06:48 PM

A photo is necessary to say for sure but it could be a bacterial canker which displays black or brown leaf edges and seems to be seed borne.

pinklady5 June 14, 2022 09:38 PM

[I]thank you. I’ll try and get an image up for everyone to see. [/I]

Lee June 15, 2022 06:52 AM

If you select the Go Advanced option, you have the ability to upload files/images without a hosting site.

Lee

pinklady5 June 15, 2022 08:19 AM

Thank you Lee. It’s been a while…

pinklady5 June 15, 2022 08:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Pics were taken this morning. I see the same starting on another plant on the side closest to this one.

VirginiaClay June 15, 2022 11:59 AM

Definitely read up on bacterial canker and see if that fits the symptoms. If bacterial canker seems like a possibility, be very careful about not touching your other plants or using the same tools after handling the affected plant, as it's easily transmissible through contact. The brown leaf margins with a yellow halo are a characteristic symptom of bacterial canker, but it certainly could be something else, so don't be too alarmed.

It could be over-fertilization, stress from temporarily drying out, or just general stress from high temperatures or who-knows-what.

Scorching of the older leaves can be due to potassium deficiency.

The other possibility is early blight. This isn't what it normally looks like, but sometimes it presents this way on some of my plants. If the plant is generally healthy except this symptom slowly works its way up the plant as the plant grows, it could be that (especially if you see normal early blight symptoms on any of your other plants).

So, my advice: if the symptoms match bacterial canker and the plant seems sick, pull it. Otherwise, wait it out, babysit the soil moisture, and see what happens.

seaeagle June 15, 2022 12:23 PM

In my limited experience with tomato disease in my garden when I see brown and yellow it doesn't concern me at all. When I see black on the leaves especially in new growth. it is usually not a good sign. The good news is like someone else said if it is just one plant it is probably seed related. Bleaching seeds from outside sources is always a good idea.

slugworth June 15, 2022 03:53 PM

store bought plants? or did you start them from seed?

pinklady5 June 15, 2022 07:22 PM

It’s a mix of both. That particular plant is from a local farm/nursery. Of course it has to be the last one I grabbed right before paying.

slugworth June 15, 2022 09:25 PM

I had the same issue with store bought plants 2 years ago very early in the season.
I bought them beginning of april here which is way too early for in-ground but I kept
them outdoors under glass until planting time but they went black on me.
I guess in my case it was a disease in the soil triggered by cold weather.
I would try exhuming the body and give the roots a shower then replant in a different
spot if possible.Or go big container during recovery phase.

MrsJustice June 16, 2022 08:23 AM

[QUOTE=seaeagle;768303]In my limited experience with tomato disease in my garden when I see brown and yellow it doesn't concern me at all. When I see black on the leaves especially in new growth. it is usually not a good sign. The good news is like someone else said if it is just one plant it is probably seed related. Bleaching seeds from outside sources is always a good idea.[/QUOTE]

I grow only Organically. There is many different Organic Fertilizers that I have tried, and ar very helpful. Sometimes when my plants outgrow their pots, I have a short lives problems that is solved when planted in larger pots or Transplanting to the Farm cutting off lower limbs always work. But the Biggest problem I see from problems like this is "Root System Failure in Heirloom Plants". Native Americans has taught me the importance of digging a deep hole full of water, before planting historical Heirloom plants. This free up the Roots System as they grow.

But, I am concern with the Advice of 'Bleaching any Seeds. I feel Bleach with negatively damage the Seed Natural Structure. Please explain how you Bleach your Seeds as we know Why you Bleach your Seeds?

MrsJustice June 16, 2022 08:33 AM

[QUOTE=pinklady5;768309]It’s a mix of both. That particular plant is from a local farm/nursery. Of course it has to be the last one I grabbed right before paying.[/QUOTE]

From Your Pictures your plant seam to be separated great. If I was you I would try a very light Vinegar spray on the whole plant then cut the affected limbs off. If I was you, to improve your affected ground from using all that Fertilizer: I would using Natural Organic Compost with plenty of water to drain those chemicals away. I would also stop using all those chemicals trying 'Neutral Organic Fertilizers in the future. Make sure your plant root system is not strained for Healthy Growth, Amen!!.

seaeagle June 16, 2022 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=MrsJustice;768312]I grow only Organically. There is many different Organic Fertilizers that I have tried, and ar very helpful. Sometimes when my plants outgrow their pots, I have a short lives problems that is solved when planted in larger pots or Transplanting to the Farm cutting off lower limbs always work. But the Biggest problem I see from problems like this is "Root System Failure in Heirloom Plants". Native Americans has taught me the importance of digging a deep hole full of water, before planting historical Heirloom plants. This free up the Roots System as they grow.

But, I am concern with the Advice of 'Bleaching any Seeds. I feel Bleach with negatively damage the Seed Natural Structure. Please explain how you Bleach your Seeds as we know Why you Bleach your Seeds?[/QUOTE]

Mrs J, I know bleaching seeds is not organically approved, but it doesn't affect them at all. I cannot remember the ratio of water to bleach because I mix it and usually use it for 2 or 3 years and only on seeds I buy that I have no idea how they were saved. For example the seeds I bought from Heritage this year I did not bleach because I know they were either hot water treated or fermented and bleached. I do not bleach my saved seeds.

It is a very diluted solution and I just add the seeds, let sit for 3 minutes or so, swish em around a little bit and put in a strainer and rinse for a few minutes under running water. The reason for this precautionary step is to remove any pathogens that might remain on the seed coat. Other that that I am totally 100 percent organic. :)