Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   The very large tomato thread (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38899)

biscuitridge March 19, 2023 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=DK2021;770196]But do they taste good?[/QUOTE]

They taste very good!

CrazyAboutOrchids March 21, 2023 08:11 AM

[QUOTE=biscuitridge;770198]They taste very good![/QUOTE]

That's good because, sorry, but that is one ugly tomato! Beauty in the eye's of the beholder... :)

Biggest tomatoes I've ever grown were nowhere near in size; one an Aker's West Virginia (23.3 oz) and one a Pruden's Purple (22.3 oz). I tend to only track numbers produced but if something outstanding (for my garden) comes along, I will weigh.

b54red March 24, 2023 09:00 PM

I grew one well over 2 pounds last year and usually have a few around that big every other year or so but can't imagine what it would take to grow something like the monsters shown in this thread. Congrats.

Bill

b54red May 24, 2023 05:06 AM

Now that my plants are starting to set a fair number of tomatoes I am trying to find all the fused blooms and pull them off so I don't have to deal with those messy tomatoes. We don't like dealing with those fruits with all the fissures and sections so it is easiest to just remove them when they are small. I will always miss a few and get some of those ugly fruits with uneven ripening but those will go to sauce every time.

Bill

PaulF May 24, 2023 11:22 AM

I may have written this before, if so forgive my lack of memory, but I have never in a whole lot of tomato growing years had a fused blossom or one of those monsters. Is this a result of differing weather conditions? or differing geographics?

It seems like fused blossoms occur in the southern regions more than up north even though we have heat and humidity just not like Alabama.

biscuitridge May 24, 2023 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=PaulF;770681]I may have written this before, if so forgive my lack of memory, but I have never in a whole lot of tomato growing years had a fused blossom or one of those monsters. Is this a result of differing weather conditions? or differing geographics?

It seems like fused blossoms occur in the southern regions more than up north even though we have heat and humidity just not like Alabama.[/QUOTE]

Genetics also,all of my plants throw huge megas and I'm in Washington so I don't think geography has anything to do with it, mainly genetics!

ddsack May 24, 2023 01:25 PM

I am up north, and I have fused blossoms early in the season when temps tend cooler, and the plants are young. Not too many once past mid-summer. Varies greatly by variety. My gut feeling is that they are caused by the young plants ramping up their growth once they hit fertile soil, and maybe they produce more energy than can be used in a balanced growth of roots and foliage, so perhaps the excess goes to unusually large or fused blossoms. As the season progresses, the plant learns to adjust to conditions or better coordinate uptake of it's needs. Just my personal take on it.

biscuitridge May 24, 2023 05:17 PM

Giant tomato genetics will produce megas all the way up the plant,I've grown 7 lb tomatoes at 7 feet off the ground.

redneckplanter April 26, 2024 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=biscuitridge;770689]Giant tomato genetics will produce megas all the way up the plant,I've grown 7 lb tomatoes at 7 feet off the ground.[/QUOTE]

That is amazing!