Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Show your butterfly and hummingbird gardens/plants (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47308)

MissS April 19, 2018 10:46 PM

Plants and birds from my yard

7 Attachment(s)
The plants are Agastache, Salvia 'Black and Blue', Salvia 'Hot Lips', Crocosmia 'Lucifer', 'Jewel Weed', Cuphea 'David Verity', Salvia 'Shell Dancer'.

[attach]80567[/attach]

[attach]80569[/attach]

[attach]80571[/attach]

SpookyShoe April 20, 2018 09:39 AM

Patti, those are great photos!

Donna

Gardenboy April 20, 2018 12:54 PM

Passion Vine in full bloom again!! Fresh seeds!!

5 Attachment(s)
Anyone need fresh Passion Vine seeds? I have plenty and vine is full of flowers and fruit again!!

SpookyShoe April 20, 2018 05:37 PM

Beautiful vine, Gardenboy.

Donna

ginger2778 April 20, 2018 10:31 PM

[QUOTE=Gardenboy;696279]Anyone need fresh Passion Vine seeds? I have plenty and vine is full of flowers and fruit again!![/QUOTE]

Yes Douglas, me me me! Please.:)

MissS April 20, 2018 11:16 PM

[QUOTE=SpookyShoe;696253]Patti, those are great photos!

Donna[/QUOTE]

Thank you Donna. These photos were taken by a man named Tom who has become a friend of mine. It has a cute story behind them. One day I came out to the garden and here was a man kinda hiding in the bushes. I was a little perplexed. I looked a little further and he was holding this huge camera. I said "hello" to him "can I help you?" His excited reply was, "there are hummingbirds here". "I know" I said. "This is a hummingbird garden". "Oh, is this yours?" And so it goes... He is a neighbors brother with a new camera. He and his wife now come to visit during peak hummingbird activity times. He enjoys shooting the pictures and I get to have free photos of my garden. It's a win, win situation for us.

Gardenboy, that passion vine is just gorgeous. I wish that I lived further south so that I could grow them.

Nan_PA_6b April 21, 2018 11:48 AM

Gardenboy, what zones is that passion flower hardy in? (Yep, bad grammar)

Nan

SpookyShoe April 21, 2018 12:04 PM

Identify my salvia

1 Attachment(s)
I'm getting a Passion Vine! They grow here.

On another note, what's the name of this salvia I have???

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast

MissS April 21, 2018 12:09 PM

HOT LIPS

[QUOTE=SpookyShoe;696391]I'm getting a Passion Vine! They grow here.

On another note, what's the name of this salvia I have???

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast[/QUOTE]

Donna, that is 'Hot Lips'. Right now it looks like it is wearing it's lipstick. This plant does change colors depending on how much direct sunlight it gets. Sometimes it will be all white and others all red. Sometimes you will have a combination of all three mixes on the plant at the same time. Pay attention to the plant after some dark dreary days and you will see the flower colors change. I find that this one is a hummer favorite.

Hint: This one is VERY EASY from cuttings. :D

ddsack April 21, 2018 12:25 PM

[QUOTE=MissS;696350]Thank you Donna. These photos were taken by a man named Tom who has become a friend of mine. It has a cute story behind them. One day I came out to the garden and here was a man kinda hiding in the bushes. I was a little perplexed. I looked a little further and he was holding this huge camera. I said "hello" to him "can I help you?" His excited reply was, "there are hummingbirds here". "I know" I said. "This is a hummingbird garden". "Oh, is this yours?" And so it goes... He is a neighbors brother with a new camera. He and his wife now come to visit during peak hummingbird activity times. He enjoys shooting the pictures and I get to have free photos of my garden. It's a win, win situation for us.
[/QUOTE]

What an interesting story! The pictures are beautiful, as are your flowers.

LDiane April 22, 2018 11:51 AM

Anna's like my winter-blooming shrubs, and they are high enough
that they are not in danger from cats.

Arbutus unedo, Lonicera standishii, Rosemary, several Grevilleas

I'm inspired by your photos. Will I brave the rain to take photos next year?

MissS April 22, 2018 10:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more photos by Tom. The first is salvia 'Black & Blue' with salvia 'Oxyphoria' in the background. Monarda 'Jacob Cline', followed by lobelia cardinalis and closing with lantana and cuphea 'David Verity' in the background.

[ATTACH]80663[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]80664[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]80665[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]80666[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]80667[/ATTACH]

Nan_PA_6b April 23, 2018 12:11 AM

My very territorial hummingbird just LOVES her some Jacob Cline! (Other monardas will do, in a pinch.)

Nan

Gardenboy April 23, 2018 12:46 PM

Hardiness zone for passion vines are 9b to 11. They can withstand up to 25 degrees. They will bounce back in the Spring if placed in full sun. :surprised:

roper2008 April 23, 2018 01:30 PM

You have some beautiful plants MissS. I can't seem to grow plants that nice.