Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Homemade tomato sauce (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43792)

jpop February 21, 2017 05:29 PM

Thank you Brown. The sauce made above was very similar. Removed core, skin, and majority of seeds. Sauteed onions and garlic in pan, then added into food processor with tomatoes and pulsed to desired consistency. Transferred into pot and added a bay leaf, oregano, a little salt, pepper, garlic granules, onion powder and simmered for app. 30 minutes. Came out great. Never thought of adding beef broth.

brownrexx February 21, 2017 06:06 PM

Here is the recipe that I use for sauce. Looks like I updated it last year to drain the tomatoes a little differently that I said in my previous posting. However I do prepare tomatoes as I described in my previous post to freeze for use in chili or soup later in the winter. I usually freeze several quarts like this and they have a nice, fresh taste. I don't worry about a few seeds.

I began doing the draining step in my sauce because the sauce would look wonderful but when we put it over pasta, some water always separated out around the edge of the plate. Draining the tomatoes before making the sauce has solved this problem

[B][U][COLOR=red][FONT=Times New Roman]Italian Sausage Spaghetti Sauce[/FONT][/COLOR][/U][/B]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]1 large onion, chopped[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]1 clove garlic, minced[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]1 lb. bulk Italian sausage[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]4 c. fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped & drained.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]12 oz tomato paste[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]1 -14 oz can beef broth[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]1 -14 oz can vegetable broth[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]1 tbsp. brown sugar[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]2 tsp. Italian seasoning[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]1 tsp. salt[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Peel tomatoes, chop and cook down for about 20 minutes. Drain in a mesh strainer for 1 hour.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Sauté onion, garlic and sausage until sausage is no longer pink.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Reduce heat and simmer 20-30 minutes until tomato chunks have broken down and sauce is smooth and thick.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Makes 3 quarts[/SIZE][/FONT]

TomNJ February 22, 2017 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have had my Victorio mill for six years now and have processed over 1,500 pounds of tomatoes through it with no problems at all. It saves me hours on large batches, some over 100 pounds of tomatoes, compared to dipping tomatoes in boiling water and skinning by hand. My Victorio, along with my 30 quart All American pressure canner, have made canning a joy instead of a chore.

Here it is in my kitchen with a salsa screen making salsa. I also use finer screens for sauce and juice.

TomNJ/VA

jpop February 22, 2017 12:03 PM

[QUOTE=TomNJ;620786]I have had my Victorio mill for six years now and have processed over 1,500 pounds of tomatoes through it with no problems at all. It saves me hours on large batches, some over 100 pounds of tomatoes, compared to dipping tomatoes in boiling water and skinning by hand. My Victorio, along with my 30 quart All American pressure canner, have made canning a joy instead of a chore.

Here it is in my kitchen with a salsa screen making salsa. I also use finer screens for sauce and juice.

TomNJ/VA[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the feedback Tom. After hand peeling the skins on even a relatively small quantity of tomatoes I feel that these mills are a must.

Worth1 February 22, 2017 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=jpop;620817]Thank you for the feedback Tom. After hand peeling the skins on even a relatively small quantity of tomatoes I feel that these mills are a must.[/QUOTE]
I dont have one but they are a must.
The more tomatoes you process the more you will appreciate them and even ones with a motor drive.
Time is money or time you could spend doing something else.
Worth

Father'sDaughter February 22, 2017 02:29 PM

Homemade tomato sauce

I don't know how my mother did it year after year, but she would can well over 100 quarts using one of those food mills that sits on top of a bowl. I bought one on eBay for cheap money my fist year canning. Torture! And it took forever.

I love my Victorio!

Worth1 February 22, 2017 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=Father'sDaughter;620849]I don't know how my mother did it year after year, but she would can well over 100 quarts using one of those food mills that sits on top of a bowl. I bought one on eBay for cheap money my fist year canning. Torture! And it took forever.

I love my Victorio![/QUOTE]

Mine did too and I helped.
Where were you.:lol:
Worth

Father'sDaughter February 22, 2017 04:54 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;620856]Mine did too and I helped.

Where were you.:lol:

Worth[/QUOTE]

Trust me, my sisters and I spent a lot of time turning that handle...

Worth1 February 22, 2017 05:45 PM

I thought so.
So now you know how she did it, slaves.

jpop February 22, 2017 06:31 PM

I hear you guys loud and clear on the mill. Worth, I hope to contribute to your fermenting thread this summer. Ordering bunch of pepper seeds this week.

Father'sDaughter February 22, 2017 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;620882]I thought so.
So now you know how she did it, slaves.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but we slaves all moved out over 20 years ago and she's still at it... same mill. Although, she has cut back and only does about 80 quarts a year now...

Worth1 February 23, 2017 09:04 PM

I like Container Teds way of just cooking down the tomato juice to a thicker consistency and canning.
This way a person can do as they please with spices later on.:yes:

Worth

Father'sDaughter February 23, 2017 09:49 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;621185]I like Container Teds way of just cooking down the tomato juice to a thicker consistency and canning.
This way a person can do as they please with spices later on.:yes:

Worth[/QUOTE]

Canning purée is definitely the way to go if you want more versatility.

Worth1 February 24, 2017 07:19 AM

I'm overwhelmed at all of the flavors of tomato products on the canned shelf.
All I ever get is puree, paste sometimes crushed and diced.
Never any spiced stuff.
Worth

TomNJ February 24, 2017 10:02 AM

I prefer to add my own home-grown fresh onions, garlic, peppers, oregano and basil to my sauce before canning while they are still available. If I season a puree in the winter or spring I may have to use frozen or store bought vegetables, which kind of takes the fun out of growing your own.

TomNJ/VA