Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Tomato Gravy (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=211)

TomatoDon February 7, 2006 10:40 PM

Tomato Gravy

I've only recently heard about tomato gravy, but they say it is fabulous.

Have any of you tried it? Do you any of you have a good recipe?

Don

Adenn1 February 10, 2006 07:49 AM

I did not learn about "gravy" till I moved to Philly. I have watched people argue over and over whether one should refer to it as "gravy" or "sauce." From what I gather from friends here...gravy is a slow-simmered tomato base that typically includes meat--sausage, pork, beef, etc.

It is often referred to as "Sunday gravy"...as many start a pot early in the morning on Sunday and it is simmered for several hours...till the family arrives for the feast.

Woodenzoo February 10, 2006 11:57 AM

Here's a couple I've found. You can do a search and find many more ideas, but these two seemed the most interesting ones to me.

Tomato Gravy

1 tablespoon butter
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 cups finely chopped peeled red tomato
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Melt butter in a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion, and cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add chopped red tomato; bring to a boil, and cook for 10 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

Tomato Gravy
For more tomato taste, Rhoades suggests adding some V-8 juice.

8 slices bacon
1/4 cup of oil
2 to 3 fresh tomatoes or a small (14-ounce) can of tomatoes
4 tablespoons of flour
2 tablespoons of butter, as needed
1 cup of regular milk
1 large can (12 ounces) evaporated milk

1. Fry bacon until crispy and set aside.
2. Heat oil until hot over medium heat and add flour as you would to make gravy and stir. If too thick, add 2 tablespoons or more of butter until consistency feels right. (It should be slightly thick, but still liquidy.) Add milk, stirring, until mixture becomes smooth and starts to thicken. Add evaporated milk, then add tomatoes, stirring, until gravy thickens and loses any raw-flour taste, 2 to 3 minutes. Then stir in crumbled bacon. Serve over biscuits or toast.

(From Winston -Salem Journal)

Mischka February 10, 2006 12:32 PM

Every time I read this forum, my stomach grumbles and my mouth waters! :lol:

[u]Great[/u] recipes, keep 'em coming :D

Miss_Mudcat February 20, 2006 10:33 AM

Tomato Gravy... Mississippi Traditional southern style:

Fry some meat.
Reserve about 2 TBSP of grease/drippings in skillet.
Add 2 TBSP Flour and salt and pepper. Stir together over medium heat.

In season, add 4 large, very juicy tomatoes, diced small. Out of season, pour in 1 quart of stewed tomatoes or tomato juice. Simmer for just a minute or two.

Serve over homemade buttermilk biscuits!

Oh DROOL!

TomatoDon February 20, 2006 01:38 PM

Wow! Sounds great! And sounds like you know what you're talking 'bout. You have to have a Mississippi connection. Tell me.

Don

"Down in Mississippi"

Miss_Mudcat February 21, 2006 08:56 AM

Hi Don!

(I sent you a PM, wasn't sure if you'd gotten it since I don't seem to have learned the ins and outs of operating this forum.)

Anyway, yes, I am a Mississippi gal; DH is a Mississippi boy. We were both born and raised there until we married at age 24 when he started dragging me all over the country! I stopped crying about it after 9 or so years, and I've learned to live with it. We visit at least once a year, sometimes more. DH is from Pearl and I'm from the big town o' Mize (popn. 300 - Sa-lute!).

So nice to meet you!

Lisa

coronabarb February 23, 2006 11:39 PM

[b]Tomato Gravy over Rice

1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes *
1/2 cup onions, chopped
4 slices bacon
1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
3 tablespoons flour
Salt & black pepper

* Or use fresh tomatoes, and cook them down to about 2 cups.

Fry bacon until done but not crisp. Cut into pieces and set aside. Add onions and green peppers to skillet and sauté until soft. Add tomatoes and simmer 20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Mix flour with enough cold water to make a smooth paste. Add to skillet, stirring constantly until thickened. Serve over cooked rice. Serves 4 to 6.

NOTE: You can omit the bacon and use any meat available (sausage, ham, etc.), or you can substitute 2 or 3 tablespoons butter.[/b]

bully February 26, 2006 03:47 PM

[quote=Mischka]Every time I read this forum, my stomach grumbles and my mouth waters! :lol:

[u]Great[/u] recipes, keep 'em coming :D[/quote]

ain't that the truth!! :D

I'd allow a gravy I.V. ..but it's probably not allowed on mean ol Mrs. Bully's strict diet

Earl April 15, 2006 08:28 PM

If you're lucky enough to have a quart of canned heirlooms, :-), open them and using a very sharp knife, slice tomatoes while they're still in the jar, just saw knife blade from side to side in a gentle fashion. Pour diced tomatoes into pot and cook down a bit, adding seasoning [salt] to your liking, then mix some cornstarch or other thickener with a bit of water and stir into tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes longer. Serve over rice.

P.S. Don't mess with the heirloom taste by adding a lot of other stuff. :-)

coronabarb May 3, 2006 01:38 AM

[b]Old-Fashioned Southern Tomato Gravy

1/2 pound of diced bacon
1 small onion, chopped
2 tablespoons of flour
1/8 teaspoon of salt
A pinch of black pepper
1 14-1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
3 cups of tomato juice

In a skillet, fry bacon until crisp and place on paper towels to drain. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings and cook chopped onion in drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt and black pepper and cook, over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture is golden brown. Gradually add tomatoes and tomato juice and stir well. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until gravy becomes thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in bacon and serve over hot biscuits.[/b]

Zana August 28, 2011 09:13 AM

[B]Basic Tomato Gravy [/B]

6 - 8 medium FRESH tomatoes, cored and peeled
a pinch or two of salt
1/4 - 1/2 c. sugar
flour
water

• Mix the tomatoes, salt and sugar together in a saucepan and cook slowly.
• Simmer for about 30 minutes.
• Mix flour and water together for thickening. (Adjust amount according to how much juice is in the pan).
• Bring the tomatoes to a boil and quickly stir in the flour/water mixture.
• It is possible to get this too thick, so it is best to have it somewhat thin to pour like gravy.

ScottinAtlanta August 28, 2011 11:21 AM

What you call gravy is actually the ancient [U][I][/I][/U][URL="http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCUQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FNeapolitan_language&rct=j&q=naples%20italy%20neapolitan&ei=yVxaTu7UN8Xh0QHwvb2UCQ&usg=AFQjCNF200BbXgVwUt0qLNTb_09tkNLuww&cad=rja"][I][/I][/URL]Neapolitan recipe for ragu. You simmer meat in tomato stock until the meat disappears - they call it "putting the soul of the meat into the tomato."

kenny_j December 27, 2011 09:04 PM

One gourmet cook book I have gives a recipe for "Italian Gravy", which is just a very hearty spaghetti sauce. Calls for: tomato puree, tomato paste, chicken or beef broth, dry red wine, onions, garlic, celery, carrot, parsley, mushrooms, red pepper flakes, oregano, rosemary, basil, cloves (optional), salt, black pepper, brown sugar and meat if you wish. Carrots, grated are a must for me in a good sauce or gravy. I had a friend who was a professional Chef. He made dinner for an X-mas party once, and a pot roast was one dish. The juice or gravy it was in was extraordinary in flavor. He said it was a standard red-eye gravy. Just add a can of tomatoes, or some paste to virtually any standard gravy to impart extra flavor. It's wonderful!!!

kj

Worth1 December 27, 2011 09:49 PM

Gravy = sauce = sugo

Worth