Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing for Market (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Cool Bot controller (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45235)

clkeiper June 28, 2017 06:57 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;650511]Depends on how well insulated the container is and how often you go in and out of it.
I just drilled into a commercial freezer and refrigerator for temperature probes.
The insulation was over 4 inches thick.

Not for sure how the coolbot works but it looks like they are just changing the temperature span of an air conditioner thermostat control.????
This can be easily done for way less money if that is the case.
Worth[/QUOTE]
Worth the cool bot uses a unit to override the airconditioners sensor. it keeps the unit running and cooling at the temp you set it at. mine is at 42 and the remote sensors I have in the house read 42 and 39...since it seems pretty consistent I can remove my greenhouse sensors from the cooler and put them back in the greenhouses. we built a walk in cooler in our shed and paid Money and Moses to come spray on insulation. I think we have about 1000.00 in it.

Worth1 June 28, 2017 07:08 AM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;650512]Worth the cool bot uses a unit to override the airconditioners sensor. it keeps the unit running and cooling at the temp you set it at. mine is at 42 and the remote sensors I have in the house read 42 and 39...since it seems pretty consistent I can remove my greenhouse sensors from the cooler and put them back in the greenhouses. we built a walk in cooler in our shed and paid Money and Moses to come spray on insulation. I think we have about 1000.00 in it.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was how it worked, makes it easy for the home owner.:)
I went to a refrigeration parts supply place some years ago and that is when I was clued in on how you could change things around with the right controller.
Took the mystery right out of it for me.:lol:
Also has me thinking about building something like this off the side of my house.

Worth

BigVanVader June 28, 2017 08:24 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;650516]I thought that was how it worked, makes it easy for the home owner.:)
I went to a refrigeration parts supply place some years ago and that is when I was clued in on how you could change things around with the right controller.
Took the mystery right out of it for me.:lol:
Also has me thinking about building something like this off the side of my house.

Worth[/QUOTE]

Idk Worth, better do a test build off the side of mine first to be safe. Call me when you land. ;)

Worth1 June 28, 2017 09:23 AM

[QUOTE=BigVanVader;650529]Idk Worth, better do a test build off the side of mine first to be safe. Call me when you land. ;)[/QUOTE]

I want mine to hang and dry meat and sausage plus a place to process.
You even think about raw meat here in tbe summer and flies come from miles around. :(
The insulation is going to be expensive.
I think 8X8 or 10 will be big enough.
Now that I think about it those kitchen coolers may have been six inches thick.
I know one thing I investigated big time before I drilled holes in these things. :lol:

Carolyn what is the R rating you have on your cooler?

Salsacharley June 28, 2017 10:08 AM

Here's some pretty cheap AC units from walmart. My daughter got the cheapest one and runs it about 20 hrs per day. It is on its 2nd year.

[url]https://www.walmart.com/browse/home-improvement/window-air-conditioners/1072864_133032_1231458_133026_587566[/url]

clkeiper June 28, 2017 01:04 PM

Worth I honestly don't know as it is a spray on foam. Kevin made the arrangements but I can tell you the outside of the wall is not cool to the touch inside of the rest of the building.

Cole_Robbie June 28, 2017 03:12 PM

What is the cheapest insulation? I have been wondering that lately.

Nematode June 28, 2017 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;650625]What is the cheapest insulation? I have been wondering that lately.[/QUOTE]

Cheapest isn't always the best, though it's a good place to start looking.;)
You will need a closed cell foam or it will fill with water from condensate and be useless.

Spray in may be on the more expensive end, but the best value.
It won't waterlog, and it can fix all the leaks you unintentionally left in during construction.

Nematode June 28, 2017 03:46 PM

Cheapest is likely sawdust. Its what my grandpa used to keep lake ice frozen all summer for delivery.

pmcgrady June 28, 2017 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;650625]What is the cheapest insulation? I have been wondering that lately.[/QUOTE]

The last insulation job I saw last year was on a cabin I helped build. A company here called R Factor sprayed walls and ceiling with about an inch an a half of closed cell foam, then sprayed wet cellulose (chopped wet newspaper) to fill the 6" walls the rest of the way. They said it was the most bang for the buck but wouldn't tell me what they were charging.

clkeiper June 28, 2017 10:36 PM

Worth, I asked Kevin he said he thought it was r20. not positive though.

Worth1 June 29, 2017 05:24 AM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;650700]Worth, I asked Kevin he said he thought it was r20. not positive though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.
If a person used 4 inches worth of high density foam board it would be R20.
Every inch has an R factor of 5 with this stuff and it doesn't break down.
Another thing to do is put that silver stuff pointing towards the outside.
The stuff is around 40 dollars for a 4X8X2 sheet.

Worth

clkeiper June 29, 2017 07:01 AM

that would make sense for the r factor. the wall is filled all the way to the edge of the studs. we had to scrape a little to put up the osb.

Worth1 June 29, 2017 07:59 AM

Anyone considering this remember a 2X4 is really 3 1/2 X 1 1/2.
If you go out and buy the two inch thick insulation board and stack them they wont fit.:(
Worth

clkeiper June 29, 2017 09:34 AM

yep, that I knew but then there is also the osb and siding on each side of the foam, too.I suppose there is a little insulation there. We had to buy a new ac unit since the first one we bought was too small. I didn't realize the ac requirements for the coolbot would be larger than I expected. so, I will leave the one we bought first in the garage window where it is and cool off the garage when we have company /family events where we can use the garage and driveway for the room they have compared to the rest of the house (and no steps to speak of for the elderly/feeble parents we have now..)