Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   spinach (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=32520)

better boy May 22, 2014 08:51 PM

spinach

took a chance to try something new along with my tomatos this year, Lowes had flats of spinach on display so i decided to try some --wish i'd done it years ago, it has been in the containers for 3 weeks and last night we picked enough for the 4 of us. tastes soooo much better than the super market stuff.

kath May 22, 2014 10:09 PM

I love growing spinach- it's really easy to start from seed, too. The neighbors are always amazed at the taste of homegrown compared to what you get in the stores.

luigiwu May 22, 2014 10:26 PM

What kind of spinach? I have an extra bed (approx 5-inch high) that I need to figure out what to grow in it.

jmsieglaff May 22, 2014 10:33 PM

I sowed mine back in April and because of the cool spring it is behind schedule, but we should start harvesting soon. Looks to be a short season, I find my spinach always bolts between June 10-15, believe it is related to the very long day length. But it is always the foundation for lots of big salads we eat for dinner. Our lettuce harvest is about to get crazy, big salads every night! Now I just need to do a better job of late summer/fall lettuce and spinach for when the tomatoes, peppers and cukes are coming in non-stop.

gssgarden May 22, 2014 10:40 PM

going to have another Spinach Salad tomorrow!!

Between the Arugula, Lettuce, and Spinach, I'm all salad-ed out!! lol

I have one 4 ft row of each in raised beds and it's plenty for 5 of us. Salad every other night at least plus pickings for sandwiches and such.

LOVE the Greens in the Spring!!

Greg

peppero May 23, 2014 07:22 AM

I really like picking fresh arugula and spinach and chomping them right there.

jon:yes:;)

better boy May 23, 2014 08:14 PM

Hi
this was Bloomsdale Long Standing spinach --i am going to try some others this fall, i;ll let you know how they work out.
Bob

mdvpc May 23, 2014 08:19 PM

Bloomsdale is a great variety. There are also some Italian varieties that I have grown that are really good.

RebelRidin May 23, 2014 10:08 PM

[QUOTE=better boy;412486]Hi
this was Bloomsdale Long Standing spinach --i am going to try some others this fall, i;ll let you know how they work out.
Bob[/QUOTE]

I'ld recommend you try Tyee for the fall...

Andrey_BY May 24, 2014 04:11 AM

Spinach and radish are two main early spring salad components here and late summer/early fall too.

Usually I grow Matador, Victoria and Zhirnolistnyi spinach and a wide number of radish varieties of many colors.
Zlatka (the one with yellow root, Czech CV) is my favorite radish.

shelleybean May 24, 2014 06:37 AM

Our spinach and lettuce are winding down. I have 8 gallons sized bags washed in the fridge and I need to pick and clean the rest this weekend. I like Giant Nobel spinach and sow in early March. We can usually keep picking until the beginning of June and then I plant beans in that spot. More greens in the fall. It's nice to be able to just walk past that area of the produce section in the store because we've got our own.:)

better boy May 25, 2014 12:52 PM

Just picked up 3 pkgs. of Tyee, now i can't wait till fall <s>

TightenUp May 25, 2014 04:37 PM

[QUOTE=RebelRidin;412507]I'ld recommend you try Tyee for the fall...[/QUOTE]

Do you grow fall crops in maryland? i'm not far behind you at the jersey shore and will have a free row for the first time this fall. usually its all tomatoes but tried a row of garlic this season.

What and when do you plant for the fall?

RebelRidin May 26, 2014 06:16 AM

[QUOTE=TightenUp;412763]Do you grow fall crops in maryland? i'm not far behind you at the jersey shore and will have a free row for the first time this fall. usually its all tomatoes but tried a row of garlic this season.

What and when do you plant for the fall?[/QUOTE]

We'll start planting fall spinach starting around August 15th or later depending on timing of other plantings and weather outlook. I have to sow it thicker as germination is not as good. Keep it well watered (daily for me) to get it up in the heat.

I'll keep planting small batches through Sept./early Oct. Later plantings will overwintering under some row cover (lost some of these this last year due to the very cold winter). For these later plantings I like Tyee but also plant some smooth leaf varieties so we have a mix in the spring.

Good luck with yours!

kath May 26, 2014 08:05 AM

I've had the best results with Olympia, Donkey, Tyee and Space- all hybrids, but if purchased in larger amounts and kept in a glass jar in the basement has been viable for 10+ yrs.!