Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   2017 Tomato and Garden Pictures (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43410)

Greatgardens January 22, 2017 06:49 AM

What varieties of micros are you growing there? I've got Linda and Mohamed that I'll start at the end of this month.
-GG

jmsieglaff January 22, 2017 09:31 AM

These are experimental--they are from a cross Dan Follett did. Numbered as 19x. It is a cross between a red cherry micro dwarf and Ambrosia Orange UBX. These are 19xF2 plants from seed I collected from the F1.

dfollett January 22, 2017 10:54 AM

Great photos! They look really healthy. Do they share a container or are they in separate pots inside the picket fence? How do you fertilize them? I've not experimented much with that.

jmsieglaff January 22, 2017 05:56 PM

Thanks Dan! What is the name of the micro parent again?

They are in the same soil, about 0.5 cu ft total. I feed them with some Oscomote granular once and Miracle Grow every 3-4th watering. In ProMix organic mix with fungi.

dfollett January 22, 2017 09:26 PM

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;612928]Thanks Dan! What is the name of the micro parent again?

They are in the same soil, about 0.5 cu ft total. I feed them with some Oscomote granular once and Miracle Grow every 3-4th watering. In ProMix organic mix with fungi.[/QUOTE]

The micro mama was Red Robin X Rose Quartz Multiflora F4. It is a micro multiflora from a cross made by Chris Kafer (ChrisK). I was growing out the micro from that cross for Chris trying to stabilize it. (I am growing the F8s now. It is a great micro tomato.) This is a link to part of a thread ChrisK has where he discussed the original cross from which that micro came.

[url]http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28443&page=25[/url]

It is an old and very long thread. The page that link takes you to has a photo of a cousin of the mama of these that shows the potential I think lurks inside these little things. That photo is in post #370. There are lots of other photos in that thread.

I got permission from ChrisK to use it to make crosses of my own. I've made crosses between that micro multiflora and over 55 different varieties - many of which were themselves unstable.

I grew most of the F1s last summer and and am having fun seeing what I can find in the F2s. There is absolutely no way I will ever be able to fully realize the potential that is in these crosses. That is why I'm happy, even eager to let others help with the grow-outs.

Thanks for your interest, James.

jmsieglaff January 24, 2017 08:59 PM

Well I learned something already this year. Onion seeds do not keep like tomato seeds. I sow onion seeds and like clock work 8 days and boom they start coming up. This year, I had seeds packed for 2015 and figured no problem. Well after 14 days and 1 had sprouted, I started over with seeds packed for 2017. Live and learn!

jmsieglaff January 29, 2017 09:50 PM

Another step in the right direction!!

Tonight we sowed seeds for:
Aji Amarillo
Serrano
Poblano (Ancho Gigantea)

Sweet peppers will come sometime around Feb. 10 or so.

jmsieglaff February 7, 2017 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Woooo!!! Micro dwarfs (2 separate plants) are blushing tonight!

MissS February 7, 2017 10:10 PM

Now that brings me a smile! Yum....

jmsieglaff February 14, 2017 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And there they are! Enjoyed these with my little taster and we sowed sweet peppers seeds as well!

jmsieglaff March 26, 2017 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Basement plants are coming along!

Photo is:
Top: lettuce broccoli and kale
middle: onions that need a haircut
Bottom: peppers, bigger ones are hot and small ones are sweet.

The cool season stuff will move out to the cold frame in a week or so.

Tomatoes will be sown in 1 week!!! :)

AKmark March 27, 2017 02:15 AM

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;627558]Basement plants are coming along!

Photo is:
Top: lettuce broccoli and kale
middle: onions that need a haircut
Bottom: peppers, bigger ones are hot and small ones are sweet.

The cool season stuff will move out to the cold frame in a week or so.

Tomatoes will be sown in 1 week!!! :)[/QUOTE]
When is it safe to plant outside in your area? Do you have much problem with disease?

jmsieglaff March 27, 2017 09:25 AM

I'll direct sow cool season stuff like radish, spinach and peas as soon as my soil temps start getting around 50F, usually early April. I plant out cool season starts of onions, broccoli, and lettuce around April 15-20, depending on soil temps and 5-10 day weather pattern.

Tomatoes usually get planted out May 15ish and peppers either the same or a week or so later. Last year we had one of the later freezes in a while, I managed to only lose 3 tomatoes and they were ones I knew I could replace rather easily.

By far the biggest challenge I face each year is Septoria on tomatoes, gray mold can pop up, but compared to Septoria it is a small issue. I also control powdery mildew on cucubrits starting late July/early August.

jmsieglaff April 2, 2017 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2017 tomato seeds are sown! Only stuff I need to sow this coming weekend are tomatillos and micro marigolds.

MissS April 2, 2017 08:41 PM

It looks like you are growing a nice variety of tomatoes this season. You ought to be having some great meals. What kind of tomatoes do have there on the counter and are they any good?