Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Soilbuilding 101™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Be careful of your mulch pile! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=21519)

ScottinAtlanta February 23, 2012 10:55 AM

Be careful of your mulch pile!

Good heavens!

[url]http://www.ctnow.com/news/connecticut/hartford/hc-wethersfield-mulch-20120222,0,852137.story?hpt=us_bn4[/url]

dustyrivergarden February 23, 2012 12:39 PM

that happen more than you know there's been a big mulch pile burning near phoenix for a week now. its happens a lot there just not turning there piles as often as they should...

Worth1 February 23, 2012 12:42 PM

Thats why you dont bail green hay, it burns down barns.

Worth

Sun City Linda February 23, 2012 12:53 PM

Many years ago when I was a young woman, I placed a bag of peat up against an old wood fence adjoining my house. Fortunately, one sunny day, I smelled the smoke. Had I not been home it could have been a very bad ending.:dizzy:

RebelRidin February 23, 2012 07:46 PM

I really liked this part of the story...

"Turner said the federal government should reimburse the town 75 percent of the expense because [URL="http://www.ctnow.com/topic/us/connecticut/hartford-county/wethersfield-PLGEO100100202270000.topic"]Wethersfield[/URL] is eligible for federal disaster aid in association with the October storm that toppled many trees statewide. ..."

Translation... "Don't let our ignorance trouble you.... "

Ooops.... Am I slipping over the cliff of politics? :?!?::x

Worth1 February 23, 2012 07:56 PM

[QUOTE=RebelRidin;257235]I really liked this part of the story...

"Turner said the federal government should reimburse the town 75 percent of the expense because [URL="http://www.ctnow.com/topic/us/connecticut/hartford-county/wethersfield-PLGEO100100202270000.topic"]Wethersfield[/URL] is eligible for federal disaster aid in association with the October storm that toppled many trees statewide. ..."

Translation... "Don't let our ignorance trouble you.... "

Ooops.... Am I slipping over the cliff of politics? :?!?::x[/QUOTE]
No, there is a big difference between the governments idiocy and politics.
We all agree we are being hosed. :lol:

Worth

RebelRidin February 23, 2012 08:10 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;257238]No, there is a big difference between the governments idiocy and politics.
We all agree we are being hosed. :lol:

Worth[/QUOTE]

OK, I'll finish...

"Don't let our ignorance trouble you. Pay no attention to the fact that we are now paying a company (with your tax dollars) that makes money distrubuting and selling mulch to haul away what could have been YOUR mulch so that they can finish composting it properly and sell it back to YOU for a profit. No folks, don't let that trouble you at all...

After all it will net us another $30,000 in federal funds that we won't even have to think about in order to piddle it away right along side your local tax dollars that we already piddle away so effectively."

:x:x:x:x:x:x

Sun City Linda February 23, 2012 09:40 PM

Good job George!!! :yes:

Worth1 February 23, 2012 09:51 PM

Bravo George.:yes:

Worth

tjg911 February 23, 2012 09:57 PM

[QUOTE=RebelRidin;257243]OK, I'll finish...

"Don't let our ignorance trouble you. Pay no attention to the fact that we are now paying a company (with your tax dollars) that makes money distrubuting and selling mulch to haul away what could have been YOUR mulch so that they can finish composting it properly and sell it back to YOU for a profit. No folks, don't let that trouble you at all...

After all it will net us another $30,000 in federal funds that we won't even have to think about in order to piddle it away right along side your local tax dollars that we already piddle away so effectively."

:x:x:x:x:x:x[/QUOTE]

i was thinking the same thing! you know in the overall scheme of things here in ct, this is nothing. i can't discuss anything because it's all politics but the morons that are in hartford (governor and legislature) have been ruining this state for decades. oh new ones come and go and they just get worse, it's a crisis here, we are bankrupt tho you don't hear it on the news yet. waste like this is an every day occurrence and the tax payers, whether state or federal, pick up the tab. no one is ever punished it's just no big deal, the government will pay for it.

it's funny tho, that picture of a front end loader digging though a steaming mulch pile, because today i was out in the sticks driving around and i saw all this smoke and then i saw a bobcat (small loader not the critter) digging in the pile! i knew what it was but initially i thought the steam was from a sap house boiling maple sap to make syrup there was so much steam!

tom

Father'sDaughter February 23, 2012 11:38 PM

Two fires within two years:

[url]http://peabody.patch.com/d/articles/farm-ave-business-also-saw-four-alarm-mulch-fire-in-2010[/url]

I heard that the city is now trying to shut down all mulch operations.

RebelRidin February 24, 2012 07:01 AM

[QUOTE=tjg911;257274]i was thinking the same thing! you know in the overall scheme of things here in ct, this is nothing. i can't discuss anything because it's all politics but the morons that are in hartford (governor and legislature) have been ruining this state for decades. oh new ones come and go and they just get worse, it's a crisis here, we are bankrupt tho you don't hear it on the news yet. waste like this is an every day occurrence and the tax payers, whether state or federal, pick up the tab. no one is ever punished it's just no big deal, the government will pay for it.

tom[/QUOTE]

I know it is small comfort Tom but I think CT has a lot of company across the US. It concerns me greatly, not so much for myself but for my children. From time to time I think of Jefferson and wonder how many generations will pass before we reach the time of the next great fracture in our nations history and how much sacrifice will be required to steady the path.

The irony of this being in the soil building section just struck me. I'll let this go now. It's not that I would really head off into into politics. I couldn't because I don't believe in it or in any politician, at least none breathing. It is however getting too serious and causing my mood to turn dark. I will however take away a new signature as you will see below...

Petronius_II February 24, 2012 07:30 AM

I guess I'm just missing something about this story.

Around here, the only problem we have with mulch is finding enough of it. It can, and probably would, go straight from the wood chipper to the gardens. No composting needed or wanted. Ruth Stout was from Connecticut, at least she'd understand. If she were still alive.

lakelady February 24, 2012 08:14 AM

Instead of "giving" it to the company taking it away, they should just offer and charge residents the trucking fee and give it back to the folks in the town. Nice of someone to offer to "take it away" for a fee so they can resell it! That stinks.

stormymater February 24, 2012 08:51 AM

Green Hay burns barns & mildews inside if it doesn't burn - makes $$$ bales of timothy & alfalfa & even fescue useless for feed.

Hot chips in my walkways are mainstay for weed control - I walk it daily though. Actually getting harder to lay hands on & the Florida betony is most grateful...