Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Hornworms (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47444)

Worth1 May 6, 2018 01:40 PM

Hornworms

1 Attachment(s)
Show your hornworms.
Here is a tomato hornworm not a tobacco hornworm.
Both eat tomato plants.
Just plucked it from one of my tomato plants.
Very early in the year for them here.
Keep an eye out folks.
Worth

[ATTACH]81007[/ATTACH]

upcountrygirl May 6, 2018 03:38 PM

Our poultry considers those nasty l'il monsters a tasty treat, Worth!

b54red May 6, 2018 05:57 PM

I always thought they might make good fish bait but luckily I never had enough of them to try.:))

Bill

FourOaks May 6, 2018 05:58 PM

Did you name him before dispatching?:lol:

Worth1 May 6, 2018 08:12 PM

I set it out on the drive for a bird to eat.:twisted:

Worth

AlittleSalt May 6, 2018 10:32 PM

Bill, we must think alike at times. I thought fish bait too.

Spartanburg123 May 6, 2018 10:32 PM

They are quite delicious sliced like a pork loin on a cracker....:)

Gardeneer May 6, 2018 11:39 PM

I had them last year, both on my tobacco and tomato plants. But not this early though. I would hunt them few times a day and smash them under my shoes. They are easy to detect as they like tender parts on the top.
I am finding Stink Bugs now. Last evening I got about a dozen of them on the mustard plant. How about that ! They like mustard flavor.:)):))

Nan_PA_6b May 6, 2018 11:43 PM

Darin, I'd say "ew" but found this on Google:

[I]"David George Gordon, author of The Eat-A-Bug Cookbook, says that [B]Tomato Hornworms[/B] can be fried up much the same as the fruit of the plant on which they feed. ... They are often prepared boiled, sauteed, roasted, or fried, and [B]taste[/B] like a nutty shrimp."
[/I]

Nan

kurt May 7, 2018 05:21 AM

They come from your bought at one time mix maybe,then morph into this big bird looking moth ,nice design on wings.They are laying eggs 24/7.DE will slow them down below ground,or deep nuke if desired lot of water,kills everything else.Our chickens take care of above ground.Nice blending in on branch,will stay on plant,eats for days,craps black ooze.Will de head a whole mater top over nite.Good BB gun practice.They will bite you.Camo shows wrong head markings,a diversion.Most birds spit them out here.

beasl004 May 7, 2018 08:11 AM

[QUOTE=b54red;698855]I always thought they might make good fish bait but luckily I never had enough of them to try.:))

Bill[/QUOTE]

I tried it last year. They float and the bass in our lake sample them and then spit them out.

Nan_PA_6b May 7, 2018 10:50 AM

I read a recipe that called for 4 medium green tomatoes & hornworms. They say to top each slice of fried green tomato with 2 fried hornworms.

Assuming, say, 5 good slices 1/4" thick. That's 20 total slices, so 2 x 20 = 40 hornworms.

Honey, if you have 40 hornworms, you don't have 4 tomatoes.

Nan

Salsacharley May 7, 2018 01:31 PM

Seems like they would shrivel up to nothing when fried. They are full of green goop that must be 90% water.

ChiliPeppa May 7, 2018 02:48 PM

The large amount of yellow jackets in my garden and around the shadehouse take care of hornworms for me. I sometimes see a few at end of season, but they go to the chickens.

oldman May 7, 2018 04:42 PM

I have a ritual that involves a pair of bricks. Gross, but effective. Not really as satisfying as you might think though, especially if he took out a plant before you found him. Those little suckers eat fast. It's the combination of voracious and relentless.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX 7 using Tapatalk