Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   2016 Mostly Mystery 'Mater Mailing (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42196)

Tormato July 15, 2016 04:08 PM

2016 Mostly Mystery 'Mater Mailing

I'm starting off the 2016 MMMM with the most asked question for the past several swaps... what's my address? It's found (at the 3 Elvis emojis) here...

[url]www.tomatoville.com/showpost.php?p=432928&postcount=169[/url]

Next will be "rules" on deadlines, sending packages, number of seeds/seed packs, and the different parts of the swap.

Gary

Tormato July 15, 2016 04:36 PM

The MMMM swap (tomatoes/peppers/misc. veggie-fruit/flowers) and the Bean/Legume swap will both have the same deadlines.

Joining can start anytime, and ends on November 1st.

PACKAGES SHOULD GET HERE BY NOVEMBER 10th. (for procrastinators, please read that as NOVEMBER 1st);)

Seed pack info (from the 2014 swap) can be found here...

[url]www.tomatoville.com/showpost.php?p=499539&postcount=549[/url]

For the one-time description of each variety on your send-in list (not including others wish list varieties you are sending in), you may add what category/categories that variety can go into.

HappyGardener23 July 15, 2016 05:10 PM

Okay, I'm going to start with a couple questions that I haven't been able to figure out the answers to from reading prior MMM threads....

1. What are the minimum and maximum number of total seed packets one should send in?

2. Are there a minimum or maximum number of seed packets to send in for a given category (e.g. can I send in 3 red, 25 dwarf, 14 green, 6 Tribbles, etc)?

3. Would you like us to list the category on the seed packet or not? I know you mentioned that you like to be flexible to fill out categories (e.g., route a "red" to an "Eastern European" as appropriate).

4. Must you send in seeds from a given category in order to receive seeds from that category or not? If not, do you just indicate interest through the wish list (e.g. I want lots of KYSO and dwarf)?

5. I'm flummoxed by the wish list guidelines. Am I correct in understanding that if you send in more seeds, you can make fewer "wishes" on your list?

Okay, enough questions for now. I cannot wait for the swap, now I just need some tomatoes to ripen.

clkingtx July 15, 2016 07:38 PM

So excited to see this message! I have been really looking forward to this!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:yes::yes::yes:

Aerial July 15, 2016 08:26 PM

Tormato, for the legume swap, would there be interests in Pigeon Peas? (I just purchased some.) It's a perennial legume, common in Central America.

clkingtx July 15, 2016 08:37 PM

[QUOTE=Aerial;578371]Tormato, for the legume swap, would there be interests in Pigeon Peas? (I just purchased some.) It's a perennial legume, common in Central America.[/QUOTE]

Ariel,

We really do seem to like the same types of plants! :yes: I was just looking at these on amazon today!

Count me in for the legume swap, I am planning to grow quite a few kinds this fall!

AlittleSalt July 15, 2016 09:11 PM

Very cool, a perennial legume/bean.

Aerial July 15, 2016 09:16 PM

Carrie & Salt. I'll tag some for you while I send them in. It should grow as perennial in TX. ;)

AlittleSalt July 15, 2016 09:22 PM

Thank you Aerial :)

clkingtx July 15, 2016 10:49 PM

Thanks, Ariel! I appreciate that!

Susan66 July 15, 2016 11:35 PM

I'm looking forward to the swap. 1st time for me. While it's possible I might have a few desirable varieties, nothing is sure at this time. I have yet to harvest a single tomato this year. (Not unusual in my area/zone)
I may need to find me a sponsor if I only get commonplace varieties in the end. ( It's a little strange. Part of what I planted was a mix of 6 heirlooms from Burpee, but many of my plants, started too early and set out to harden off too soon, died from the stress. It won't be difficult to tell what's what when things ripen, each variety in the mix being a different color, but for all I know only one or two kinds from the mix might have made it. ) I have to wait and see. Meanwhile I am having pangs of jealousy at the beautiful photos of pretty tomatoes other people are posting, and enjoying my other veggies as they ripen.
So thanks, Tormato! Looking forward to what others have, and what I can contribute to the MMMM. :yes:
Susan

greenthumbomaha July 15, 2016 11:55 PM

Hi Susan66, no worries I can help you as a sponsor.
Up to now I have been on the receiving side. Does the sponsor send seeds to the newbie or directly to Tormato? Do the wanted/donated categories have to match somehow?

- Lisa

EricaBraun July 15, 2016 11:59 PM

[QUOTE=Aerial;578371]Tormato, for the legume swap, would there be interests in Pigeon Peas? (I just purchased some.) It's a perennial legume, common in Central America.[/QUOTE]

:D I'd love Pigeon Peas! :D

EricaBraun July 16, 2016 12:03 AM

Tormato -- I look forward to your swap every year. Please count me in again!

AlittleSalt July 16, 2016 12:29 AM

[QUOTE=greenthumbomaha;578434]Hi Susan66, no worries I can help you as a sponsor.
Up to now I have been on the receiving side. Does the sponsor send seeds to the newbie or directly to Tormato? Do the wanted/donated categories have to match somehow?

- Lisa[/QUOTE]

Lisa, I can answer this part: My first year of participating, I was sponsored by many people. They sent seeds to Tormato and let him know they were sponsoring me.

I like how Tormato distributes the seeds. It inspires me to send in more seeds - especially those that are more difficult to find.