Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Okra lovers, New Bush Longhorn Okra (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46200)

Rajun Gardener November 13, 2017 03:22 PM

Okra lovers, New Bush Longhorn Okra

10 Attachment(s)
I just got home from visiting an old retired soybean farmer, his new hobby is breeding plants and here's the one he's selling.

I'm glad he still had plants in the ground because I would've never believed it from the pic I saw. These things are a beast of a plant and high producer. I know most okra will branch out if planted with room but this is just crazy growth. Notice how close the nodes are on the plant, every one of those has produced an okra pod.

He's selling seeds if anybody wants some. Mark Menard 337-224-3287. These should be available in a season or two from seed suppliers. He had a few orders of 30# of seed to go to a few nurseries in other states.

I don't have anything to do with him, I'm just passing it along. I first saw it on Facebook. [url]https://www.facebook.com/LAFVGA[/url]

Here's a few pics.

Salsacharley November 13, 2017 04:48 PM

Good grief! That's an okra forest.

Worth1 November 13, 2017 05:48 PM

Can't stand okra, nasty stuff.

Rajun Gardener November 13, 2017 06:24 PM

Good thing you don't have to stand it, it looks like it's doing fine without any help.

But I know you're playing and want some just to see if it's real. Christmas is coming!!!

ChristinaJo November 15, 2017 12:04 AM

You'd have to be a lumberjack to chop that down

GoDawgs March 2, 2018 10:42 AM

Wow! That's amazing! Looking at the first pic I'd call it "Crown of Glory".

Al@NC March 2, 2018 10:53 AM

Yes, that's beautiful!

Al

Zeedman March 3, 2018 12:11 AM

Wow!!! It probably wouldn't do well up here, most okra varieties don't... but its nice to dream.

BigVanVader March 6, 2018 11:59 AM

Very cool! The issue with okra here is it gets to high to pick w/o a ladder by mid Summer.

Rajun Gardener March 6, 2018 12:22 PM

That issue is because you plant to close together, try spacing it at least 2' apart and you'll see a big difference.

BigVanVader March 6, 2018 12:36 PM

Well this bush okra solves my issue plus looks more productive. :D

sirtanon March 6, 2018 12:40 PM

That's pretty insane, right there. I do enjoy me some okra.. just not sure where I'd plant it...

b54red March 7, 2018 05:39 PM

Longhorn okra has been my favorite for nearly 20 years and it makes a ton but by the middle of July or early August it is just too tall even when planted with a lot of space between the plants. I like it because it gets so much longer than most okras and is still young and tender. At the end of the season I have to use a shovel and dig it up it is so huge. Thanks for the heads up on this variety of Longhorn.

Bill

Al@NC March 7, 2018 09:07 PM

I wonder how many months above 70f you need to have it perform that well though...

Al

b54red August 22, 2018 04:46 PM

Rajun, thank you. I'm growing that okra now. I ran into one big problem. I planted it about 3 feet apart in my 4 ft wide beds and it grew so thick that I had to go back when it was 3 ft tall and remove every other one in order for them to have room to grow. Next year I will plant them about 5 ft apart or more. Apart from the one plant on the west end of the bed production has been poor and I think it was because they didn't have enough sunlight due to the crowding. Now the plants are really starting to spread well and I am getting more okra. I love this variety since it has such a heavy foliage with large leaves that the okra pods don't get too much sun so they stay very tender for a long time which means some big pods. No need to pick it when it is only 4 inches long. It is better to wait til it is 7 to 8 inches long and I picked one nearly a food long that was still butter tender. I much prefer this variety to the regular cowhorn okra.

Bill