Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Place to put results for the Brandywine X Tad F3 seed share results (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=10535)

nctomatoman March 2, 2009 11:26 AM

Place to put results for the Brandywine X Tad F3 seed share results

Could I ask those to whom I sent seeds for the various Brandywine X Tad cross F3 growouts to put your results here. I will make the thread sticky so it stays on top for this season.

ContainerTed March 5, 2009 01:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Okay, first report.

In the order shown in the pictures below:

PL1 (05-59) - 5 seeds started - three germinated normally
PL6 (05-69) - 5 seeds started - two germinated - one abnormally (stump)
RL4 (05-73) - 5 seeds started - four germinated normally.

Growing medium is MG seed starter mix. Ambient temperature in the room was 73 F. Tray temperature was allowed to stabilize 48 hours before seeds introduced to the mix. All water is at room temp and outgases for 24 hours before put in with plants to reduce chlorine problems. Lights are on for 19 hours and off for 5. No other light available in the location.

While the PL1 and RL4 seedlings came up readily, the PL6 seemed to struggle and were notibly less vigorous.

Am starting another 10 seeds each of the two Potato leaf types and another 5 of the Regular Leaf tomorrow.

More next time.

Ted

ContainerTed March 9, 2009 06:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I confirmed with Craig (on another thread) that the foliage seen in the pictures below is what he was talking about when he said "spindly foliage". In picture #1, the seedling on the left shows obvious deviation from the other two.

Ted

newatthiskat March 11, 2009 08:32 AM

OK I am a loser as far as research! I planted several days ago but forgot how many seeds I planted. So far 2 are up of PL4:05-64 and 4 of RL5:05-74. I planted about double the seeds of 05-74. I realize that I have planted a little late for my growing season but if it is anything like last year once the heat lets up some the plants will start putting out fruit. I am very hopefull! It is funny looking at little infant germinating seeds after looking at my other plants that are finally starting to get big and strong.:) Question Craig. Are you looking for anything in particular in these that I should be searching for? Traits you are wanting?
Kat

newatthiskat March 15, 2009 12:04 AM

So far it looks like I will have 3 of each PL4:05-64 and RL5:05-74 to work with. My cat decided to jump on the table and try to sleep on my little plants. Slaughtered 3 of them but some are actually surviving and have been moved so she is no longer tempted to sleep on them (I hope). Will plant up tomorrow or monday as they are very leggy due to no sun and cold weather since they have germinated. I am reserving my lone raised bed for these plants. It is 4X16 and the 6 plants if they all make it will hopefully have a good life. Craig was wondering how big the parent plants got?
Kat

nctomatoman March 15, 2009 12:09 AM

Kat, as indeterminates they will get as big as you let them! as far as what I am looking for...something good tasting and interesting! Sky is the limit on the selections from this cross.

red March 16, 2009 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my first attempt at posting photos.

3 on right: PL3 vial 05-63
4 on left: PL1 vial 05-59

will update details soon

Red

ContainerTed March 19, 2009 08:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Still waiting on the final germination results of first 15 seeds. Wanted to post this regarding PL6 seedling that decided to be a "mule". The ears got bigger and I thought for a while that the main stem would come on out, but it seems to be stopped here.

nctomatoman March 19, 2009 08:56 PM

I've often found that if you take those apparent mules, bury them deep as usual and give them some time, a central growing stem will eventually emerge. Sometimes not, though.

ContainerTed March 20, 2009 09:56 AM

I'm doing gallon-sized repots on several varieties beginning today and will let the one in the pixs above "have an opportunity".

Ted

hill60 March 29, 2009 04:18 PM

I'm wondering what sort of germination to expect.

March 16 I planted 10 each of PL3 vial 05-63 and PL6 05-69. So far PL6 05-69 4 seedlings and PL3 05-63 2 germinated one died.

Today I'm going to soak the rest of the seeds I did not plant and see what happens with them.

Thanks Hill60

nctomatoman March 29, 2009 04:25 PM

Germination should be fine, though if they were manhandled in the mail...! I would say that 80% or better should be reasonable.

troad March 29, 2009 10:35 PM

Craig,

Planted 8 seeds of the PL 3 5-63 on March 15th.
So far only two seedlings. Like a dummy I did not think to pre-soak the seeds. Forgot they were from the middle of a prior growout. Will see if any more pop up.
Len

ContainerTed April 2, 2009 08:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Update on the 05-69-PL6 Mule. Here's a couple pixs taken a few moments ago.

That "thingy" in the center has gotten longer and now seems to be taking on some form of a blob near the top.:?
Craig, is this a new look or have you seen this before?? :P

The main question is whether or not it's worth it to continue. Now when I was raising beagle puppies back in my teenage days, the momma beagle would kill this kind of thing.:twisted: I think my curiosity will let it go a little longer. But things are getting busy here in a hurry with my senior program and other giveaways.:?:

Ted

newatthiskat April 2, 2009 11:37 PM

I would almost keep it growing. It could end up in Ripley's Believe it or Not. Call it morbid curiosity? :twisted:
Kat