Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Sorry Guys I am Going to the Dark Side (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42770)

whoose September 19, 2016 09:56 AM

Sorry Guys I am Going to the Dark Side

1 Attachment(s)
Switching out my containers for raised beds both outside and inside my greenhouse.

Comments concerns?

Pics later

ginger2778 September 19, 2016 11:17 AM

[QUOTE=whoose;592880]Switching out my containers for raised beds both outside and inside my greenhouse.

Comments concerns?

Pics later[/QUOTE]

Why not? Nematodes aren't an issue in Montana, right? That is the ONLY reason I grow in containers.

AlittleSalt September 19, 2016 11:20 AM

I was thinking the same thing as Marsha.

PaulF September 19, 2016 12:02 PM

I love raised beds. Go for it.

Ricky Shaw September 19, 2016 12:25 PM

I may never put a tomato seedling in dirt again. For me, containers are more productive and the plants are healthier. I will use the raised beds for cukes, melons, and garlic.

dmforcier September 19, 2016 12:56 PM

How deep is the bed? What's under it?

MissS September 19, 2016 09:20 PM

For me, all of my plants do best gown in beds. Pot grown plants just can't complete with what the good earth supplies to the plants.

joseph September 20, 2016 01:17 AM

At my place, tomatoes are grown in plain old dirt, in a plain old field. Anything else is too fussy, and too expensive.

oakley September 20, 2016 03:53 AM

I'm in raised beds and have been growing that way for 20yrs. Three not that large and have had one of my better seasons...i think being conservative close to 200 lbs. (not including the cherries)

I do have four 5 gallon containers in another location, (city), because i have a bacon strip of sun so i need to move them a few times...as the sun shifts...and a kitchen deck with a few and some experimenting with micros this year.

I'm a good prepper...plant deep, no-till, mulch with clean straw...sit back and let it go...prune minimally early on. Feed a bit. A bit different than most here but works for me.

whoose September 20, 2016 09:51 AM

18" concete

Worth1 September 20, 2016 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=whoose;593024]18" concete[/QUOTE]

I was going to say the earth.:lol:
Worth

jtjmartin September 20, 2016 02:45 PM

I love raised beds, but I loved them more when I lived closer to MissS and had 1-2 feet of dark topsoil outside of Milwaukee. Digging and amending this Virginia clay is much harder!

drew51 September 21, 2016 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=MissS;592972]For me, all of my plants do best gown in beds. Pot grown plants just can't complete with what the good earth supplies to the plants.[/QUOTE]

I do better in containers myself. I can control nutrients better. What really makes the difference is warmer soil in spring for me. The soil is naturally warmer in containers. Not that much difference with tomatoes. I do well in ground too. But for peppers it's day and night. I only grow peppers in containers. They really benefit from the warm soil. Of course in warmer areas, containers can become too warm, and in ground makes a lot of sense.
For in ground I prefer raised beds as again I can control nutrients, and pH a lot better. For example here you cannot grow blueberries in ground. The pH is way too basic. Containers and raised beds produce excellent results, in ground will kill the plants here. If you had to grow blueberries in ground here, you could amend the soil heavily. But it's like throwing salt in lake Michigan, your not really going to change anything in the long run. You will constantly be fighting back the high pH and will eventually give up. Like salt thrown in Lake Michigan, the hydrogen ions will be pulled out of your soil as the surrounding soil is so basic it attracts the ions.

maxjohnson September 22, 2016 03:28 PM

I thought you were going to buy an iPhone.

I put 8inches thick of mulch around my raised bed, I'm waging that by the time the pine woods borders rot, the mulch around will have composted, so I don't need to build borders anymore.

amberroses September 22, 2016 03:40 PM

Yeah, if not for the nematodes and sandy soil I wouldn't even grow tomatoes in containers.