Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Time to try again? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47002)

Jetstar March 15, 2018 07:00 PM

Time to try again?

It will be 2 weeks this Sat. That I planted Cubanelle pepper and nothing has sprouted yet. Package says germination 10 to 12 days Is it time to replant after this Sat., and if so can I just add seeds to the tray that has the old seeds that haven't yet come up? Or would you wait? My other tomato & pepper plantings are doing great, I don't plan on outdoor transplnting til at least the 3rd week of May

KarenO March 15, 2018 07:13 PM

often takes more than 2 weeks for peppers to germinate. keep them warm and wait a bit more. were your seeds fresh?
KarenO

Jetstar March 15, 2018 07:25 PM

They were packaged for 2018, so I'll wait a bit the temp in my grow box is 83 degrees the box is by a heat vent and my grow light is a CFL so it stays warm. So at what point would you reseed?

KarenO March 15, 2018 07:29 PM

If you are worried, you can try pregerminating some extras in paper towel just in case if you have plenty of seed. I would think you should have some up by day 21. You sowed in flats?
KarenO

Gardeneer March 15, 2018 11:23 PM

I have found germinating peppers challenging. I often give up on them.. even some of my own seeds from last year didn,t germinate.
I guess i will get whatever i can from BBS.

nyrfan March 16, 2018 01:48 AM

2 weeks at 83 degrees & not up yet is not a good sign.

I would try again, to be on the safe side.

Use a different pot or tray, not the same one. Avoid planting too deep & keeping the starting medium too wet.

Finally, packaged for 2018 doesn't necessarily mean they were harvested last year. They could be from 3 seasons ago & already near the end of their viability, particularly if purchased from a garden center seed rack.

Jetstar March 17, 2018 10:52 AM

Well this morning I very gently pull the starting mix back on the 4 sections of the starter tray where I have the Cubanelle seeds planted, in the same 8 section starter tray the tomatoes up in the other 4 sections. I found the pepper seeds in the 4 sections of the tray all dormant, so I removed them and replanted with seeds I'm glad I didn't wait any longer hoping these sprout!

Jetstar March 22, 2018 08:06 PM

Well what a difference, I re-seeded the Cubanelle and in only 4 days 3 of the 4 sections have come up!! I'm happy, the only thing I did different this time is soak the seeds 24hrs before planting. Yeah I'll remember that next time I start pepper seeds.

Hatgirl March 22, 2018 08:27 PM

[QUOTE=Jetstar;690944]Well what a difference, I re-seeded the Cubanelle and in only 4 days 3 of the 4 sections have come up!! I'm happy, the only thing I did different this time is soak the seeds 24hrs before planting. Yeah I'll remember that next time I start pepper seeds.[/QUOTE]
I did that too this year, and yes the difference was remarkable!

cjp1953 March 22, 2018 08:33 PM

2 of my cubanelle came up the last few days and I planted them the 25th of Feb.Yet my Scotch Bonnet came up in around 8 days.Both were on my heat mat at around 80 to 85 degrees.I have read that sweet peppers are easier to germinate than hot but mine were the opposite. :?!?: