Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Undercover Gardening™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Snow load (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43666)

MissS January 22, 2017 05:47 PM

Mark it's nice to see that you are thawing things out. Soon it will be time to be filling them up. When do you close things down? I know that you are starting your seeds now.

AKmark January 22, 2017 05:58 PM

Patti, I shut them down in October, it takes a full month. We clean out plants, sweep, then douse everything with Greenshield. I will GS everything again before plants go back in.
Plants are coming up, I started my first batch of 306 plants, should have ripe fruit by the end of April and full on production by mid May when all of the flower people are buying flowers. They cannot resist vine ripe tomatoes.

Jimbotomateo January 22, 2017 06:00 PM

Do you bother with saving runoff Mark, or do you have plenty of available water?. Rainwater here seems to be way better than city water.

AKmark January 22, 2017 06:06 PM

We have plenty of water, my well water is better than any bottled water I have ever tried. We drink bottled water anytime we travel to a large city or go out of country, I don't drink recycled/ treated water.

I am heading up north this weekend, will take some pics of real snow loads. LOL

MissS January 22, 2017 06:19 PM

[QUOTE=AKmark;612929] They cannot resist vine ripe tomatoes.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have the same problem... Sigh

Jimbotomateo January 22, 2017 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=AKmark;612934]We have plenty of water, my well water is better than any bottled water I have ever tried. We drink bottled water anytime we travel to a large city or go out of country, I don't drink recycled/ treated water.

I am heading up north this weekend, will take some pics of real snow loads. LOL[/QUOTE]

My wife's aunt and boyfriend built cabin above Breckinridge Ski lift high up in the Rockies. Best water I've ever had and so cold out of tap it would hurt your teeth.:lol:. Sounds like your water is really special. :)

Worth1 January 23, 2017 08:19 AM

You ever make snow ice cream or is the air pollution too bad?
Worth

My Foot Smells January 23, 2017 10:31 AM

wow. great pics. stay warm.

AKmark January 23, 2017 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;613011]You ever make snow ice cream or is the air pollution too bad?
Worth[/QUOTE]

We don't get the bad air like Fairbanks, or even Anchorage this time of year. However, when the wind blows off of the Knik and Matanuska glaciers it can carry a lot of dust and silt if there is no ground cover, we can see the haze in the air when conditions are right.

I have not made snow ice cream for years, but the opportunity is there.

Cole_Robbie January 23, 2017 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They say you're not supposed to eat yellow snow, but with a little sugar and vodka, it's not so bad:

AKmark January 23, 2017 06:50 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;613026]They say you're not supposed to eat yellow snow, but with a little sugar and vodka, it's not so bad:[/QUOTE]

That is hilarious, hopefully you won't look like your having liver failure. LOL Snowing again, ice coming too, this may get ugly. They lost a couple buildings in Anchorage.