Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Seed & Plant Sources (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Potting mix (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44376)

Jimbotomateo March 28, 2017 01:13 PM

Potting mix

My local hydroponic store carries Fox Farms and Roots Organic in 1.5 cubic foot bags for 15 dollars each. Home Depot and Walmart in this area carry Miracle Grow which I don't want. The local guy usually has 707 but he's out of it for a couple days. He says it's a little better than regular Roots for same price. Was thinking of using my 15 gallon containers for all my veggies. The raised beds for tomatoes exhausted me.:). Any suggestions? Thanks, . Jimbo :)

Gerardo March 28, 2017 02:10 PM

707 is great stuff, wait for it. Tupur can also play well, and they give you 2 cu ft for about the same price.

Jimbotomateo March 28, 2017 08:55 PM

[QUOTE=Gerardo;628074]707 is great stuff, wait for it. Tupur can also play well, and they give you 2 cu ft for about the same price.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Gerardo, went to San Luis Obispo today and HD had sunshine 4 2.2 for 25 and Dr Earth 1.5 cubic for 12. Waiting on 707, I don't know tupur. :)

greenthumbomaha March 28, 2017 11:21 PM

Your hydro store has great prices. That is a great price for Dr Earth too. I had no idea HD would be carrying it in my area (I just checked their website).
I'll be buying a few bags to top off my raised beds. I wish I had known about this before I bought the "crap" Pro Mix put their name on at Wal Mart. I have heard great things about the 707 too, but for the price of Dr Earth you can't miss with either one.

- Lisa

Jimbotomateo March 29, 2017 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=greenthumbomaha;628191]Your hydro store has great prices. That is a great price for Dr Earth too. I had no idea HD would be carrying it in my area (I just checked their website).
I'll be buying a few bags to top off my raised beds. I wish I had known about this before I bought the "crap" Pro Mix put their name on at Wal Mart. I have heard great things about the 707 too, but for the price of Dr Earth you can't miss with either one.

- Lisa[/QUOTE]

Thanks lisa. Yes I was considering the Dr Earth but after I posted we left for SLO town because we had to go to DMV, and I wanted to see what the Tomatvillians thought.:). Gerardo says get the 707 and I think he's tried em all.:lol:. The guy said they should get a shipment of 707 any day now so I'm waiting patiently. :yes:. . Sorry you got bad mix.hope you score the Dr Earth I'm thinking it's really good!:yes:. I've used their products with good success before. Jimbo :):)

Gerardo March 29, 2017 01:35 PM

Royal Gold makes Tupur, Coir based, nice and fluffy, neutral/blank slate. Haven't tried them all, but getting there

slugworth March 29, 2017 08:05 PM

I get the fox farms happy frog 2cu ft size for $12.99

greenthumbomaha March 29, 2017 09:42 PM

The 707 is $26.95 at my local hydro store. They have a web site, paradigmgardens.com. I don't mind paying a fair price to buy local for the convenience, but in this case it is significantly higher in price. Transportation charges, perhaps?

Now you know why I was excited about HD at 12.xx!

- Lisa

Jimbotomateo March 29, 2017 11:51 PM

[QUOTE=greenthumbomaha;628390]The 707 is $26.95 at my local hydro store. They have a web site, paradigmgardens.com. I don't mind paying a fair price to buy local for the convenience, but in this case it is significantly higher in price. Transportation charges, perhaps?

Now you know why I was excited about HD at 12.xx!

- Lisa[/QUOTE]

Glad you got that good deal Lisa! That stuff should be great and I almost bought some myself :lol:. They have good rep. :yes:. Great deal slugworth on the Happy Frog. I've read that it's excellent and that price is incredible!:yes:. Come on springtime:lol:. Good luck guys!. Jimbo :).

slugworth March 30, 2017 03:21 PM

fox farms also makes ocean forest,but I haven't seen it in the 2cu ft size just the 8 quart.

Jimbotomateo March 30, 2017 04:00 PM

[QUOTE=slugworth;628531]fox farms also makes ocean forest,but I haven't seen it in the 2cu ft size just the 8 quart.[/QUOTE]

Slugworth, I just went to the Hydro store and the gal said their regular supplier couldn't deliver cuzz he was having problems getting a shipment but they scored a whole pallet from another source close by. Yaaaay! :lol:. Now I gotta get to work planting :yes:. They had Fox Farm too, but not at the great price you've getting.:) Jimbo :)

roper2008 April 1, 2017 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=slugworth;628370]I get the fox farms happy frog 2cu ft size for $12.99[/QUOTE]

What a deal. It's $20 here.

slugworth April 1, 2017 08:12 PM

When the store 1st got it $11.99 sale to get people to buy.
Garden centers sell it for $18 and the 8 quart size for $7.99
They also sell foxfarm liquid fertilizers, but I never tried them.

slugworth April 11, 2017 03:18 PM

jinxed myself.
they jacked up the price to $16.99

slugworth April 14, 2017 01:44 PM

It is getting worse.
The price here is up to $19.99
I should have stocked up when the price was cheap.