Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Fruit, Flowers and Ornamentals (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Raspberry transplants (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41269)

jmsieglaff May 19, 2016 02:44 PM

Raspberry transplants

We put in a small raspberry patch by our deck. We dug out new (1st year) small shoots from our friend's 3 year old patch. Some of the shoots had more roots than others. The ones with fewer roots are predictably wilted and kinda fallen over, but given the vigorous weed-like nature of raspberries I'm thinking I'll keep these watered and they'll recover. They were planted Sunday afternoon. Any thoughts on the likelihood of survival of those wilted ones from raspberry growers?

rags57078 May 19, 2016 06:51 PM

They will wilt some , just keep them watered and they will snap out of it

Jeannine Anne May 19, 2016 08:17 PM

Do you know what type they are, autumn or summer fruiting as it makes a difference to the pruning.

pmcgrady May 19, 2016 08:49 PM

They should be fine, I was transplanting raspberries 2 weeks ago, and you are quite a bit north of me.

rxkeith May 19, 2016 11:17 PM

if they dried out at all, they could be done.
if it is just transplant shock, they could snap out of it.
keep them watered, shaded if possible, and you should know in a few days.

keith

greenthumbomaha May 19, 2016 11:30 PM

I've had better success with transplanting small plants, about 5 inches max. Watering is very important as everyone said. I saw a video on youtube where someone planted with soil moist to aid in establishment in warm weather.

- Lisa

jmsieglaff May 20, 2016 07:57 AM

Thanks all. They had not dried out. As soon as we dug them out they went into a bucket with water to keep the roots wet. Then I planted them a few hours later. I've kept them heavily watered, every day, even twice a day on a sunny day. I'm mulching with straw this year as I've read, but will then seed with grass next year.

They are summer bearing, so I know it is the 2nd year stems that produce.

I read through The Berry Growers Companion, which seems like an excellent resource.

Jeannine Anne May 20, 2016 02:35 PM

Good stuff, I hope they do well for you, I love rasps. XX Jeannine

Tormato May 20, 2016 03:21 PM

Transplants always droop over, in my garden. They'll likely bounce back just fine.

jmsieglaff May 23, 2016 10:58 PM

A few have bounced back. There are 2 or 3 remaining ones that look pretty sad. But on one while the leaves look sad, it almost looks like new buds are forming at the ★★★★★★★★ of the stem and the old leaves, maybe they just needed to form some more roots first. Either way, 7 or 8 of the 10 plants are definitely alive and the way raspberries grow it won't take very long to fill the small patch we have planted (about 14-16 foot stretch).

pmcgrady May 23, 2016 11:09 PM

Best raspberry transplants/starts I have ever had came from Nourse Farms... Good prices, good plants.

clkeiper May 24, 2016 07:12 AM

I think you should be okay... even the few that don't look so hot. I have found that quite often the roots dont' die and you get a new crop from the roots. My advice it to cut back the scrappy looking growth to eliminate some of the stress on the root stock you have left. cut back on watering, too. Give the plants some shade such as a sheet or row cover if you have it available. that will help more than watering everyday.

jmsieglaff June 2, 2016 09:26 PM

Just updating this. Thanks for the advice. I trimmed the stems only leaving a couple inches above ground level. New buds have emerged and are opening along the stem where the old leaves were. Of the 10 plants. 6 took off right away, 3 have new buds opening now and 1 may or may not make it, think I see buds starting to form but I can't say for sure yet. Raspberries might just be a weed, but a tasty weed!

clkeiper June 2, 2016 09:30 PM

Excellent.glad you managed to get so many to take off. now enjoy them. The bees are working mine to the inth degree. The rows are just humming during the day.

christian1971 June 15, 2016 11:08 PM

I received transplants. Didn't look good. I just watered them occasionally. Next year the improved. They do spread quickly once they get going. In year three, much improved. Just have to remember not to mow over new plants.