Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Handicapped plaque (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44987)

Rockporter May 14, 2017 11:48 PM

Handicapped plaque

To get or not to get one is the question?

I have always parked in the outer section of the parking lot because I couldn't stand all the cars so close together that you can't get into your own vehicle without hitting the mirrors on other peoples cars. Or, the wind is so strong here most of the time you have to hold your door close to get out so it doesn't get whiplash and smash the car next to you in a strong wind.

Now that I have been having problems with breathing and my heart, I have been parking next to the cart storage so I don't have to walk far from my truck to put the cart away. Of course I have been parking like this for years because I was having trouble breathing and needed to be as close to the store as possible.

But I am now considering asking my doctor for a handicapped plaque for my truck. I can't walk far without getting out of breath. I am okay if I just go to one store and get parked close enough to the front of the store by the cart storage racks. But if I need to go to big town 28 miles away then it means going to numerous places in the same day.

Today I wanted to go to big town for mothers day dinner but decided against it because I was tired from working with hubby on the compost cage. I did not want to go to all the other places I needed to go to also, so I skipped it. I'll go this week instead. We just went to walmart and I am exhausted, just walking in the store.

So, to get a handicapped parking plaque or not to?

Would you? I have fought against having one for so long I just wonder if it is in fact time to get one. I have three forms of arthritis on top of the lung and heart problem. So, I have reason to get one, I just don't "look sick" if you know what I mean.

Spartanburg123 May 15, 2017 12:08 AM

Get one!!!! It will ease the suffering that you have, so that you can enjoy maintaining a good garden. Please do it!!

AlittleSalt May 15, 2017 12:24 AM

Rockporter, yes, get the plaque or plates. When you feel good - don't use them, but when you need them - do use them. It is a personal call at the time.

peebee May 15, 2017 12:40 AM

I know what you mean Rockporter by saying you hesitate cuz you don't "look" sick. My very good friend had hip replacement surgery last year and for a few months she used her plaque to park in those handicapped spaces. A few times I was with her and you won't believe the dirty looks and sometimes comments from people who questioned her otherwise youthful and healthy appearance. She really needed it at that time or else walking further would hurt afterwards and/or delay healing. Not everyone has to be visibly limping or in a wheelchair to be able to use that space. Yet she felt terribly guilty even though she was under a doctor's strict orders and within her rights.
Go for it; why suffer when you have the option to make life easier for yourself? :yes:

Deborah May 15, 2017 12:47 AM

GET ONE. NOW. I have one and it's only because of arthritis. I keep mine in the console drawer thing out of sight. Thieves are everywhere. The first time I used it I felt weird-like I'd hit old lady zone. But now who cares! It's wonderful!

Worth1 May 15, 2017 08:19 AM

Another guy and I got glared at for using the food stamp card.
We were white well dressed males.
He had back problems and couldn't work.
One lady behind us even commented about fraud. :evil:
As far as the handicap thing it isn't me to judge who or why someone has one.
I do know for a fact people abuse it.
I have known several people that would take grandma's car just so they could park up front.
A teenage girl skipping and hopping to the store does not need to be parking in a handicap zone.
My wife refused to get one as bad off as she was.:(
Worth

brownrexx May 15, 2017 09:03 AM

Of course you should get one. Only use it when you feel the need to.

SteveP May 15, 2017 11:03 AM

If you feel you need it by all means get one. But if the extra excersize would be beneficial to you, then you can decide when you need to use it. Personally I don't give a rats flip what other people think about me. I don't need one yet, but I won't hesitate when the need arises. What time a person shops can also make a difference.

Cole_Robbie May 15, 2017 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;639919]Another guy and I got glared at for using the food stamp card.[/QUOTE]

I had a roommate with a LINK card one summer. Using one is a great opportunity for social observation....especially when you buy beer or wine for cash with the rest of your food. Ohhh, the dirty looks and sour faces. The cashiers and employees were the worst. They'd bag my stuff, throw it down on the counter toward me, and walk away, no smile or 'thank you.' They were just mean.

If I was a grocery store manager, I would consider that behavior as tolerable as employee theft. It's bad business to chase away any customer, regardless of how they pay.

kurt May 15, 2017 11:31 AM

It by one shape or another is a mandate by Federal requireme nts.In our county you cannot get a building permit without meeting theAMerican Disabilitys Act (ADA) guidelines.Everyone pays for it,in our county we have stiff fines,if you don't pay they take your license.Remember the guidelines protect the quality of life for the aged,infirm,blind!wheelchair bound,person who have to navigate society,drive work and live at the same time.So if you see me standing there watching some fully capable strong humans pull into the Ada spot ,jump,out with iPhone in tow,sprint to the ATM while your Mercedes is running, worst mistake you made that day.You will be calling the dealer to get your phone FOB replaced since you left it in your running car,you turned around and the wind blew the door closed,key is gone,and the cops are writing you the 500 ticket you deserved because of the call placed by a concerned citizen.That I phone can sure take a nice image of those license plates when confronted,and with the culprits pooh pohing you.So please park in your handicapped spot,with your deserved Ada placard.

I set my aunt in NYC with amazon prime for those large bulky orders that will get door delivery on Sundays.Toilet,paper plates heavy liquids cases soda etc Win Win for her somewhat retricted movements and access ability in the city,

ContainerTed May 15, 2017 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=Rockporter;639870].

So, to get a handicapped parking plaque or not to?

Would you? I have fought against having one for so long I just wonder if it is in fact time to get one. I have three forms of arthritis on top of the lung and heart problem. So, I have reason to get one, I just don't "look sick" if you know what I mean.[/QUOTE]

Don't hesitate another moment. Get it. My wife fought it for as long as she could, but now she has the plate and the blue plaque to hang on a mirror if she is in a different vehicle. And, best of all, she's settled into it and realizes that she can now do some things that she thought she would have to give up (hmmm....sound familiar??). :yes:

KarenO May 15, 2017 12:17 PM

Perhaps my Canadian point of view is unwelcome but I would disagree that people are disabled "sometimes" or when they don't feel good and not at other times.I think it's more important to investigate why you are short of breath increasingly and hopefully your symptoms can be managed.
I think the few labelled disabled spaces available are really meant for folks who require mobility aids such as wheelchairs or are on oxygen etc.
Caution as well regarding officially labelling yourself as handicapped from an insurance point of view as well as a drivers licence point of view.
I hope you feel better!
KarenO

b54red May 15, 2017 12:42 PM

Get one and don't worry about it. You only have to use it when you have to or think you will be having a problem if you don't. If your doctor thinks you need one then he will give you one and if he doesn't he won't. I know there are abuses but there are abuses of everything so you can't base your need on that.

Bill

Rockporter May 15, 2017 12:53 PM

Thanks everyone, I think I am going to go ahead and talk to the doc next time I see her and get one started. I appreciate all that you have had to say.

GrowingCoastal May 15, 2017 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=KarenO;639963]Perhaps my Canadian point of view is unwelcome but I would disagree that people are disabled "sometimes" or when they don't feel good and not at other times.I think it's more important to investigate why you are short of breath increasingly and hopefully your symptoms can be managed.
I think the few labelled disabled spaces available are really meant for folks who require mobility aids such as wheelchairs or are on oxygen etc.
Caution as well regarding officially labelling yourself as handicapped from an insurance point of view as well as a drivers licence point of view.
I hope you feel better!
KarenO[/QUOTE]

Karen, then why do people with only a need for a cane after hip replacement surgery get a card given to them? One friend who went through that did need to be closer as she healed. People with heart ailments and other problems that are invisible are also given these cards to allow closer parking. Some of us are 'disabled' with less physical trauma than others and I think that is generally well appreciated. Maybe only in this area where seniors are the majority.

I would consider my parking in a handicapped spot now to be an ask for bad luck! I don't ever want to need one myself but if I did I would take it and use it when necessary.