Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Holiday cookies? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=49911)

Tormato December 23, 2019 06:13 PM

Holiday cookies?

I went searching for recipes in old threads in other forums, but I couldn't find anything. For a few days at this time of year, I have a sweet tooth.;)

PNW_D December 23, 2019 07:41 PM

well here's one ..... and only one :surprised:

[URL="http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost.php?p=313465&postcount=11"]http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost.php?p=313465&postcount=11[/URL]

greenthumbomaha December 23, 2019 10:36 PM

From my garden club holiday party:

Chocolate Raspberry Bars

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup cold butter
1 14-ounce can sweetened milk
2 cups semisweet chocolate pieces
2/3 cup seedless raspberry jam (used Smuckers brand)
Can add nuts if desired. I didn't use them for club.

1. Preheat oven to 375. For crust. Place flour, brown sugar, salt , and cold butter in food processor. Process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 1/2 cups crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Bake for 14 minutes.

2.Heat condensed milk and 1 cup of the chocolate pieces over low heat until chocolate mixture melts, stirring constantly. Pour chocolate mixture over baked crust and spread evenly. Sprinkle with reserved crumb topping. Drop teaspoons of the jam 1 1/2 inches apart over top. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate pieces.

3. Return pan to oven and bake for 30 minutes more or until filling is set. Cool completely. Cut, makes 32 bars.

barbamWY December 24, 2019 12:37 AM

Christmas Cane Cookies from The Farm Journal Cookie Cookbook
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup butter or regular margarine
1 cup sifted confectioners sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red food color
1/4 cup crushed red and white peppermint candy
1/4 cup sugar
Beat butter and confectioners sugar until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla and almond extract to blend well. Mix flour and salt and stir into creamed mixture. Divide in half. Blend food color into one half. Work with 1/4 plain dough and 1/4 tinted dough. Keep remainder of dough in refrigerator until you are ready to use it. Take 1 teaspoon plain dough and roll with hands into a strip 4-in. long. Then roll 1 teaspoon tinted dough into a strip the same length. Lay the two strips side by side and twist together, holding both ends of strips, to make a red and white striped rope. Place the rope on ungreased baking sheet and curve one end to make the cane's handle. Repeat, making one cane at a time so the dough will not dry out and be difficult to twist and shape. Place canes about 1-in. apart on baking sheet (12 will fit on one baking sheet). Then repeat with remaining portions of dough. Bake in moderate oven (375') about 10 minutes. Remove from baking sheet at once. Combine candy and white sugar; sprinkle on hot cookies. Cool on racks.
Description: "There's a hint of peppermint in these entwined red and creamy white butter cookie strips, shaped like canes for the yuletide."
Source: "Homemade Cookies"

barbamWY December 24, 2019 12:40 AM

Joy of Baking Gingerbread Men (this is yummy)
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (I use just a pinch)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1 large egg
2/3 cup unsulphured molasses (To
prevent sticking, spray measuring cup with a non stick spray.)
Confectioners Frosting:
2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons milk or light cream
Gingerbread Men: In a large bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices. In the bowl of your electric mixer, with the paddle attachment, (or with a hand mixer) beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the
egg and molasses and beat until well combined. Gradually add the flour mixture beating until incorporated. Divide the dough in half, and wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (at least two hours or even overnight).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place rack in center of oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Use a gingerbread cutter to cut out the cookies. With an offset spatula lift the cookies onto the baking sheet, placing about 1 inch apart. If you are hanging the cookies or using as gift tags, make a hole at the top of the cookies with a straw or end of a wooden skewer. (If cookies are a little soft, place the baking sheet (with the unbaked cookies) in the fridge for about 10 minutes. This will prevent the cookies from losing their shape.) Bake for about 8 ★to 12 minutes depending on the size of the cookies. They are done when they are firm and the edges are just beginning to brown. Remove the cookies from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for about 1 minute, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. If desired, you can press raisins, currants, or candies into the dough for eyes and buttons while the cookies are still warm. Otherwise, confectioners frosting can be used to decorate the cookies. Store in an airtight container.
Confectioners Frosting: In an electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter until smooth and well blended. Add the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, gradually beat in the sugar. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and
beater. Add the milk and beat on high speed until frosting is light and fluffy (about 3★4 minutes). Add a little more milk if needed. Tint frosting with food color, if desired. Place the frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a decorative tip and
decorate the gingerbread men as desired.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies depending on the size of
cookie cutter used.

bower December 24, 2019 08:13 PM

I adapted my fudgy brownie recipe for the toaster oven - half recipe fits, and that should tide you over for 'a couple of days' ;) Super chocolatey and moist.
Grease or line a 7X11 pan with parchment, preheat oven to 350 F

In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs cocoa, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt.

In a mixing bowl, beat together 3 eggs, 3/4 cup light olive oil (or butter), 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1 1/2 cups brown sugar. Then blend in the flour mixture. (Add chopped nuts last, if desired.)
Pour into the pan and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
Allow to cool in the pan, then cut.
Store in a tight container to keep moist.

I discovered that I have cookie cutters. :surprised: Now I want a recipe for cookies that you roll and cut...

barbamWY December 24, 2019 09:06 PM

Put a small square or pretzel shaped pretzel on a baking sheet. Top with a Rollo. Put in a preheated 225 oven for a few minutes until starting to soften. Remove from oven and press on a pecan half.

HudsonValley December 25, 2019 01:03 AM

[FONT=arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=black][FONT=arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=black] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2][B]Dark Chocolate Roll-Out Cookies[/B]

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]1/2 cup salted butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup unsweetened Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]Whisk flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder in bowl and set aside.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]Mix butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla with mixer on medium. Gradually add flour mixture; mix until smooth.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]Form dough into disks. Wrap dough in Saran wrap and chill for at least one hour. (Alternately, freeze disks; thaw before rolling.)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]Roll out cookie dough on floured counter. Cut into desired shapes, brushing extra flour off the top.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]Ideal thickness: 1/4 in. Bake on an ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheet for 8 to 11 minutes until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft. Allow cookies to cool on pan for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Tormato December 26, 2019 12:49 PM

[QUOTE=bower;751751]I adapted my fudgy brownie recipe for the toaster oven - half recipe fits, and that should tide you over for 'a couple of days' ;) Super chocolatey and moist.
Grease or line a 7X11 pan with parchment, preheat oven to 350 F

In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs cocoa, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt.

In a mixing bowl, beat together 3 eggs, 3/4 cup light olive oil (or butter), 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1 1/2 cups brown sugar. Then blend in the flour mixture. (Add chopped nuts last, if desired.)
Pour into the pan and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
Allow to cool in the pan, then cut.
Store in a tight container to keep moist.

I discovered that I have cookie cutters. :surprised: Now I want a recipe for cookies that you roll and cut...[/QUOTE]

Did you see my new avatar?

I'm not going anywhere near a cookie cutter at the moment. Went to the hospital on Thanksgiving with a finger infection. No pain killer, with cutting, digging, and squeezing for about 60 seconds. For a frame of reference think of having a finger slammed in a door over and over for 1 minute.:cry:I think I came close to passing out. Went home with a throbbing bandaged hand, and had to roast and carve a 26 lb turkey. Carved the other hand. A week or so later, burned that other hand. A couple of days ago, burned the first hand.

At this point, I'd feel safer submerged in Hooper's shark tank with the dun...dun...dun...dun...dun...dun...music playing in the background. :?:

kilroyscarnival December 26, 2019 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, wow, these all sound good to me today. I never did bake cookies, but I managed my second annual yule log cake. Not so perfect, but tasty.

koigardener December 26, 2019 04:21 PM

Breaks in the skin, whether due to cutting, burning or damaging it by other means is serious business. Definitely keep an eye on things closely. Crazy things, like flesh eating bacteria, are not something I would like to see anyone experience.

bower December 26, 2019 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=Tormato;751801]Did you see my new avatar?

I'm not going anywhere near a cookie cutter at the moment. Went to the hospital on Thanksgiving with a finger infection. No pain killer, with cutting, digging, and squeezing for about 60 seconds. For a frame of reference think of having a finger slammed in a door over and over for 1 minute.:cry:I think I came close to passing out. Went home with a throbbing bandaged hand, and had to roast and carve a 26 lb turkey. Carved the other hand. A week or so later, burned that other hand. A couple of days ago, burned the first hand.

At this point, I'd feel safer submerged in Hooper's shark tank with the dun...dun...dun...dun...dun...dun...music playing in the background. :?:[/QUOTE]
:shock::shock::?: Oh no!!!!
I wish you were close by, I would lavish you with excess treats!

For future reference, any cuts on your hands should be bandaged with a fresh garden sage leaf to prevent infections or drive them out when they're threatening to begin. I stick sage leaf under a bandaid or bandage tape in contact with the wound. You will never have another infection, but be forewarned, the cuts tend to heal open instead of closed, so you need a "step two" in the open air or without the sage, to let them close over.

Just ransacking the house for my oldest recipe book, for treat that requires no cooking, but I can't find it. :evil::oops:

imp December 26, 2019 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=kilroyscarnival;751812]Oh, wow, these all sound good to me today. I never did bake cookies, but I managed my second annual yule log cake. Not so perfect, but tasty.[/QUOTE]

What pretty meringuemushrooms and those cute pine cones, too!

Zana December 27, 2019 11:15 AM

There is a thread with cookies:
[url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=25656[/url]

Tormato December 27, 2019 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=bower;751815]:shock::shock::?: Oh no!!!!
I wish you were close by, I would lavish you with excess treats!

For future reference, any cuts on your hands should be bandaged with a fresh garden sage leaf to prevent infections or drive them out when they're threatening to begin. I stick sage leaf under a bandaid or bandage tape in contact with the wound. You will never have another infection, but be forewarned, the cuts tend to heal open instead of closed, so you need a "step two" in the open air or without the sage, to let them close over.

Just ransacking the house for my oldest recipe book, for treat that requires no cooking, but I can't find it. :evil::oops:[/QUOTE]

Would that be culinary sage? I'm all set to gift away my only pack of seeds.

I could have used sage after the scalpel. I kept those cuts purposely open for many more days, as I still had to daily keep squeezing out more "stuff".

I'll have to figure out some way to have sage in the garden. My neighbor's cat has various uses for my garden. Number one, I don't mind when it lays down in a bed of black peppermint. I do mind when it does number two.