Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Legumes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   The Gigantes are popping up.. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=40861)

Jeannine Anne April 24, 2016 06:29 PM

The Gigantes are popping up..

Really pleased about this as I have not grown them out for a few years now and the seed is a little old, but they popped up today,, made my day!!

aftermidnight April 24, 2016 09:30 PM

Good to hear you had good germination, I have them on the grow list for next year, I only grow one runner a year and it's Aeron Purple Star again this year :).

So far I have Barksdale, Candy and Witsa planted out but have to cover them at night the %$#&%& slugs and snails are out in full force. Irish Conners is going out tomorrow along with a couple more. Because of the slug and snail problem I start all my beans in the greenhouse where they are surrounded by copper mesh. Not growing so many beans this year only 20 varieties, last year I think it was around 40, but some were only samples in containers.

Annette

Zeedman April 24, 2016 11:45 PM

That is a really good bean... glad to hear they germinated OK. I finally was able to get a good crop & increase my seed last year, after two years of low yields due to weather (hailed out one year). The shellies are wonderful, I froze several quarts.

Jeannine Anne April 25, 2016 01:36 AM

I have to have my Gigandes, otherwise I couldn't make my Plaki.

salix April 27, 2016 02:37 AM

Jeannine, I remember you were having difficulty finding seed for the "correct" Gigandes - where did you finally source them? Glad you did get them!

Jeannine Anne April 27, 2016 03:31 AM

Hi Salix, how are you doing, I have been wondering where you were. Good to hear from you
Some things good, some not so good here, we must do a Pm chat to catch up I think

I finally found some in Greece and have grown the very biggest a couple of times si I am almost where I want to be with them

Let me know how you are doing

XX Jeannine

aftermidnight April 27, 2016 10:44 AM

Yum, Plaki, even better the second day.

Annettr

Jeannine Anne May 3, 2016 10:46 AM

My Gigantes are really racing to go, they are 18 inches in inside pots now and I was going to put them where my garlic came out as it is planted in my bean bed. hoping I can squeeze them in by the trellis and they can continue going up otherwise I will be in a right mess.

Jeannine Anne May 7, 2016 06:12 PM

Well the neighbors now know I have lost it.

My garlic is planted in the bed I use for beans, the only one I have with a trellis on which backs onto the lawn of a very formal church and as my beans were dying to get out there, there I was still in my PJs because I was going to shower later after planting the beans right, anyway here I was parting the very tall garlic so I can get to the trellis to somehow squeeze the beans in and I hear a very polite "Good Morning" from the other side of the trellis, and there is the minister from the church, full three piece suit, briefcase, immaculate wife attached to one arm , hat on of course. "Lovely day for gardening" he says. as I poke my dirty mud covered face out of the garlic forest.. "Yes it is " was all I could think to say. He coughed slightly, she did a funny little smile and they walked away.

But, the important thing is I managed to squeeze the gigantes in..hip hip hurrah God Bless all gardeners!!.

Deborah May 7, 2016 07:02 PM

LOL! I can relate-one time I had hair color on, out in my patio garden, and the mailman came around back with a package. He must've jumped a foot! LOL!

Jeannine Anne May 7, 2016 10:25 PM

My daughter and I, we live together with ther husband by the way are always in our PJs, she puts them on the minute she gets home, I just don't usually garden in them, actually when I think about it, it wasn't PJs it was a calf length tee shirt that we laughingly call nighties and it probably had a naughty saying on the front, oh dear it is the washer right now but I am a bit worried..

XX Jeannine

aftermidnight May 7, 2016 10:39 PM

Doesn't everyone gardened in their pj's, pure comfort :). I have a 6ft. solid wooden fence around my back garden.

Annette

Deborah May 7, 2016 11:05 PM

Jeannine, this is classic! I'm cracking up! PLEASE tell us what the shirt says! I can't wait!

Jeannine Anne May 8, 2016 01:34 AM

I just took it out of the washer is says

I prefer chocolate to sex, it's tastes sweeter , it doesn't disappoint you and it lasts longer

Deborah May 8, 2016 09:50 AM

OH NO! LOL!