Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   International (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48558)

AlittleSalt January 8, 2019 02:07 AM

International

I got seeds sent to me from a friend in Germany today. I can't tell you what that means to me.

I already know to send back Texas Wild Cherry and Porter, and I know to send them Japanese Pink Cherry. I was thinking Rebel Yell too, but there may be better ones?

What would you send?

wildcat62 January 8, 2019 09:20 AM

Out of those you listed I've only grown Rebel Yell. That being said it is definitely worth growing. We love those big pink tomatoes. I would add German Queen to the list as well.

Nan_PA_6b January 8, 2019 12:03 PM

I'm trying to think of stuff your friend would not have access to. Newer, American-made OP tomatoes are probably less available over there. If you have Karma Pink, definitely send. Have you gotten your MMMM packet? Consider splitting some of the packs with your friend. Artisan series tomatoes; Dwarf Project seeds. Post Office Spoonful is a tough plant with tasty little toms.

amideutch January 8, 2019 02:43 PM

Salt, Is your friend a member of TVille? . What City does he live in? I can look back at which varieties did well for me and send him some.

Ami

AlittleSalt January 8, 2019 04:23 PM

Yes they are a member here.

The area is in southern Germany.

asmx91 January 8, 2019 04:49 PM

Sorry,but the kinds you told, I had in cultivation.
If you come on new Dwarf kinds those I don' t have.
But - you mustn't send me back seeds... it is all ok and - the best - enjoy them.
Anneliese

AlittleSalt January 8, 2019 08:01 PM

I don't have any Dwarf varieties.

Thank you for the seeds :)

AlittleSalt January 9, 2019 02:07 AM

A reply to all:

I should have looked up the climate summary for asmx91's area. I would have sent the wrong tomato varieties. My heart was in the right place, but my mind took a day off. For that, I apologize. I knew to check, but I forgot.

I only use a Tomatoville members' real name if they have already used it in public here. Anneliese, I understand you wanting to give tomato seeds without receiving others. I know you can understand me wanting to give to you in return. Sometimes receiving a gift is something we have to understand.

The climate summary is: The [I]warm season[/I] lasts for [I]3.4 months[/I], from [I]May 30[/I] to [I]September 10[/I], with an average daily high temperature above [I]66°F[/I]. The hottest day of the year is [I]August 4[/I], with an average high of [I]74°F[/I] and low of [I]55°F[/I].

That's nowhere close to a Texas summer. However, many northern US and Canadian gardeners have sent me seeds that grow well in those conditions. I may have seeds to offer after all.

asmx91 January 9, 2019 08:35 AM

It is all ok
I can understand you, too.
You didn't choose the wrong kinds - I have 4 greenhouses and I can grow kinds which work in Texas.
I had in my live 4000 kinds in cultivation, but in future I'll do a little slowlier and - I dissolve my collection.

Nan_PA_6b January 9, 2019 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=asmx91;723528]...I had in my live 4000 kinds in cultivation...[/QUOTE]
Holy frijoles Batman! That's a lot of tomatoes!:shock:

AlittleSalt January 9, 2019 10:24 AM

[QUOTE=asmx91;723528]It is all ok
I can understand you, too.
You didn't choose the wrong kinds - I have 4 greenhouses and I can grow kinds which work in Texas.
I had in my live 4000 kinds in cultivation, but in future I'll do a little slowlier and - I dissolve my collection.[/QUOTE]

That is a lot of varieties. I have only grown around 100 varieties at the most.