Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   pepper seedlings turning yellow (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=27253)

buckhunter March 27, 2013 11:22 PM

pepper seedlings turning yellow

I have pepper seedlings in the basement under lights . They are approx 1 1/2 " tall and are beginning to turn yellow . I am using burpee XL ultimate self watering trays .

any ideas why the yellow color ? Today I turned the heat mat back on but it is too early to tell .

any suggestions would be appreciated:?

RayR March 28, 2013 01:14 AM

Bottom leaves? top leaves? All leaves?

Water used? Tap (Chlorine or Chloramine treated?) other?

Bug check - Aphids, Fungus Gnats, Spider Mites? I've had aphids cause yellowing leaves on pepper seedlings.

Any fertilizers applied?

Pictures always help.

WVTomatoMan March 28, 2013 08:02 AM

Generally speaking when plants turn yellow it is because too much water, not enough water, water that has been treated (including a well with too much salt in the water conditioner) or not enough light. There are other causes, but they're more rare. Having said that the best thing you can do is supply as much information as you can like Ray requested.

Good luck.

Randy

buckhunter March 28, 2013 05:27 PM

top leaves , well water (softened) , no fertilizer

Worth1 March 28, 2013 05:37 PM

I would bet it is from the softened water and too much water.
I use chlorinated tap water and let the plants dry out between watering.
This produces great results along with a very weak solution of fertifertilizer.

Worth

RayR March 28, 2013 06:00 PM

Sounds like the signs of iron deficiency, most likely if there is interveinal chlorosis on the youngest leaves. That could be caused by too much water or a general lack of nutrients.
Softened water has the metal ions removed, that might not be helping either.

Stvrob March 28, 2013 08:20 PM

Is there a spigot somewhere upstream of the softener? I bet there is, you could use that for gardening and also use less salt.

buckhunter March 28, 2013 10:22 PM

good ideas ! I'll try unsoftened water...... maybe a little fertilizer mixed in the water

Al@NC March 28, 2013 11:12 PM

If it is too much water, I would not add more water yet. I would wait and let them dry out a bit first, let them just begin to wilt or slowly curve their leaves before you water them again!

buckhunter March 29, 2013 08:32 AM

ok ......... do you think they could be getting too much water even with my burpee self watering trays ?

Should I keep the heating pads turned on ?

RayR March 29, 2013 10:22 AM

The Burpee XL uses coco as the medium...right? Coco coir is pretty hard to get too wet.
Coco doesn't have any significant levels of nutrients other than potassium, I would think since the seedlings have at least one set of true leaves (more?) that they are overdue for some nutrients. The soft water may also be contributing to the problem.

guruofgardens March 29, 2013 02:11 PM

Less water and no heating pad. I've started watering with about 1/2 tsp. of liquid kelp per gallon now that the plants have at least 3 sets of true leaves.

RayR March 29, 2013 03:36 PM

3 sets of true leaves? They are way overdue for fertilizer.
Didn't you get a little pack of Espoma Plant-Tone with the Burpee XL? I don't have one, but I've seen the instructions for the Super Growing Pellets, you are supposed to add the fertilizer to strengthen the plants ahead of transplanting later, it would have been best to add the fertilizer at the first true leaf stage.
The liquid kelp is fine for the micronutrients, but I think you need something with Nitrogen now. Phosphorous too if your liquid kelp doesn't contain phosphoric acid. Liquid fish is good if you are staying organic because it's fast acting.

guruofgardens March 29, 2013 05:40 PM

Ray - I don't use the Burpee XL or the Super Growing Pellets. Mine are already in Happy Frog soil and don't have any yellowing of leaves. Therefore, the diluted liquid kelp is doing fine. I'm not the one with the problem -

RayR March 29, 2013 06:40 PM

[QUOTE=guruofgardens;337271]Ray - I don't use the Burpee XL or the Super Growing Pellets. Mine are already in Happy Frog soil and don't have any yellowing of leaves. Therefore, the diluted liquid kelp is doing fine. I'm not the one with the problem -[/QUOTE]

Sorry Guru, I got you guys mixed up.:)