Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   OK to Freeze Peppers?? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42866)

whoose October 8, 2016 05:47 PM

OK to Freeze Peppers??

Can I just put fresh peppers in a plastic zip bag and freeze. What will they be like when the come out? Is there a better method?

TC_Manhattan October 8, 2016 06:06 PM

Here's what I did with my loads of sweet roasting-type peppers:

Cut in half, seeded and cored.

Laid on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper so they wouldn't stick.

Put under broiler for 5-10 min., until I could see/smell them roasting, blackening.

Peeled skins. Laid on cookie sheet single layer and into freezer till frozen solid.
(This only took an hour or so.)

Then layered them with 2 pieces wax paper between each in the pile, so I could pull out as many or few as I want so they don't stick together.

Then into quart size freezer bags, as many as would fit.

Now I can pull out one or two, quickly defrost, and use as layer in a sandwich (better than winter store tomatoes) or any other use I can think of.

Easy-peasy!:)

Labradors2 October 8, 2016 07:17 PM

They turn out beautifully Whoose. I find it's so much easier than dehydrating them. I wash and dry them, then cut them into little pieces. They retain their looks and flavour, and can even be used on pizza. I wouldn't preserve them any other way.

Linda

Patihum October 8, 2016 07:38 PM

If you have a vacuum sealer it works even better. While they're not as crunchy as fresh the flavor can't be beat in the middle of winter. Pizza, eggs and as a topping for grilled sausages - yes we grill all winter long!

Fred Hempel October 8, 2016 08:23 PM

I think Peppers freeze better than tomatoes. Less loss of flavor compared to fresh.

ContainerTed October 8, 2016 09:32 PM

If you like stir fry dishes, take your "bell type" peppers and clean, de-seed, and cut into strips. Pack into ziplocks and freeze. I do a couple pounds each year. They can be used in any cooked dish like stir fry, omelets, etc.

ddsack October 9, 2016 12:25 AM

They freeze nicely, but will need to be used in cooked dishes. I freeze in pint ziplock bags, keeping some in long strips for stir fries and fajitas, and some in little chunks for soups and stews. When it comes time to use them, whack the bags hard against the edge of the counter (I do it against the edge of the stair steps as I am coming up from our basement freezer) to separate the pieces. Then you can take out only as much as you need and put the rest back in the freezer.

Worth1 October 9, 2016 11:39 AM

Would it not be best to blanch them first?
I also see this as a candidate for the dipping the bag in a sink of water trick to remove most of the air as you seal the bag.

Worth

GrowingCoastal October 9, 2016 11:47 AM

When peppers are on sale here I buy, chop and freeze. They don't seem to need blanching for shorter freezes (2 mo or so). I find that the peel does coarsen during the freeze but the peel comes off very easily as they thaw. I do blanch my hot peppers before freezing them in cube trays though I don't know if I need to. The hot ones are frozen longer so I think they need blanching first to keep well that long.

dmforcier October 9, 2016 12:20 PM

What does blanching before freezing accomplish?

ddsack October 9, 2016 12:22 PM

Worth, peppers don't require blanching, but I suppose you could if you wanted to, and the quality might be marginally better. But if you did, they would cling together and freeze in one use clump. I use most of mine in long cooking soups, stews, chili's - so the extra work isn't worth it to me. TC's idea in the 2nd post above is good if you want to use them in a "fresher" form as in sandwiches.

GrowingCoastal October 9, 2016 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;595401]What does blanching before freezing accomplish?[/QUOTE]
In frozen cube form I think it prevents the pepper pieces from drying out during a long storage time. There is a little extra liquid in with the peppers bits and air is excluded. I think it also stops break down due to enzymes while in long time storage.

Labradors2 October 9, 2016 12:50 PM

I've had NO luck with blanching and the few times I have tried it, the beans tasted so awful that they ended up in the composter so now I save myself the trouble and toss any extras directly in there.

Since the peppers are so easy for me to keep (chopped and) frozen in ziplock baggies for over 6 months, I see no point in making my life more complicated than it is.

Linda

Worth1 October 9, 2016 01:07 PM

I just want people to look at my post it had a question mark. (?)
This does not mean a suggestion.:lol:

whoose October 9, 2016 01:48 PM

Freeze it is

Thanks guys right into the freezer it is. This is why I like the forum so much, good advice fast.