Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Seed & Plant Sources (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Seed starting mats (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46785)

cjp1953 February 22, 2018 08:12 PM

Seed starting mats

Does Lowes or Home Depot have dependable heat mats?They would be the cheapest than ordering and paying the S&H.Funds are short at the moment and I want to start my pepper seeds soon.Would like your thoughts.Thanks :)

rhines81 February 22, 2018 08:49 PM

Once your seeds sprout, where are you growing them out before transplant?

Just wondering because if you grow them in your heated house, you wouldn't need a heat mat, just find a warmer place to germinate the seed (top of refrigerator, cable box, TV, etc...)

greenthumbomaha February 22, 2018 10:23 PM

Agree with above, I started mine on the dvd top and had excellent germination. Put several layers of towels or tshirts on top of the tray cover to keep the heat in. I have another tray on the floor near a heat vent, well wrapped in a plastic bag so it doesn't dry out. There is a recent ongoing thread on heat mat alternatives in one of the lower forums.
It is worth a try.

- Lisa

JerryHaskins February 22, 2018 10:37 PM

I don't think Home Depot or Lowes has them.

I ended up buying this heating pad that (unlike most) has a "stay on" setting. And I stuck it in a plastic bag underneath the seedling tray.

At the highest setting it does not get especially hot.

And it is not very big so I rotated the tray every other day.

I got pretty good germination of hot pepper seeds.

greenthumbomaha February 22, 2018 11:19 PM

My Home Depot and Walmart sell the heat mats off the rack for about $25. Thay can cook your tomato babies without a thermostat.

As mentioned in another thread, it helps to put a foam slab, such as a drink cooler lid or a packing material sheet under the pad and cover the top of the tray with a few layers of towels or sweatshirts, etc. to insulate the seed tray. Its been a really cold winter and the heat is going non stop so I have lots of floor space near heat vents and I haven't used my heat mats. A first for me.

- Lisa

cjp1953 February 23, 2018 03:57 AM

I grew them last year in my basement after they germinated but because the air temp was only 65 they grew very slowly and some never big at all.Tomato seeds did well but are easier to grow for me with less heat to germinate.I could try under the bed as we have a vent in two bedrooms with the bed up against the wall and the warm air trapped under the bed.No light would be needed until they poked through then they will go under my shop lights in the basement for 16 hours of light a day.Thanks for the suggestions,it's worth a try.I'll keep them covered in a plastic bag.

clkeiper February 23, 2018 08:01 AM

Cjp. if you drop your seeds off to me I will start them, if I had an extra heat mat to let you borrow I would. let me know if that works for you. I would be happy to do it. Menards had them a few weeks ago at about 15.00. maybe they still have them.

"My Home Depot and Walmart sell the heat mats off the rack for about $25. Thay can cook your tomato babies without a thermostat.

As mentioned in another thread, it helps to put a foam slab, such as a drink cooler lid or a packing material sheet under the pad and cover the top of the tray with a few layers of towels or sweatshirts, etc. to insulate the seed tray. Its been a really cold winter and the heat is going non stop so I have lots of floor space near heat vents and I haven't used my heat mats. A first for me.

- Lisa "

I have never had those heat mats cook my seeds or plants. I have had sunshine cook them, but that is it. I have heat mats with thermostats which can get pretty hot and the plain old black "plug them in ones" and they don't get that hot. if you don't water the trays if they get dry you can kill off newly germinating seeds, though.

Goodloe February 23, 2018 08:17 AM

Bought mine at Lowe's...just ran across them one day. Ferry-Morse brand. $25

TC_Manhattan February 23, 2018 02:49 PM

Here is a link to the one I bought last year.
It's $12.98 on Amazon, free two day shipping if you have PRIME.

Doesn't have a thermostat, but I used it without any problems overheating, just watched as the soil or growing medium dries out quicker.

I placed my seed tray with the starter cups directly on it, and an overhead T-5 light above. It really worked a trick to get them to sprout quickly.

[URL="https://www.amazon.com/certified-Seedfactor-Waterproof-Germination-Hydroponic/dp/B074753J5V/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1519415053&sr=8-4&keywords=seed+heat+mat"]https://www.amazon.com/certified-Seedfactor-Waterproof-Germination-Hydroponic/dp/B074753J5V/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1519415053&sr=8-4&keywords=seed+heat+mat[/URL]

cjp1953 February 23, 2018 04:42 PM

[QUOTE=Goodloe;685049]Bought mine at Lowe's...just ran across them one day. Ferry-Morse brand. $25[/QUOTE]

I picked one up at WalMart same brand.Thanks.

Black Krim February 23, 2018 04:46 PM

Peppers are on top of egg hatcher.

cjp1953 February 23, 2018 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;685046]Cjp. if you drop your seeds off to me I will start them, if I had an extra heat mat to let you borrow I would. let me know if that works for you. I would be happy to do it. Menards had them a few weeks ago at about 15.00. maybe they still have them.

"My Home Depot and Walmart sell the heat mats off the rack for about $25. Thay can cook your tomato babies without a thermostat.

- Lisa "

I have never had those heat mats cook my seeds or plants. I have had sunshine cook them, but that is it. I have heat mats with thermostats which can get pretty hot and the plain old black "plug them in ones" and they don't get that hot. if you don't water the trays if they get dry you can kill off newly germinating seeds, though.[/QUOTE]

I just came home after buying one at Walmart.Ferry Morse brand.Let me think about this I would really like to try it here.Thank you so much your very kind and I do want to stop by one of these days.

PaulF February 23, 2018 05:07 PM

I just ordered three mats from e-bay for under $11 each. Brand new in the box with free shipping. Should be here before the tomato seeds get planted and before the peppers are up.

cjp1953 February 23, 2018 08:51 PM

Sounds like you gut a great deal on those,I'm starting my pepper seeds this week now that I have my heat mat.Spring less than 30 days away!:D

jtjmartin February 24, 2018 09:08 AM

I bought a thermostat with the $13 Amazon mats but have never used it. The mats do a pretty good job at keeping the temps right where the seeds like them! The 1020 trays with lids create a great environment for germination.

As soon as the seeds sprout I take them off the heat so they don't get too leggy.