Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Pickled Thai Peppers? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=30317)

pdxwindjammer October 28, 2013 11:07 AM

Pickled Thai Peppers?

We are going to have our first freeze tonight so yesterday I harvested all of my peppers. I literally have over 1000 Thai Orange peppers, the long thin kind used to make prik nam pla in Thai cooking.

I think I am going to pickle them and do a hot water bath but I am open to other suggestions!

Has anyone made a hot sauce with just Thai chilis? Maybe do a fermented mash with them?

Bring on the ideas! Thanks!

ScottinAtlanta October 28, 2013 11:24 AM

I am doing the fermented mash now with the larger orange ones. Going great.

Are you sure they use the orange ones for that dish? I thought it was the smaller red or green ones.

pdxwindjammer October 28, 2013 11:45 AM

It is the long green/red ones for that dish. I just meant the long ones as opposed to the birds eye kind.

These aren't the "large" orange kind. They are very thin and range from probably 1-3 inches.

How long are you fermenting yours for? Are you using an air lock or just stirring the white moldy stuff back into it each day?

ScottinAtlanta October 28, 2013 11:49 AM

I ask because I circulated seeds of the larger bright orange Thai pepper, which I am using.

I am only on day two with vinegar, so don't have any white stuff yet. My fermented mixture is Congo Blacks, Bombay Morich, Yellow Scorpion, Yellow Fatali, Orange Thai, small Thai Prik, and few others. It will be blazing.

pdxwindjammer October 28, 2013 12:39 PM

Thanks.

I didn't get these seeds from you. I received them from an organic gardener here in Portland during a seed trade.

Did you ferment for 24 hrs without vinegar and then add vinegar, as a recent posting on tville?

ScottinAtlanta October 28, 2013 12:52 PM

Exactly. Process with Kosher salt, 24 hours, add vinegar, 7 days.

pdxwindjammer October 28, 2013 05:02 PM

I should have mentioned that most of the Thai peppers are still green. I have one plant hanging upside down in my cool garage to see if the rest will ripen on the vine.

ScottinAtlanta October 28, 2013 10:35 PM

You should try to overwinter some of those plants.

pdxwindjammer October 28, 2013 10:50 PM

I am a step ahead of you. ;) You may have missed my post about overwintering my Bhut Jolokia pepper. I am doing that with Thai Orange and also a Hot Lemon Pepper.

I don't have a very good place to overwinter them. It is dark in my garage, I don't have a south facing window. But I am going to try it anyway and let them go semi dormant. Can't wait to try this!

ScottinAtlanta October 29, 2013 11:12 AM

Good luck, man! On warm winter days - you must have them in Oregon - you can move them outside to sip some sun and breath some air.