Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Eggplant aka Aubergine (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Pics of some unusual and interesting eggplant in my garden (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=18985)

nctomatoman July 7, 2011 09:00 PM

Pics of some unusual and interesting eggplant in my garden

16 Attachment(s)
This year (as always!), I mix in some favorites with some experiments (what else!).

So in order are:

An F5 from Orient Express that seems stable - working name was Speedy (because it is!), but I am going to name it Midnight Lightning
An F2 from a cross between Apple Green and what looks like Kermit (emerged last year in my attempt to grow out Apple Green - I assume it was an F1 hybrid)
Another F2 from that cross
Early Green Giant (just the plant and some set blossoms - we already picked a fruit. this is a great eggplant - we got it from Johnnys)
The third of the F2s I grew out from the Apple Green F1 (I looked for slight variations in stem color as seedlings). Oddly, these are all looking pretty much the same!
Rosa Bianca - no fruit yet, but it has set
An F2 from a cross between Casper and who knows what - showed up last year as a nice glossy black purple fruit, identified by the different stem color
An F4 from Orient Express that seems stable - plant not as dusky as Midnight Lightning, fruit not as dark purple - working name Twilight Lightning
The next 4 plants are more from the unexpected Casper cross. It is clear this was indeed a hybrid, since I am seeing some nice variation in the fruit, including a unique pale green with a lavender wash!
A plant from a friend that she said was a Thai Purple variety - looks like Orient Express hybrid
Italian Pink Bicolor (from Stokes - set fruit, assume it is like Prosperosa or Violette di Firenza)
Listada di Gandia - what a beauty this is!
New York Improved Spineless

I just went back and labeled the pics so they will be easier to identify

Eggplant in five gallon grow bags. The only way to go!

I plan to save plenty of seeds of all of these.....just in case some of you are interested in trying them out next year!

hill60 July 8, 2011 10:50 AM

I'm growing eggplant for the first time this year. I've only recently eaten it and the one I cooked (store bought) did not seem to have any flavour.

Does growing your own make a difference or is it a vegetable that takes on the flavour of what it is cooked with.

I really like the look of your different eggplants.

mdvpc July 8, 2011 11:30 AM

hill

I am not Craig, but I can definitely tell you there is a world of flavor difference between store bought and home-grown eggplant.

nctomatoman July 8, 2011 12:23 PM

Eggplant is somewhat of an acquired taste, and what you think of it will strongly depend upon your expectations, experience, and how it is prepared - and of course, the freshness of the eggplant!

To me, there are two "starter" recipes that can win you over. The first is easy - take one of the globe shaped eggplant, peel, slice into 1/4 inch rounds...dip in a mix of egg and milk, then bread crumbs, then layer then on a cookie sheet - sprinkle with Parmesan cheese...spray with some olive oil spray. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes until browned. These are great to eat just as an appetizer, or use them to make much healthier eggplant parmesan (layer them in a pan with sauce, mozarella and parmesan, repeat and bake).

Second one - and the one that won me over - is Ratatouille - if you have your own zucchini, eggplant, sweet peppers and tomatoes, there really isn't anything like it. We use the Joy of Cooking recipe.

We never salt/drain ours - they have no bitterness when home grown and picked at the right time.

hill60 July 9, 2011 12:26 AM

It just happens I have I have zucchini, sweet peppers, eggplant and tomatoes growing in the garden. They're a ways off before harvesting but I'll keep Ratatouille in mind when I'm giving it a try.

Thanks for the replies

dokutaaguriin July 9, 2011 10:57 AM

hill,
OUr favourite way to cook eggplant is to grill it whole with a little soy sauce and freshly grated ginger.
Jeff

hill60 July 9, 2011 11:40 AM

Soy sauce and fresh ginger on a grill also sound good. I will be doing some experimenting this summer for sure.

nctomatoman July 9, 2011 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today's Harvest - working left to right - Midnight Lightning, Apple Green cross F2, Casper cross F2, Twilight Lightning, three more different Casper Cross fruit, and the two at the bottom - another Casper cross fruit and an Indonesian Purple.

Destined to be worked into dinner plans tonight!

pinakbet July 11, 2011 01:10 AM

great eggplant crosses that you have there. :)

akgardengirl July 11, 2011 01:29 AM

I would be interested in giving the more "speedier" varieties a try next season. They all look yummy to me!
Sue B.

nctomatoman July 11, 2011 08:47 AM

Sue, remind me to send you some of the Midnight and Twilight Lightning seeds - they are amazingly quick! (and tasty)....I will do my eggplant seed saving later in the summer (once I get sick of them and start leaving them on the plant to turn yellow!)

clara July 11, 2011 06:19 PM

I'm interested in "speedy" varieties, too. This year is my first year growing eggplants - only 3 varieties (Slim Jim, Lao Lavender and Apple Green), but there are only some green little cuties at the moment and my son is crazy about eggplants... clara

lakelady August 29, 2011 07:14 PM

Wow those are some really cool looking eggplants. Do they have taste differences to you Craig? I never had any luck with eggplants in the garden until this year, I'll start a separate post and put pics in too.

MuddyBuckets November 18, 2015 03:08 PM

Hi All

Epic eggplant failure last season with Black Beauty (3 nursery plants) in my raised beds. Not sure of the problem but perhaps too wet and not enough sun. Plants seemed stunted, flowered some but fruit never set. I am in the NC Piedmont on the line of NC and SC, zone 7b) Any advice appreciated.

Will try in 3 and 5 gallon buckets next season and would like any advice as to container media that works for you. Also, am looking for a few seeds of a variety of successful and early eggplant. From my research I have found the following of interest if you have any seeds to spare:

Lavender Touch
Peng Tung
Rosa Bianca
Florida Market
Listada de Gandia
Kamo
Italian White
Round Mauve
Japanese Millionaire
White Beauty

I have Serrano, Yellow Bhut, Rooster Spur, Jumbo Jalapeno and Mexibell pepper seeds (open polinated) to trade if you are interested. Send PM for info.

Thanks in advance for advice and any kindness on the seeds.

ScottinAtlanta November 19, 2015 01:34 AM

Muddy, Japanese Millionaire is the earliest I have found, and it is very prolific. I am glad to see it on your list.